1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

100%+ POI? Why not?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JBrooks, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Rule One, in its many variations, says you should "see the target". OK, that means you have to keep the target above your rib until you fire, right?

Now, assuming that you don't wait until the target has reached its highest point before you fire,(which is probably way to long for good scoring), the target is still rising when you fire. So, if the target is above your rib when you fire and it is also still rising, why would you want any % of your pattern's POI to be below your POA when you fire?

The pattern percentage that is below your POA has no chance of hitting the target unless you wait too long to fire and the target is not rising or you sweep the gun up though the target losing sight of the target, neither a good thing.

2. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

JB, I don't care what my POI is as long as I break the bird with my setup. My POI just happens to be 100% at 28 yards. Your right, it works..for some.

3. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Every one is different! what works for one may not work for another. Generalizations lead to poor scores.
    Joe goldberg

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"Generalizations lead to poor scores" LOL

How about "make sure your gun fits" LOL

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Many of good to excellent shooters have used a flat shooter. Bonillas being one.

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I agree with Dove Commander 100% . Your POI really means little if you don,t hit targets . I shot a Silver Seitz for four years POA was 120% . I never thought about it shooting high I just seen the target and shot it . Now I,m shooting a bowen at 80% Still a fast trigger still a release trigger and I shoot it the same . Two years ago I broke 13 97,s or 98,s in a row in singles with the Seitz. This year with the Bowen I have only shot about 600 singles with it so far I,m still learning . But I have broke a 100 and some high 90,s . The gun must shoot were you look . After that it,s all just numbers .

7. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Just a note. I have 13.5 shims in my Seitz comb. Do you know how long it takes to figure out you need 13.5 shims? About 3 weeks. I can still make a fig 8 with the rib at the 90/10 setting.

8. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

My POI is 100% at 69 yards.

9. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Del, 50% @ 34.5 yards????

10. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

jbrooks,
    I think that's what I was saying.
    Joe goldberg

11. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I shoot a 70/30 point of impact at 40 yards for ATA trap shooting. Target just disappears. In my younger years I used to shoot pretty good, second in the ATA to ever run 100 singles, 100 from the 27, and 100 doubles in the same day. So I guess you could say 70/30 worked for me.

When I shot pot shoots my guns shot between 80/20 and 90/10 as the targets were much higher and faster.

When I shot sporting clays my guns shot a 50/50 point of impact. I was one of 5 team members on team USA that represented America in Europe ( 1987 ).

All my clay guns have release triggers and my hunting guns have pull triggers.

When I hunt quail and huns my guns have a 50/50 point of impact. I hunt with my five bird dogs from September to late January.

Guys like Bonillas, P. Ross, Orlich, Leo Harrison, Kay, and many others shot guns that shoot no higher than 75%. It's different strokes for different folks, one size doesn't fit all, experiment and see for yourself what works for you. It's lead thru the barrel. There are many others that shoot high shooting guns,and very well I might add, but find out what works for you and then leave it alone.

Years ago I was a Ray Staffords gun club in Colorado and he loaned me his gun that shot about 24 inches high, I shot at 20 singles targets with his gun and missed 17 out of 20 and stopped. I went back in and he took out his release trigger and installed into a MX-3 and I returned to the field and shot a 24 from the 27 with a standard gun.

Be your own person, find out what works for you, just because Joe Biggun shoots a gun that shoots ????? high doesn't mean you need to be a copycat. I'm a old man now ( 72 ) but still use the same point of impact I did 25 years ago.

Tom Strunk

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

72 doesn't sound so old anymore. :)

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Tom S. still shoots like a youngster, quick! Make that quick and deadly when he wears the right glasses? :) Hap

14. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

What, he's got lucky glasses?

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Tom probably doesn't use more than the inner 12" of his pattern so 70/30 is 100% high.

16. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Devil's advocate comment regarding the statement that none of the pattern below the target has any chance of hitting it: Neither do any of the pellets that are over or to the right or left of the target.

Patterns compensate for slight shooting or pointing errors. Given that to hit targets with the center of the pattern, the pointing must be prefect and that this rarely happens, the dimensions of the pattern is what compensates for the errors.

In my opinion, it is more difficult to judge how far under targets the barrel should be when crating sight pictures with vary high-shooting guns in that it is more difficult to judge the apparent vertical distance between the bead and the target.

Sure, high patterns require a reduced swing distance but shorter swings are not necessarily smooth swings.

Rollin

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Although I have come to see the advantage for me when shooting a gun with a high POI, I like a FEW bb's under the bead, in case I overswing the gun a little.

For Singles and Caps,I prefer a POI approaching 100%. It is easier(for me) to set the gun for caps and adapt for 16's than the other way.

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Frank Little tried to shoot a few targets with my 100% high shooting K-80 many years ago. Needless to say, he broke none. Frank's guns always shot fairly low by todays' standards!!

19. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I believe Tom's reply is the correct one. Every shooter shoots a different POI because every shooter sees, and shoots, the target differently. Phil Kiner wrote a great article in Trap and Field on how to set up your gun for the POI that is right for you, and you alone. Once you have found the POI that suits your style of shooting, leave it alone! It's way too easy to get into a small slump and think that, if I just raise, or lower, my POI that will solve the problem. It never does, trust me. Find out what's right for you and don't pay any attention to what other shooters POI's are. If they are a really good shooter, chances are they have their POI adjusted to what suits their style. Ask any all american, or top gun if they change their POI based on what other shooters are shooting.... Get the message here?.......Just my experience.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

JBrooks, I too think as you do. What sense does it make to have any pellets under where youi are looking? The asnswer is that it does not. That doesn't mean that every shooter can shoot a 100 or higher shooting gun. What I think is funny is that the same people who wouldn't shoot 1oz loads will shoot a gun where 50% of the pellets have little chance of hitting the target yet with a 100% impact the 1 ounce load has about 25% more pellets then a 50/50 gun that the shooter just touches the bird! I don't understand it so welcome to the crowd. There are some world class shooters that shoot low impacts so it's hard to argue with the champions. Daro Handy shoots 100% high or better and still holds the long run from the 27 yard line at over 500 straight. I guess if you base it on logic it makes sense to shoot a 100% high gun. I am an old duck hunter and sometimes swing all the way through a bird with my 100% high shooting gun and the next thing I hear is LOST!!!. The sword cuts both ways with a high shooter. All in all the high impact has given me far more targets then it has taken away. I have short shot a bunch of targets that still broke! Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.