1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

100 vs 90/10

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 635 G, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Both of my trap guns have adjustable ribs---currently shooting both of them set at 100% high---get the best breaks this way-now comes the puzzeling part---I get the best scores with the guns set @ 90/10---shoot nothing but 1 oz loads @ 1200fps--what causes this-I get smoke @100% but my scores go down @100%---

Lou

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Well, Lou, "could be 'bout anything." Or nothing,

I guess the place to start is why you think they shoot "100% high." Or 90% for that matter. Have you tested that? How high is that in inches with your equipment? And have you confirmed that the two guns shoot in the same place at all? Remember that any sort of side-shooting right or left shows up as problems with sensitivity not in the horizontal plane, but in the vertical.

But, consider this:

1. Are the breaks really different? How much variability is there? Sure, we all get smoke some of the time and that sticks in our minds, but is the difference so great that if you didn't know which you were shooting you could tell, as an observer, one from another?

2. Are the scores really different? It's easy to (falsely) attribute a score change to something - shells, POI, choke - when in fact often all we are seeing that that our scores vary on a chance basis, unrelated to anything. We like to think that our score went up because of this, down because of that, but if we look back over our records we see up and down all the time, whether we changed anything or not.

3. Sometimes the densest part of pattern is in the center - but sometimes not. That means that "smoke" is sometimes the result of perfect POI placement - but sometimes imperfect instead.

It's human nature to seek patterns in randomness, "causes" where there are none. The lucky thing is that even if we are basically kidding ourselves, it generally makes little difference. As in your case. Just shoot the guns at 90%. The scorer marks breaks, not smoke, after all.

Neil

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Mark,

1. Draw a circle on a piece of paper. You can think of this as the 30-inch entire pattern or just the smaller one you have to count on if you want to win; it makes no difference.

2. Bisect the circle horizontally and vertically, ending up with what looks like a pizza cut into four big slices.

3, Now go out a ways on the horizontal line and make a mark, let's say to the right. That's where the target is, though the pattern is now displaced to the side, in this case to the left.

4. Now consider what happens when your aim is a bit off - that is, what your tolerances are. In the horizontal plane, you cut off some to the right, but you've added some to the left, that is, you still have the whole circle to play with. But vertically, that's not true, what was once the full diameter is now shortened.

Imagine your horizontal aim is always perfect, but your gun shoots 5 inches to the left. You are still going to hit almost everything if your vertical is correct. But now your vertical positioning is more critical, since there's less room for error both up and down.

The converse is also true, of course. A pattern which is too high or low restricts the permissable error right and left.

Neil

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Neil,
    What is the best distance from the board to use? For years I used 40yd. but I believe you use a closer distance. Help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.