1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

100 Straight Pressure - knocking on the door!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Porcupine, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I'm on a roll right now, and I know my gun fit and shooting techniques are ready to give me a 100 straight. However, I need to be a little better prepared to handle the mental side: the ability to handle the pressure of the last twenty-five birds. It's more than just breaking one clay at a time! How have other posters here dealt with this issue?

Second question: Any opinions about the Lanny Bassham book, "With Winning in Mind"?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. When I get my first 100-Straight, the suds will flow, and all TS.com-ers are invited!

LA in MA

2. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

LA, Read LAnny Basham's book, it WILL help!!!

3. gr8shot

gr8shot Member

you have to turn the pressure into something positive. when i feel that tension start, i put it to good use. Lanny's book will help you do just that.
    read the blog listed above and think nothing but positive things. be open to the help the mental management system will give you.

relax and let the 100's roll in. i broke a 199 for the singles championship this weekend and contribute my mental toughness to Lanny's system. if you have questions, email me your phone #.

steve sprout

4. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

Just broke my first 100 late last year. Without the help of Phil Kiners DVD and his on-going support I would have never go it done.

Matt Nicol

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I drank two beers before I broke my first 100, never even thought about pressure. I was very relaxed and knew it would happen

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Listen to Lanny. HMB

7. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Almost! 24-24-25-25-23.

It's just a matter of time .........

LA

8. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Using this goute:"Cuban I wished that you had added a LOL to the end of your post so people underestand you are kidding Booze is for after shooting not before or during... "

There are shooters here that have shot long enough that they remember the olden days when open beer cans on the line was not a broken rule, of any kind, so just maybe he is not kidding. just saying how long ago it was when he ran his first 100 straight.

The No booze rule is a very good rule that was added on many levels, and made a good sport safer. Some shooters shot before it and may speak of it, but they are talking historic stuff! Almost ancient stuff!

When I ran my first 100 straight I woke up knowing that this would be the day I did it, then went out and did it! there was some pressure to not screw it up when I got to the last 25, but I got them all!

Now if I could just find that feeling again!

AL

9. biff

biff Active Member

LA, Are you ready, really ready when you call for the target? Usually the one target you miss is one you have broken hundreds of times before - so are you really "Ready" when you called for the target you missed? Biff

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

AL - I can relate to your post above. A few times, I have had the "feeling" you mentioned, but not often enough. Now, I seem to concentrate on the desire to run 100 and not enough on the work to run 100.

Pressure- I don't feel any pressure, actually it is a fear of messing up, until around the 95th bird. If I get to 98 straight, the fear is gone and I just enjoy breaking the last few birds. But, twice I have missed the very last bird for a 99. I remember both of those shots well.

Pat Ireland

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Are you thinking about the result before you actually shoot it, I call it cashing the check before you write it. Recently I was sitting on a 199 but before breaking the last target I knew that 199 might be high in class and I was wondering where it would place. Whoops lost last target for 198 which tied for 2nd and lost carry over. Moral of the story don't let your brain cost you targets, stay on the job at hand, don't think about past or future targets.

Don

12. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Been shooting trap four months, some registered. The other day, I shot 24,25,25,23,25. On the 23 round, there were numerous problems on the round, not the least of which was a heckler in the peanut gallery shouting out "LOST", to someone on the round, even tho' the birds were broken. Now it sticks in my mind that he might have cost me my first 100.

What's up with these hecklers? Do they need to be told to shut-up?

Thank you,
    Longshooter

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Yes or removed.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.