Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

100 PER TRAP

7K views 56 replies 35 participants last post by  senior smoke 
#1 ·
this is not to start a feud but just out of curiosity what is the preferred method of shooting 100 registered targets? In our area we see a variety of methods.

100 per trap

25 / trap, shotgun start. (start all traps shoot 25 and rotate. 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4, 4 to 1 etc.)

start one trap, no rotate, in other words start trap 1 and 2,3,4 sit idle. 1 goes to 2, squad 2 starts on 1 and 3 and 4 sits idle. You get the idea.

1 to 2, 2 o 1, 3 to 4, 4 to 3, switch after 50. starts all 4 traps at once. ( hang up being fast/ slow squads and short squads.

we went to 100 per trap when Pat traps and voice release became standard. Shooter can choose his trap. Plus we have to hire our setters and scorers and at $8-$9 a. Hour we can't have help sitting idle

#4 ·
On our marathon days we try to shoot 50-50 but on program days, we shoot 25x4. Problems with shotgun start are getting four squads to the line at once and slow or short squads will goof the timing up.

I like the idea of 100 per trap if the backgrounds are all the same, like Corinth, Mississippi but if I had to shoot a 100 in front of the erector set at Indiana Gun Club, I would not be happy, happy, happy.

#11 ·
Like everybody else, I prefer 4X25, then 2X50, and finally 1X100. As a shooter, it seems more fair that everybody shoots on a variety of traps, with a variety of backgrounds (I agree with the comment about Indianapolis). And squad turnover is faster by definition. But it's different if you're trying to get everybody home for dinner at a respectable hour.

The number of squads you've got and the number of traps makes a difference. We had to shoot 1X100 this weekend because we're growing our way out of a capacity issue. I worked up a model in Excel that let me play with the number of shooters, squads and traps. I didn't mess with the 4X25 alternative, but it turns out that 1X100 is a lot more efficient than 2X50, because half your traps are idle for the first and last squads.

I spent a fair amount of time working out the finish time under each alternative, and the thing that makes the difference is leading and trailing squads, when one trap is idle. With 1X100, all of your traps are fully in use all the time. With 2X50, you add 30 to 35 minutes for the first squad to clear the trap, and then wait another 30 to 35 minutes waiting for the last squad to finish. So the difference between the two alternatives is about an hour per event.

Another variable that matters is how many flights you have. There is a tipping point where you have to add another flight, which means you have to add another hour. If you're running six traps, for example, the first six squads you add don't matter at all. But as soon as you start the 7th, you've added an hour, and that's a problem if time is tight.

My estimates were pretty close this weekend, so I can't be too far off. PM me if you want a copy of the spreadsheet.

#15 ·
I like the 25 on four traps, starting on trap one. If the shoot is well run you can get a lot of squads through that way.

The problem with 100 per trap is that the squads tend to mess around in between rounds. The impression is that since there is no squad coming from behind to push them, so they feel they have all the time in the world.

At this point I just don't care to do the 100 per trap thing. I hate being the on deck squad trying to figure out what box the squad ahead is on. Do we have 10 minutes or 45 until we shoot?

#16 ·
The 100 per trap seems to get the day over earlier. For those of us who travel any distance it's the only way to go. As far as messing around between traps one of the officials should be on top of that.

In my opinion the only time the 25 x 4 has any advantage of fairness between the three is when the background is considerably different down the line.

My vote is 100 per trap.

#18 ·
Regardless of 50/50 - 100 - 25/25/25/25 - folks in the know somehow wind up shooting on the best fields. Some layouts where all fields are similar make it fair for all.

Layouts that have better fields or better backgrounds somehow manage to see the shoot management on those "chosen" traps....

Of course this might not exist everywhere but it could happen at a club near you....

FRedmon

#24 ·
100 per trap is my favorite way. 25X4 would be fine on a shotgun start other wise 50/50 would be ok too. The way I figure it the fastest way to get through 100 is to do 10 from a post and do 50/50. Not that I would be a fan but I think this would be the fastest way. Another thing that I find would speed up a shoot is to not wait between singles and caps. Then as soon as caps are done on a trap set it up for doubles and start right in, there is no need to wait for everyone to get done. I think you could get through a shoot in record time. If you announce that you will do it that way people can squad accordingly. I was at the shoot in question, the biggest problem was the down time, cut out the down time and the shoot will rush itself. Im sure nobody expected 86 shooters either!!!

#25 ·
if you have 85 shooter you have 17 squads. six fields makes it a little interesting....but if I were running the shoot i'd shoot 50 per trap and have three banks.

that way, you're using all six traps and all your help is busy.

You should have two goals: 1) get done as quick as possible to save the club money on labor and 2) ensure that a shooters 100 is done as continuously as possible....no one that I know likes to shoot a trap, wait 30 minutes, shoot another trap and so on.

If you start three squads on trap 1, 3 and 5 and let them shoot 50, it will be about 30 minutes or so before they move traps and the next three squads start. Little more/little less depending on the size of the squad. all the guys will get to shoot their 100 straight through once they start. They might have to wait to start, but once they get going, they go straight through.

#26 ·
couple of things happened there. Yes I would have predicted that many shooters knowing good weather. There will be 3-4 more shoots this year where we will have that kind of turn out weather permitting. Classification was caught pants down with the new system. Short of trap help they should have recruited help from the shooters and ran all of the traps. I have already doubled the help for the zone shoot and hopefully the classification will be smoother. New building, new class system. Be patient OCSC will fix the problems and continue to throw some of the best targets in the Midwest. Let me know what you think of the building

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.