1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

100 Straight Steel Challenge - 2012

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jun 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

My goal this year is to win a 100 straight badge at our club that only allows steel shot. For those that want to jump in on this, feel free to post as well.

Last night I ran a 50 after 3 less than perfect rounds.

Coach was telling me I needed to be a little tighter on the gun and focus more on the target, less on bead. I believe he was right. If I held tight on the gun and was not dead centered on the target, they still broke. When I watched all targets and readied my eye hold before calling, they smoked.

Anybody?

2. fishguts

fishguts Member

Joe, this sounds like fun. I'll pick up 4 boxes and give it a try, hopefully saturday. I'll post my score on this thread.

Wayne

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Joe, Are you using your handloads?

4. joe kuhn

Yes, 1-1/8 oz of #6 steel from BPI. Slow, very slow when compared to the steel loads people promote now-a-days. It gives me great feedback. It's on/not on feedback so I can adjust - keeps me on task. I don't hand out recipes on line; that's the job of powder manufacturers. Sorry.

Did you know Federal has a target load that is rated at standard target speeds? 1145 fps w 1-1/8 oz of #7. Our club bought some and I liked them alot to the extent that I shot them until we were out (and Holga found out I was spending all this extra money each week).

BPI has a new steel 1 oz wad. It's the PT1260. Check out the recipes in their load of the week reference above. The loads start at 1345 fps which I'm not going to shoot round after round with and take that kind of beating. I'm sure the guy doing the testing isn't shooting 5 rounds per visit to the club...

Working on a 1200 fps 1 oz steel load with the new PT1260. Hoping it will be published by a major powder mfr. Want a yardage load? Use #6 shot. It has the same pellet energy as 7.5. Here's the data to prove it from an old Remington web page:

joekuhn_2008_030329.jpg

Thanks for asking.

Fishguts and Grunt: there's no reason why we can't all post 100s this summer!

5. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

To expensive for steel. Can you pour you own steel shot. I don't think now days many people can afford to purchase steel. If clubs start going to steel the price will shoot up fast. BPI is already to expensive. Bill

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Joe, Joe, Joe... you don't need no stink'in #6s... #7s will do the trick... we all shot handicap last week and I used nothing but 1oz of #7 pushed 1325fps... and you saw how those numbers came out...

3/4oz of number #7s at 16 yards... that's the ticket!

Jay

7. joe kuhn

Jay, You've been able to accomplish a lot with a lighter load and smaller shot. Nice job.

BPI steel shot is too expensive. We've beaten their price by purchasing steel by the barrel/ton. Our club buys several a year. One of the problems is shipping the stuff. Even our club price has increased probably because the shipping went up. What we need is a way to purchase it locally and pick it up ourselves. It needs to be wire-cut annealed so it's not too hard. There's a guy at my office who's dad sells steel locally...

Back on topic, I shot lead yesterday and only got 1 straight. I found myself telling another shooter what I needed to hear the most about my own shooting. Described Phil Kiner's clinic where Phil took videos of shooters from station 6. Back in the club house we found that we could see some shooters coming off their guns. The bill of a hat would move but a gun wouldn't. So, for myself, I need to get tight on the gun and let the gun move my face (yes, let the gun move my face) which will keep my eye in the right spot. I'm practicing this movement at home...

Not going to shoot today. It's Father's Day.

Joe

8. spitter

Happy Father's Day - Joe...

Jay

9. joe kuhn

Thanks Jay. I do a lot of shooting without these guys, so on Father's Day, I chose to explore some IL terrain with da Kuhns.

I'll get back to my goal later in the week.

joekuhn_2008_030357.jpg

10. krieghoff80

krieghoff80 Member

I wish you guys would quit posting about steel shot.....keep quite about it....or we' ll be shooting the stuff quicker than you know iit.....you might give some thought that the big guys like remington , Winchester and other manufacturers are the one 's behind the big push to use only steel, for bigger profits....steel is CHEAP! And they are going to really put it to us....just look at the cost of duck loads....you're going to pay through the nose,just because it will be "required" ...keep a low profile when talking about.

