1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

100 straight?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wayneo, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Need to settle a bet. I shot 50 straight birds (non registered) at a local club, and came back a month later and ran another 50, wouldn't that be a 100 straight? My buddy says no. I believe in ATA events, if you run 100 straight at the same or different clubs five times you would have 500 straight registered targets. Thanks for any input. Wayne

2. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

In short the answer is no. You shot two 50 straights. In order to "claim" 100 straight they need to be contiguous, in one event.

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Jerry44t is correct. What you have is a "long run" of 100, not "100 straight". In your example, the shooter would have a long run of 500 registered targets.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

They're just jealous, you're a 100 straight. HMB

5. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

For the record, if a trap shooter shot 25-25, then sat out one round, and then shot another 25-25 (same day and same event), is that considered 'contiguous' by the ATA? Or would the four rounds have to be in direct succession with no breaks in order to be considered a '100-straight'? Thanks.

LA

6. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

One hundred straight should be 100 straight. Overcoming fatigue is a factor in shooting 100 straight targets. You have taken that out of the equation.

7. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Let's see...I shot my first 100 straight at a registered shoot a couple fo years ago...then (unbelievable for me) shot 100 straight at the very next registered shoot 2 weeks later. I never figured I had shot 200 straight...but maybe I did? Oh well. Best Regards, Ed

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Porcupine

"if a trap shooter shot 25-25, then sat out one round, and then shot another 25-25 (same day and same event), is that considered 'contiguous' by the ATA?"

LA how would you sit out a round in an ATA event??? All the ATA events I have ever shot there are no breaks once the squad starts it doesn't stop shooting until the event is over.

That of course excludes 200 bird events where the first hundred starts and the second hundred starts after the first has ended.

Bob Lawless

9. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

I received a 200 straight patch for shooting 100s on the 200 bird event held on saturday & sunday. Were they wrong in doing so? GG

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Kind of splitting hairs but technically, the targets need to be run in one event to get the 100 or 200 straight. This can happen over a couple of days which is how some 200 bird races are run but it needs to be the same event. I guess you could go even further and say the targets need to be registered to 'count', ie it needs to be an event. A lot of us have run 4 x 25s in practice and that is 100 out of 100 but it doesn't really 'count' other than bragging rights.

So WayneO, you had a couple of good days shooting but didn't get the elusive '100 straight'.

11. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Aye, there's the rub! Ivanhoe, thanks for clarifying that for me! I do not shoot registered targets, so I guess the 100-straight I was inquiring about would not be ATA-compliant. But I don't concede that the ATA has a monopoly on the definition of a '100-straight' nor do I believe that straights can be accepted for only registered targets.

So for non-ATA trap shooters, the question is: how does your club define a 'straight', say a '100-straight'? For the sake of argument, at my Club, if I shoot 25-25, sit out a round, then shoot another 25-25, to me that's a 100-straight. Opinions?

Thank you.

LA

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

The definition of a "straight" is generally accepted to be the breaking of all birds in the event.

If you shot 50 straight in a two 50 bird events. you would have shot 2 50 straights.

In a a 200 bird event, it usually consists of two 100 bird, sub-events which allow s you the opportunity of either one being a 100 straight, or all for a 200 straight.

As stated, you have a long run of 100 straight...

If it's non-ATA, With most club leagues, if you shoot 4 consecutive 25's without a lost bird, it's considered a 100 straight... you can call it whatever you want, just get a patch for 100 straight from your favorite ammo manufacturer...

Jim

13. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Shawn,

LOL, LOL! I said, "IF". While I'm working hard to get my first 100-straight, and have come close, I'm not there yet, even by the non-ATA definition. Believe me, when it happens, everyone will be invited to the celebration!

LA

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

LA if you are talking about at your club as apposed to others I would say that your interpretation is correct.

Other clubs I have shot there is no way you can shoot 4 consecutive rounds without taking a break just from the volume of shooters in relation to fields used.

No matter how much a person likes to shoot you can't shoot every round if multiple fields are being used.

Bob Lawless

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I didn't mean to deflate anyone's accomplishments, heck I'm thrilled with running them any time it happens. Registered or not, smoking em' all is a wonderful feeling.

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

a "straight" score is one shot in an event of that number of targets. But take heart. Now you know you can do it so just do it. Shootem' up!

17. perga1

perga1 Active Member

It's a 100 straight in my book. When I ran the trap fields at my club if someone shot a 100 straight in recreational shooting then they got a 100 straight patch. ATA snobs don't consider shooting good scores in other than ATA events or from other than the 27 yard line legitimate. When an ATA 200 bird event is shot over 2 days and you break them all you broke 200 straight so why is 24 hours more correct than 168 hours? Be proud, you broke 100 straight. JRM

18. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Practice or registered you need to do it consecutively on the same day.

Shooting a 25 or even a 50 is good but in no way compairs to shooting 100 or 200 consecutively on the same day.

Just my oppinion

Joe

19. paul e. stark

paul e. stark TS Member

I ran 100 straight in practice once does that count?

20. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

At the NC state shoot the singles winner ran 200 straight in the event, & then ran 225 in the shoot off does he get a 425 pin. Way to go Charley Brown !!!

Phil Berkowitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.