1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

100 Straight Pad Adjuster

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by tombitt, Dec 26, 2016.

1. tombitt

tombitt Member

Has anyone ever put one of these on by themselves? Did you use the the grinder to grin to the size and then hand sand to proper fit. Also how did you like the feel after it was on and adjusted?

Thanks for your feedback

2. railroad

railroad TS Member

There are a couple of options with fit and finish. You can leave the alum with a brushed finish by using a finer grinding material at the last fitting. You can also go from the the fine grit to a polisher for a mirror finish.
    Another option is matching the angle on the toe of the stock and letting it carry into the metal and kick pad. If you cannot maintain the angle, a square cut all around the adjuster will work. Midway probably has some good videos for helping. I know Kickeez has some videos on grinding the pads.

tombitt thanked this.
  3. BENCHREST

BENCHREST Active Member Supporting Vendor

Railroad is correct, it is pretty simple to install and finish with a belt sander and buffing wheel. The toe of the pad can be done with a jig or by eye. Just remember to sand all 3 sides and leave the toe for last, match it up to the stock and determine the angle you need to be left. Joe

tombitt thanked this.
  4. tombitt

tombitt Member

Thanks, I am going to try to grind it down now I will let you know how it turns out. The info one matching the toe is great I didnt think of that

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that you'll have to elongate (sideways) any hole you put in the butt pad to loosen/tighten it if you intend to move the pad sideways. You won't be able to move it very far otherwise.

pad measure.JPG

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  6. PatR

PatR Member

I did this once. It wasn't a big deal. Just be careful if you leave it on the stock when you get to the final grinding. Easy to scar the wood. Touch up with Tru-Oil. I only had a very little sliver of a scar. Touched beautiful.

7. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I haven't used a 100 straight brand but have used the Stock Positioning stuff and found that using the existing pad as a guide worked well.

I suppose you could use a grinder but they tend to build up heat very quickly. I cut the majority on the band saw and then grind to the line, check fit, and grind some more.

And the leave the toe for the end is spot on.

BENCHREST thanked this.
  8. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Machine Shop 101...NEVER GRIND ALUMINUM! It loads up the grinding wheel causing it to heat up to the point it can (and will) explode. Use a disc or belt sander.
    Ken Rucker...Speedbump Stockworks

tombitt and warpspeed thanked this.
  9. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

That's good to know. I've always used a file or sander, mostly a file. :)

10. Conway

Conway TS Member

Thanks for the info,I will use my belt sander.

11. tombitt

tombitt Member

Got it all done and it turned out nice. I like the option to cant the pad to fit into the pocket, makes shooting it more comfortable.

Thanks for the ideas everyone