1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

100 yd clay bust! Cherokee Rose Resort in Georgia

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bill Marsh, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Guest

On Saturday May 30 we witnessed an unbelievable shot! Our squad was shooting the "easy" Sporting Clays course on the edge of a huge field. We were being presented with two relatively close-in targets.

While waiting, we noticed that a clay would come from a station on the far other side of the field. The target was apparently missed by the shooters there and would come out of the trees in a crossing shot, always landing unbroken in the field. This was at least 100 yards from where we stood.

Perry Atkinson,co-owner of Cherokee Rose came by, checking to be sure all traps were functioning properly. He saw us watching and asked who was shooting full choke. He borrowed a gun, stood in the box and when the next target came out of the woods. Fired.

It seemed to take a few seconds, but the target broke. We all stood there mouths hanging open. AMAZING! Incredible shot, Perry!

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Yes, 100 yards is a long shot. That said, if you have ever shot games (killers) in Kentucky, it might not seem like a once in a million long shot.

Ed Ward

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Ed... I would agree with you that a 100yd. shot in trap games is not all that un-common. I have seen several made in my games career. However, what makes this shot pretty amazing is that, as I read it, it was a crossing shot. I would have to think this would be MUCH more difficult at that distance than a 100yd. trap shot...... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Guest

Dan, It was a crossing shot! It was also with someone else's gun.

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Amen. No argument about crossing shots or with a different gun. Was he using 7 1/2 or size 8 shot? For long shots in games, most of us use 5's or 6's.

Ed Ward

6. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

My Pop used to say "yeah, well every bullet has to land somewhere."

7. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Guest

Ed, Don't know what size shot. We were all shooting 7 1/2 or 8. I assume he borrowed a shell along with the gun. The target was not "smoked" at that range, but it definitely fell in several big pieces.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I watched a video of George Digweed breaking targets from super long distances(measured) too, simply amasing what that guy can do with a shotgun!! Hap

9. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I think we need someone to post some 100 yard pattern pictures.

I don't think you can reliably hit a non-moving basketball size target with a trapload at 100 yards, let alone a moving clay target. I'm sure Mr. Digweed can point the gun, but the pattern just isn't dense enough. I'd love to see him attempt it in person.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

RickN, click on this and watch. Hap

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

Break 5 of those in a row at our club and you win the jackpot. It happens regularly. Winner usually gets about $100. The last time I won, I had to share the money with 2 others that did also broke all 5.

12. kmcampbe

kmcampbe TS Member

School Teacher.... Those Kentucky "Killers" are fun aren't they!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.