11. spitter

K80...

Where do you get this conspiracy theory garbage... the shooting sports industry has spent big bucks to support the continued use of traditional ammunition - LEAD... The industry is committed to lead. Good Science has proven that elemental lead doesn't migrate and is easy to manage.

That said, the fact is steel shot offers a viable alternative to lead for those clubs (a very small minority of all clubs) forced to use it when mandated my a state EPA/DEP. Better communication helps to minimize prejudice and bad information that runs rampant at area clubs and bulletin boards...

Better for clubs that can't throw lead, to shoot steel. If we don't talk about - who is going to?! Is it better that clubs close?

Sorry, but we're not about to stop now after being so successful re-inventing ourselves and using steel shot ammo...

Jay

12. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

You better not shoot any steel shot at our club. GF, Mt.

13. joe kuhn

I wouldn't think of it. I shoot lead whenever I can and will not shoot steel at a club that is lead based particularly if they harvest their lead. I wouldn't think of polluting the lead in the field. I might be a customer some day for that recycled shot and I don't want steel in my lead reloads as much as the next guy!

We are not steel 'crazies'. I don't believe there's anyone at our club who would ever think of shooting steel at a lead based club. We happen to shoot steel because we must and we've worked hard to make it practical to reload steel in very comparable target loads. They are comparable in cost and in ballistics. Many shooters at our club shoot lead at other clubs. I bet they all prefer lead.

I loaded the machines at Naperville when I was a kid and will continue to shoot there because of my personal ties and because I like the shooters there. It's a great club with regular shooting programs that vary. Many have worked hard to keep it alive and steel shot happens to be one of the compromises. Our club is now surrounded by subdivisions, garden plots, a high school, baseball diamonds and a scout campground. It's nothing short of a miracle that we are still there. Better to continue to shoot with steel than not at all as Jay has noted.

Steel is not the demon many think it is. We're here to inform, not push the practice. If anyone would like to see what we're up to, contact me and I'll show you around and pay for a few rounds if you'd like to try it. You can check out the guns on the racks and look down a few barrels, even check a few chokes and watch some targets turn to smoke...

Joe

14. joe kuhn

The general public isn't afraid to come out and give it a try. We're having a banner year. The second amendment is alive and well in Naperville, IL.

15. spitter

...rounds up 40%+ over 2011 YTD.

Joe... I'm taking you up on the challenge. Let's plan a Singles Marathon...

Jay

16. Rem29

Rem29 Member

Our club has been steel only for a year. I personally shot 144 straight last Thursday night. Winchester #7's. Browning Citori XT 30" IM choke. Going to steel is what it is...

17. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

Joe

It's been quite a while since you last ATA shot with us at Glen Park. When you do run them with steel, come and do it at an ATA shoot at Glen Park with lead. Wayne will put you in the $100 Bounty Hall of Fame, and we'll throw in a one of a kind 100 straight pin plus $100 for your efforts. Then stick around and do it in the handicap, and be the first ever to collect the $500 Bounty.

Besides, I need a ringer to keep our guys on their toes.

Bill Radwan

18. joe kuhn

Hey Bill, will do.

Jay - see you Thursday!

Nice shooting there Rem29.

19. Rem29

Rem29 Member

Thank you Joe, may you double my run...

20. joe kuhn

Rem29 - while we're on the topic, why don't you give us some context about your club. Tell us why they went to steel, how attendance is going, etc. We noticed a 'sell off' at our club but attendance is back up and booming. It's as though it doesn't really matter. As you say, it's just different, but not by much. With the new wads that have thicker petals (or harder plastic) and the removable chokes made for steel, it's an easy conversion. BTW I shoot an 870 with a fixed Full choke that measures .035 constriction. Smokes 'em up real good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.