1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

101 Diamond Grade help age of guns

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Sero, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sero

Sero Member

Hope you had a nice New Year.
    I have set of 101 diamond Grades. One 34" Single and one 32" O&U.
    They are in 95% + condition but I would really like to know their age.
    I know some of you probably have access to Winchester ageing by serial # at I hope you can help me.
    Her are the serial numbers.
    Single Barrel - #538193
    O&U # 532260
    Also I would sure like to find one of the matched set cases these guns came with when purchased new.
    Would also like to find an adjustable comb stock for one of them.
    Thanks
    John Seroczynski
    Valparaiso, IN.
    219-464-1125

2. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

John,

Off to bed right now but I'll look up some info for you tomorrow after work. Unfortunately, the serial #'s are not much help....there isn't any way I know of with 101's to trace the exact production date. Look for my post tomorrow.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM....Dave

3. mad frank

mad frank TS Member

Hi Sero,

Your guns were manucactured in 1962. 101 sn from 52,500 to 55,999.
    Frank Maglin

4. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Hi John,

OK.... as to your Diamond Grades. The DG series of target guns weren't introduced until 1982. The date Frank posted is correct for the original early 101 production. No serial number records exist for guns made after 1971.

The DG top singles were introduced in 1986 and were only made about 3 years. Winchester ceased all 101/23 production in 88-89. A couple ways to estimate year made: The early production top singles had external Winchokes and non adjustable for length of pull triggers. Later ones have flush mount Winchokes and adj. LOP triggers. All I've seen are factory ported.

The O/U's are tough to date. From 82 to around 86 the O/U's had the lower barrels tubed and the top fixed full, no adj. LOP trigger. If it has both barrels tubed with flush mounts and adj. LOP trigger it's late production near the end... 87-88-89.

The original cases are tough to find these days in nice shape (they're gorgeous but not too durable) and costly if you find one well preserved. They were made by an italian company by the name of Emmebi, tan padded interior, the exterior embroidered diagonally all over the whole case in script, "Winchester Diamond Grade".

If you desire an adjustable comb or butt for them you need to have a stockmaker like Ruck, Hissem, etc., install it for you.

Hope this answers your questions.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

5. mad frank

mad frank TS Member

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for the info. As you stated, my info was for the non diamond grade. I appreciate your pointing this out.

Frank Maglin

6. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Glad to help Frank....wondering if John read our responses ?

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.