1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

100 straight with no choke

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Browning Boy, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browning Boy

Browning Boy Member

I had a gentleman shoot on my squad this past Sunday. He ran 100 straight at the 16 yard line with 3 dram 7 1/2 shot and then told the squad he had no choke in it(open choke). We had a 10 -20 mph cross wind and he was just grinding them up. I'm an old school guy, full choke always. But this has really got me thinking. Anybody ever here of other people doing this?

Just curious

George Ware

2. jabrlin

jabrlin TS Member

Geo, If he was shooting a Rem big bore barrel he had 15 to 22 thousands builtin
    to the barrel from the factory! Have a great day jabrlind

3. Browning Boy

Browning Boy Member

No

He was shooting an old K-80 that was back bored 100%. I was amazed

George

4. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Just goes to show that those who maintain that you MUST shoot a full choke at ANY trap target are simply stating personal bias, not fact.

When the wind comes up, I screw in an IC tube and take 'em a little quicker than I normally would. I shoot about the same scores as I do shooting normal timing and full choke.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What does backbored 100% mean? HMB

6. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I have always shot either an Improved Modified or Modified choke from the 16 to the 24 yard lines. This was back in the early to mid 80's. I got sick and had to bail out of shooting because of recieving this wonderful gift I have called Myasthenia Gravis. It's a Muscular Distrophie disease. But, It isn't like A.L.S. (or Lou Gherigs Disease), if you take your medication and eat right and get as much exercize as possible one could and can live with it. I am now back to shooting but this time I have to shoot from a wheel chair. I am back with basicly the same gun I used before the onset of this disease a Remington 870. I am shooting a modified barrel and doing pretty fair with not shooting in 22 years. 19's to 22's. Any of the modifieds will get ya what ya need. The windier it is the more open I go. Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

7. IM390

IM390 Member

I've already shot with IC at 16 yards. I chipped a lot of them shooting around a 23 average. I went back to IM and average over 24. A lot has to do with the load you use. A handicap wad and a high velocity load and magnum shot shooting them "out of the house", I suppose, is quite possible. A fellow shooter "said" that was what he was doing, I never checked his bore, but when he let them get out 35 yards or so, he also missed quite a few.

8. Browning Boy

Browning Boy Member

I don't know what 100% backbored means but that is the term he used. He had said he sent it to a gunsmith who did that to the gun.
    Anybody want to explain it?

George

9. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

The "we need a full choke" crap has infested trapshooting for a long time. There was never anything to it, and there still isn't.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would want to both measure the barrel constriction and see some patterns on paper before I would conclude that the gun has no choke. The gentleman may believe he has no choke but some might be present.

Many believe that because a choke tube is stamped modified, that the gun/shell shoot a modified pattern. That is not always true.

Pat Ireland

11. Browning Boy

Browning Boy Member

It was Frosty that shot the 100. He pretty much cleaned house on everything. Caps, Doubles also.

12. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

My k-80 shoots 20inch 98% @ 35 yards Tighest pattern Ive ever ran accorss Ken Ester Backbored and rechoked as a handicap Gun Broher its tight 98% efficent
    @ 35 yards with 7 1/2 AA reload of Solo 1000 . If you have good gun handling you will break targets hard !

Pat Kelley Im sending it away and open that gun up !

13. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

With any of the patterning that I have ever done the "best" pattern (the one that is most uniform & free of holes) has been produced with cylinder chokes. How far out this pattern will stay together with clay breaking consistency depends on the gun, but it is at least 22-25 yards.

14. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

"20inch 98% @ 35 yards" you're kidding right

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have listened to many claims about 98% patterns at 35 yards using a 30 inch circle. But, none of these claims have been supported with a pattern shot on paper. Now, a claim of 98% in a 20 inch circle. I can shoot such a pattern off a bench at 13 yards but I don't think I could do it at 20 yards and I would put some money down on a bet that no gun could do that at 35 yards.

Pat Ireland

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have listened to many claims about 98% patterns at 35 yards using a 30 inch circle. But, none of these claims have been supported with a pattern shot on paper. Now, a claim of 98% in a 20 inch circle. I can shoot such a pattern off a bench at 13 yards but I don't think I could do it at 20 yards and I would put some money down on a bet that no gun could do that at 35 yards.

Pat Ireland

17. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

Anyone shooting no choke at singles and breaks a hundred straight. Should soon by a lottery ticket.

Maltzie

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Reading between the lines here: The gunsmith ,yeah, I took out the choke and backbored your gun. Bingo-bango, 100 straights with no choke. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.