1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

101 pigeon grade kicks a little

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by restpier, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. restpier

restpier TS Member

Is it worth getting my pigeon grade barrel being pro ported and some work on the forcing cones too ???

I love the gun but after 200 rounds in a day ,it hurts a little ....just enough to mess my score a little bit.

Some say ...get a modern gun !!!!!! but this one fits so well.

It would cost me 250 dollars .

What do you think????

Thank you

2. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

If it is an early gun, it may be way light, some of them didn't weigh but around 7 pounds. Add weight. Just use enough bullet to get the job done, too.

3. trevorh

trevorh TS Member

what are you shooting a 1ounce load will kick cosiderbly less and will break the birds just as 1 1/8 at 16

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I've never shot a 101 that didn't kick! I've shot them stock, with recoil systems, ported and so on. The only one out of about 10 that was tolerable, was a 32" unsingle that had a G2. Do as you want, but I'd buy another gun. Just my opinion though.

ec90t

5. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Save yourself the trouble, I will give you $500 for the Pigeon Grade. Just kidding, I would install a pair of stock mounted mercury recoil reducers, its cheaper and they work.

Berettaman7

6. restpier

restpier TS Member

Thank you all ,but I did not know that an unsingle barrel was ever made for my pigeon grade!!!!!! any more infos about it ??

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I was just talking to a shooter out at our club about 2 weeks ago, and he was shooting a 101. I asked him about the recoil,because I have heard they can be alittle hard and some people do not like them for this reason. He told me that the gun was a hard kicker until he had the forcing cones lenthened(now loves the gun). I did not notice if he had a kick-ezz pad or not, but I would recomend one if you shoot any gun. You can always add a little weight to it after the above work. I do not think that doing just the forceing cones and the pad would hurt your wallet to much. Porting my cost more than it would help? My 2 cents. Good Luck. Break-em all. Jeff

8. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Do not understand this thread at all. "love the gun but after 200 rounds in a day ,it hurts a little ....just enough to mess my score a little bit. Some say ...get a modern gun !!!!!! but this one fits so well."

so the recoil of your well fitted gun is hurting what part of your body??

I have taken more than one physics class and how forcing cones change the laws of physics was never explained. this cure is all hype and is a waste of money for recoil reduction. Might improve patterns but will not reduce recoil. They never said that porting changed the laws of physics either. but shooters continue to buy into that bs.

increasing gun weight or reducing loads will reduce recoil (doing both really reduces recoil). Anything else is snake oil.

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

If you decide the gun is to uncomfortable and your wanting to sell, email me provided its unaltered, 32" tubes and in very good condition.

10. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

If it's hurting you, It doesn't fit you. I have a 32/34 combo with a wenig stock and no add on recoil reduction devices. It's comfy to shoot. I have shot 400 targets in one day with no recoil problems at all.

101s are good reliable guns, Just the stocks don't fit most folks.

Jim

11. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Jim101 may be correct. The 101's stock dimensions fail to fit a lot of shooters.

Before getting rid of the gun, you might consider having it fitted to your size and shape or doing it yourself. Fitting can cause a considerable reduction in the amount of felt recoil experienced.

Rollin

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have heard all the BS about how 101's don't kick BLA_BLA _BLA. That is all bullshit. They kick... Trying to find one that doesn't is like trying to find a sweet Cranberry. They have short little 1/2 inch forcing cones and having them reamed will help some but the guns are just too light. I have owned a pile of them as I am always taken by how well they point. They are fine for a hunting gun or if you don't mind installing a 1200 dollar recoil system but a stock Winchester 101 trap guns kicks far harder then any gun I have ever shot. Jeff

13. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

SOB's kick under the bed.

AJ100

14. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Sure get it ported. It won't change the recoil a bit. It will cost a couple of hundred. It will make the barrel a PIA to clean. It will make the gun worth about 1/3 to 1/2 as much for resale. Jake Oh yea, it will also make it REAL loud.

15. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

nothing will work but weight. all that other stuff is hype.

16. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

nothing will work but weight. all that other stuff is hype.

17. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

101´s dont kick, anything to the contrary is crap!

There are some people who are very sensitive to recoil, I owned three 101´s, two field and one Pigeon Grade, I have owned a number of Beretta´s a 686, three 682´s and a 687, they all kick more than any of the 101´s I have owned, the SKB is even more of a kicker than any of them all, my 885 was eventually domesticated by porting the barrels, polishing the forcing cones and installing a mercury recoil reducer in the stock.

Berettaman7

18. nokick

nokick TS Member

If it is an older 101, you might want to remove the recoil pad, and see if there are two holes in the stock. In the late 60s and early 70s, Winchester was having the stocks drilled at the factory for an Edwards Recoil Reducer. If there is a 1" hole above the drawbolt hole, you can install an Edwards, or any other brand, without complicating access to the drawebolt.

As was previously said, have the forcing cones checked! They were some of the shortest/sharpest I have ever seen.

Kevin

19. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

My honest opinion is that the forcing cone job and the ports help in the recoil of my Diamond Grade 101. I also have a Gracoil and believe me I know when I let that comb grab my cheek and bruise the heck out of me. I have taken a soft huggie and cut the bottom out of it and put it on my gun as a permanent cheek slide. I just like to shoot the derned thing and it beats the hell out of me. When I don't have a perfect mount I get busted in the cheek and if it happens to you , you will know what I'm talking about. I wish there was a permanent fix for the cheek slap but I can't or haven't been able to find it so far. Dan

20. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

if a gun beats you up...it doesnt fit you correctly.

A permanent fix to cheek slap is most likely in the pitch of the recoil pad.
    Been there...done that...fixed it.

Thanks to Rollin Oswalds Stock Fitting Secrets book.

I am amazed at the amount of people who get rid of excellent guns because "they beat me up". Take a little time, do a little research and for the gods' sake...buy rollin's book. or at least learn what causes cheek slap. Short of lifting your cheek during the shot...it is almost always...if not always a product of an incorrect pitch set-up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mercury reduction system for winchester 101

winchester 101 pigeon grade recoil kick hard