1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

100 straight or 300 game?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StonewallRacing, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Earlier today, my son and I were discussing which was harder to do; shoot 100 straight in trap singles or bowl a 300 game?

The discussion came after he rolled his first 300 game yesterday after shooting his first registered 100 straight in September.

I guess at the end of our discussion he felt the 100 straight was more accomplishment but he felt more satisfaction from the 300 game because of the number of friends who where there to watch. (It was in High School league.)

I'll never know because I'm not good enough to ever accomplish either!

Thoughts from the expert panel here on TS.com?

2. CANTWIN

CANTWIN Member

300 game is harder I have done both games for a long time and have shot more 100 than I can count but never bowled a 300.Your son is vary good and you must be proud.

hook

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

300 game by far. A quick google search showed the person with the most recorded 300 games has 30. I'm sure there have been hundreds of people over the year who have or had registered more than 30 100s in their career. In terms of ATA, I would say a 300 game would be equivalent to a Grand Slam, in NSSA terms, a 300 game would be equivalent to a 400x400...

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have been bowling leagues and tournaments for going on 5 years now and only had two (2) 300 games, they don't come easy thats for sure ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I have stopped counting my 100's but have never had a 300 game. Congrats to your son.

Rich in Indiana

6. over/under

over/under Member

Maybe a 100 straight in doubles is comparable. 100 straight from 27 might be tougher than a 300 game.

7. StonewallRacing

I guess I agree with the 300 being harder....

He's been shooting for three years and carries a 96/100 average in singles, shot 99/100 five times before going straight. But on his High School team, only 2 of 70 kids have gone straight in registered. We went to 20 shoots last year and other than state & zone shoots and SCTP Nationals, 100s were few and far between.

He's been bowling for twice as long, but did not get serious and start competing until his freshmen year (last year) when he joined the High School bowling team. (You gotta do something when it's too cold to shoot.) There are about 25 kids on the team and three of them have now rolled 300's. (The other two are exceptional bowlers.) He averages 196 this year and his best game was 268 so the 300 really came out of nowhere....

Perhaps 200 straight or 100 in doubles is a better comparison....
    I'll give him that as his goals for this summer!!! LoL!

We are really proud of him.

SW

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If your son got the 300 game in a santioned league event he can get a ring from the USBC with 300 on it ... I know there are some high school leagues that are and many that are not santioned which will not get him anything but a pat on the back and an attaboy ... Fact is its still quite an accomplishment being as less than 30% of all bowlers with the exception of the Professionals will get a 300 game in their lifetime ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. StonewallRacing

It was sanctioned. Ordered the ring last night.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Wonder what percentage of Trap Shooters will not get at least one 100 straight in their lifetime? Just curious?

Matt

11. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold TS Supporters TS Supporters

You roll the ball 12 times. You pull or release the trigger 100 times. I had a perfect game going last night, but blew it in the second frame.

12. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I agree that a 300 straight in bowling would be harder.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

300 game in bowling for sure.

100x100 in singles trap is just another day. Relatively common for guys that shoot alot. 100x100 doubles or 27 yard HC is a different story, that is something to crow about but still more common than the 300 bowling game.

14. shootintom

shootintom TS Member

I own 2 300 games and a couple of 100 straights in trap and skeet and I'm heere to tell you that the 300 is significantly tougher. Though today with the equipment that's available to today's bowlers it's much easier. Check USBC records sometime and you'll see that the honor scores have skyrocketed. It's mostly since the reactive resin balls came on the scene. I will say that both achievements take both practice and talent so if you are among those who have done so - "CONGRATULATIONS"!!!!

Tom

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Congratulations to your son and to you for supporting him in his ventures, glad he will get what he deserves in getting the 300 ring ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. BD Trapshooter

BD Trapshooter Member

I agree with shootintom. I am the owner of many 300 games and even 800 series. I have long ago quit counting 100 straights. The 300 is much easier today than 25 years ago when I had my 1st one. Todays equipment is so much better.I would say that 100 straight from the 27 would be somewhat comparable. I don't think trapshooting equipment or ammunition is that much better today than it was 25 years ago.

Dan McDermott

17. StonewallRacing

Thanks for the responses....

I seriously think his competition shooting has toughened his mental approach and made bowling easier for him. He does a great job a reading his breaks and making adjustments in shooting and he uses same approach on the lanes.

He said he didn't even get really nervous until after it was over, said his knees were shaking like crazy after he threw the twelfth ball and everyone was coming up to congratulate him.....

He's only at the 23 now, so we'll have to get him back to that 27 this summer!

SW

18. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Congratulations to both you and your son. Always great to see someone excel in any endeavor. Great for a family to have something to be proud of.

19. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

Having Thrown that 12 ball and shot that 100 straight much rather shoot at the 100th then throw that 12 ball. But the ring sure is nice to look at. Jeff

20. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

It all depends if you are a good shooter or a good bowler? Clyde D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.