1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

100K Shoot off at the Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TMX BOB, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TMX BOB

TMX BOB Member

Grand Attendees,

Just wondering about the 100K shoot off. Was anyone there to watch it or was it that uneventful. I was looking for a thread on it but have been unsuccessful finding it. Some scores and who all shot in it would be nice, I look on R.J. Stewarts web site and they just mentioned who won.

Thanks in advance, Bob Collins

2. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

I was amazed by the lack of breakdowns and articles, go to southern.com, they have a great article that gives you how the whole thing transpired. Pretty cool.

Dennis

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Harris claims $100,000 in Grand American Challenge

By Les Winkeler, The Southern thesouthern.com | Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2010

SPARTA - When Devon Harris broke his 49th straight target in The Grand American Challenge, he knew he had just put $100,000 in his pocket.

The shooting promotions manager for Federal Premium Ammunition appeared to dance a celebratory jig when the target exploded. Nothing could be further from the truth.

"I fell down," he said. "My left knee let go. I don't believe I didn't fall down."

Harris recovered in time to cement the win by breaking the 50th target.

Ironically, Harris advanced to the event by a technicality.

The event was open to 10 shooters. The winners of each of the nine handicap events held during two-week Grand American event. The 10th winner was drawn at random from the roster of shooters who had competed in at least four events.

Harris didn't win any events. However, he finished tied for second in the Grand American Handicap. The Grand American winner, James Curtis, competed in just three handicap events and was therefore ineligible for the challenge.

To reach the event, Harris defeated Jason Folvag of North Dakota and Neil Burbidge of Alberta in a shoot-off.

"The shoot-off got me in a rhythm," Harris said.

The 10 competitors in the event were Harris, Denis Bringelson, Steve Huber, Steven Jennings, Steve Stedman, Marvin Beumer, Tim Reed, Leo Harrison, Rick Kaysa and Craig Blank.

After an initial round of 25 targets, everyone but Harris and Bringelson had at least one miss. The duo went head-to-head for an-other 25 targets.

Bringelson missed single shots on the third and fourth posts.

Harris was keeping score. Despite the fact that his knee gave away on the 49th shot, he knew it was the winner.

"When the fourth one broke, I honestly don't remember breaking the fifth one," he said. "I knew he was down two and I just had to run the last five."

Despite the pressure, Harris kept his sense of humor intact.

"I guess this means I get to keep my job for another year," he said as he walked off the line.

By the same token, Harris admitted the event was nerve-racking.

"I'd be crazy to tell you the $100,000 wasn't in the back of my mind," he said.

4. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

thanx Joe, I guess it was "thesouthern...."
    d

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Devon. I had a front row seat. I truly thought he was going to fall down after that winning shot. It was fun to be there.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Grand stands behind the two shoot out traps were packed pretty tight. When Devon's 24th shot broke the target, the winning shot, his knees buckled and there was a huge collective sigh from the stands.

It was high drama to be sure. You should have been there. Way cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.