1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1000 Target Review

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by timb99, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

On June 10th of 2007 I got punched back to the 25 yard line. I've shot 850 targets since then, and have maintained an abyssmal 87 average.

The text in the rule book is a little ambiguous.

"The shooting record of each member will be automatically reviewed for possible yardage changes after each successive 1000 or more registered Handicap targets shot in the current and previous year if no yardage was earned."

Is the 1000 target review only since the punch, or does it include all of this target year and last year? I received earned yardage during the 2007 target year, of course, but not since the punch to the 25.

Also, the rule book does not seem to state the specific criteria for determining a reduction or not.

In other words, am I likely to get the "we regret to inform you that you $uck at 25 yards" letter once I've shot another 150 targets?

2. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Check further..you must shoot a minimum of 500, 16 yd targets as well to qualify for a reduction.

Big Jack

3. Bow Hunter

Bow Hunter Member

Timb99 you also did not state what score you shot to get that punch to the 25. Some earned yardage punches have mandatory stays on that yardge for a period of time based on the score. You really need to review the newest rule book and after you have shot a fair amount of registered targets speak with your state delegate about a possible reduction. The rule book looks for a minimum 1000 target review, you have less then that for a whole year!!

Al

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

One of my biggest gripes with the ATA is that you have to shoot singles in order to get a review on your handicap yardage. In turn, you don't have to shoot 'caps to change your singles class it is done strictly on avg. Doesn't seem very fair to me!

ec90t

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

ec90t- You have made a sound point, but the counter point involves a shooter on the 22 yard line with a 97.5 singles average. The high singles average could indicate that no reduction is warranted.

The ATA sets your handicap yardage and your singles class is determined by individual club rules. Also, your singles classification is not, or at least should not, be based only on your singles average. High scores, low scores, wins, last years average are often considered in singles classification. It is not at all unusual for two shooters, both with a 93.8 average to be in different classes.

timb99- Your 1000 bird handicap counter was set back to 0 when your last punch was entered. The counter is set by the order the scores are entered into the computer which is often not in the order the targets were shot.

Pat Ireland

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Pat,

What if you don't, nor want to, shoot singles? To me it is just a way for the "good ole boys" to stick it to you.

ec90t

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I don't want to shoot 500 Singles as I can't afford it but I play all the options in Handicap-just in case. Red flags are flying!!

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

oleo',

I never played all the options. Usually the lewis and maybe another at a larger shoot. Just for me, singles are for suckers! The only thing that should be shot from the 16yd line is doubles.

ec90t

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Good for you ec90t-but can you see my point!!

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Yes I can.

ec90t

11. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

I see a lot of complaining on this site from time to time about 16's! Personally I enjoy 16's. I play NO options and shoot strictly for the fun of competing. I doubt that there are many shooters that get rich shooting ATA targets. Some possibly make a decent living at the sport, but no one is a millionaire strictly from shooting(that I'm aware of)! I notice that at the recent Kansas State shoot that 540 shot the 200 16's, 342 shot the main caps & 279 shot the doubles. Looks as if 198 shooters preferred 16's over caps, but maybe I'm misreading the stats! The reasoning behind the 500 singles to be eligible for a yardage reduction is an attempt to weed out "sand baggers", in opinion.

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Aha!

I guess I didn't read back far enough. It's pretty clearly stated in the "1000 TARGET REVIEW SYSTEM SUMMARY" on page 65.

Thanks for the input.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

ec90T- First, I cannot see how requiring some singles is "the good old boys sticking it to you". Handicap reductions are not based solely on handicap targets shot. The CHC wants to get an overall view of an individuals shooting ability.

There are a few, very few, shooters who specialize in handicap and do not shoot singles. They typically do well enough that they are not eligible for a reduction.

Pat Ireland

14. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Pat, many of us suffer from erradic vision (dibetes). I can on occaision shoot a pretty good score from the 24 (98) but having made it back to the 26 on a couple of punches for 92's I know I am wasting my money back there. I have been known on a bad vision day to shoot 90 in singles and 100 on a good day. I see no correlation between singles and handicap and like many of our rules it appears it was instituted to catch the dreaded sandbagger. Like many of our rules it penalizes the wrtong shooters. Jim

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jim- All of your points are sound. About the best any rule in life can do is help 99% of the people and be detrimental to 1%. Unfortunately, often when a problem arises at work or during our recreational time, it is easier for the managers to pass a general rule rather to to approach the few individuals causing the problem.

If a manager does approach a specific individual about a problem that is not defined in some sort of rule book, the manager exposes himself to possible litigation.

I, like you, have an erratic and transitory problem shooting trap. Yours is physical, mine is mental.

Pat Ireland

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Any and all "Reviews" should be based on a aggregrate of all the 3 disciplines....if not, then no review.

Curt

17. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Quote from Pat Ireland - "The ATA sets your handicap yardage and your singles class is determined by individual club rules. Also, your singles classification is not, or at least should not, be based only on your singles average. High scores, low scores, wins, last years average are often considered in singles classification. It is not at all unusual for two shooters, both with a 93.8 average to be in different classes."

Pat, thank you for clarifying this to me. I have read the ATA rulebook, but I am too dense to understand the 16 yard classification. I have wondered why I am classified differently at different shoots (sometimes B, sometimes C, etc), as well as why some shooters are classified as they are, and you clearly explain that.

I am new at this game, just browsing the threads, and I appreciate your response and input...I learned something!

Jeff

18. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Pat Ireland, I did not say that was my only problem. Like you I have the mental disability way too often. Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.