1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1000' Gun Free Zone around Politicians

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Brian in Oregon, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land

Screw these idiots and the horse they rode in on.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2011/01/peter-king-calls-for-gun-contr.html

Posted at 3:03 PM ET, 01/11/2011<br>
    Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.) calls for gun-control legislation aimed at protecting lawmakers<br>
    By Rachel Weiner

Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.) plans to introduce legislation making it illegal to carry a firearm within 1,000 feet of lawmakers and some other government officials.

"It is imperative that we do all that we can to give law enforcement the tools they need to ensure the safety of New Yorkers and prevent an attack before it happens," King said at a news conference with New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg. "That is why, as chairman of the Homeland Security Committee and co-chair of the Congressional Task Force on Illegal Guns, I will be introducing legislation that would make it illegal to knowingly carry a gun within a 1,000 feet of certain high-profile government officials."

Bloomberg argued for reforms of the background check system.

"Just as we saw after Virginia Tech, the Arizona tragedy has once again exposed fatal cracks in our background check system," Bloomberg said. "The law says that drug abusers can't buy guns, but even though Jared Loughner was rejected by the military for drug use and arrested on drug charges, he was able to pass a background check and buy a gun. It should be clear to everyone that the system is broken, and it is time for our leaders in Washington to step up and fix it."

King is the first Republican lawmaker to seek new gun-control legislation in the wake of Saturday's fatal shootings. Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.) plans to introduce a bill to restrict sales of high-capacity ammunition clips like the ones used by the Tucson gunman.

Bloomberg News reports that sales of Glock pistols have risen since the attack. "When something like this happens, people get worried that the government is going to ban stuff," said gun shop owner Greg Wolff. "We're at double our volume over what we usually do."

By Rachel Weiner | January 11, 2011; 3:03 PM ET

2. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

yes,,,,but the gun law will protect them,,,,last I looked it was ILLEGAL to kill someone,,,,or for a felon to own a gun, etc.,,,,yet the law doesn't and CANNOT stop those INTENT on breaking it....

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

So...........if a congressman and a federal judge are out pheasant hunting together are they BOTH in violation if they get within 1000 feet of each other??

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

And........those two congressmen that say they're gonna' start packin' heat (bless 'em), aren't they gonna' be both allowed in the house chamber at the same time??

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

It's laughable. The same old playbook, and the stupid leftist politicians STILL haven't learned criminals don't obey their precious laws.

6. Brian in Oregon

I say good. I don't want politicians within 1000' of me. Scram!

7. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

Wasn't Viginia Tech a "gun free" zone?

8. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I don't think that law will sit too well with any politician, once he/she realizes that precludes themselves and/or their bodyguards from carrying a firearm!

9. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

The politicians will exempt themselves just like they did with obamacare.

10. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

I don't know what 1000' is going to do, anybody who any account with a good contender could kill anyone they wanted with in 333 yards. What's the point they are trying to make?

Sincerely, Osker Reynolds

11. docjonsn

docjonsn TS Member

I have one of his T shirts that I am now going to send to his Washington DC office
    to show my distaste of his upcoming bill.

his office told me to donate it to good will,I thing that the congressman's office should do that, what a photo opp. that would be?

Pete

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

They are probably going to submit a bill that ammo can only be made that will have a range of 999 feet, hence the 1000 foot limitation ... Thank God we have lawmakers right on top of things like this ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. buster45

buster45 Active Member

The best I can recall..guns were not the weapon of choice at the Oklahoma City tradgedy or the 911 attacks.You can only control the controlable.If someone is hell bent on killing people they will find a way.

One of my questions is.. Arizona has one of the most liberal carry laws in the country...why is it this scumb bag survived this attack??

Buster

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Too bad a CCW guy didn't off that bastard on the spot.

Now we will feed him for the rest of his life after the ambulance chaser gets him an insanity plea.

HM

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Buster,

I have been wondering the same thing since it happened ... They must not carry down in Tucson like they do up in Phoenix ... It happened so fast nobody probably even knew what was happening and it was over ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Wee need a 1000 politician free zone around every microphone!!

17. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

One guy did, but he got there after it was over....

18. Brian in Oregon

Well, look at your city maps and draw a 1000 foot radius circle around every school. Then see if you can drive around to work, shop, dinner, movie, trap club, whatever, without becoming a criminal.

19. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

This is a joke............these dumbass politicians just don't get it.......period!
    D.P.Reynolds

20. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

To repeat my earlier assertion:
    If there's any kind of BUBBLE needed...it oughta be one PROHIBITING ANY MEMBER OF CONGRESS FROM BEING WITHIN 1000 FT. OF THE CAPITOL. They do MUCH LESS damage when they're NOT in session.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.