1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

100 & 200 straight

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bforte, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bforte

Bforte TS Member

I was wondering what was the fastest anyone broke their 1st 100 straight
    then a 200 straight. Mine was 100 targets in between. Only took 15 years
    to break the 1st 100. Crazy Game!

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Been shooting practice for a year, and ATA for 6 months. Broke 99 from the 16 yard line on Saturday, but not 100 yet.

3. recurvyarcher

Phil, I switched to a release right after my first ATA shoot in December.

The first few releases that I had actually made a NEGATIVE impact on my shooting, but it was because they were mechanically deficient. Before you go to a release, make the financial commitment to go to a GOOD one.

I shoot a Gold Precision. That one is the very best of the 4 that I have had, and the one that I will say has made a recognizable difference in my shooting. I hear that Bowen's are great triggers, too, but I have never had one, so I would not be able to evaluate one.

The release is more natural (both mentally and physically) to me, as I came from the world of archery.

And my advice to you: Get your advice and opinions from a real trapshooter...LOL!!!

Seriously, I am very new to the game, and I wouldn't want to steer you wrong.

If you wanted advice about women, I could SERIOUSLY mess you up...LOL!!!!

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Recently deceased PA shooter Mahlon Schwar, with 334,800 ATA Singles, never broke 200. I'd say there are many more in that category!!

5. recurvyarcher

Shoot more, and you will get even more comfortable with it. If you like it now, it will only get better. Just make sure you get it serviced periodically, and that it doesn't speed up on you (that was my issue).

Keep me posted. I'm really happy for you. Catch up with me at the Grand if you are going...

6. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

I shot my first 100 straight my first year shooting trap, I did it at a zone shoot and shot it in a 200 bird event. It was also in my first 3 months shooting my first Krieghoff a KX5. I then went through other guns and took me another 2.5 years to shoot another one, that was just last week. I have had lots of 99 and 98 but only a couple of 100's in my first 3 years now of shooting trap and ATA. I am getting my new K80 figured out and hope to be putting some more on the board really soon. I have not gotten to the 200 yet but gotten close with a 199 and 198 before.

Dave

7. Dale Gribble

Dale Gribble TS Member

I had a good friend who shot for years without ever breaking 100. Out of the blue, he broke the first 100 of a 200 bird event and then ran the back half too. Thus, he broke his first 100 and 200 the same day. I'm sure this has happened before but it is the only time I've seen it. Interestingly, after he got that first 100 under his belt he broke several more over the years before he passed away.

8. recurvyarcher

Good luck, Dave...

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

the guy I shoot with broke 100 the first registered shoot he went to. He missed his 198th target at Iowa state shoot last year and still has not got 200, but I think he has 9 100's out of about 4,000 targets.

10. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

three hundred straights first year 1992. never did it again (YET). over due hope its at this year Grand

11. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Been shooting trap about 3 years and a month or so ago ran my first 100 in registered competition...at the ripe old age of 67. A week later, ran my next 100 in another registered shoot. Then 'crashed and burned' in the next one with a 98...oh well, back to the 'real world'. The 'pucker factor' tried to creep in, but focusing on each target one at a time helped. Best Regards, Ed

12. jamsmotorhead

jamsmotorhead Member

Broke my first 100 straight as the first half of my first, and only, 200 straight. It was a great day. I won a state "C" class championship and was moved to "A" class at the next shoot. I also picked up a new nickname for the next year, "Sandbagger". J. Ackerman.

13. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I broke my first 100 straight at my first registered shoot. The closest I've came on 200 is a 198.

hubcap

14. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

In 2004 at the California State Shoot, shooting as a AA, I ran 200 straight for my first 100 and 200 straight. Shot many 99's, but until then never a 100. My daughter at the time was shooting and at age 17 chewed on me to concentrate more. She asked me if... "you can shoot 99's why can't you shoot a 100?" So I worked a little harder. After the first 100 the others were easier... This year I got sloppy and shot a 98 in the first half and a 100 on the backside. Focus! Focus! Focus! Fred

15. Bforte

Bforte TS Member

I started with a release after 2 months. I was very natural from the start.
    I shot a lot of Archery as a kid.

16. Bforte

Bforte TS Member

You are correct. It is natural. By the way Bruce Bowen made my release in 1995.
    I have never had 1 problem. Best Trigger made.

17. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Shooting just over a year and very close but not yet

18. shooterschuster

shooterschuster TS Member

Well I have been shooting for 2 years Reg. and have broke a mess of 99's but yet to break 100. However, I did break 100 straight on the 24yd. in the Friday Handicap at the Buckeye Classic this year. Went to the 26yd. and I am struggling to get back in the 90's. Any suggestions?

19. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

My wife did it in a mater of minutes...she got a little tired of walking around two boxes of birds at the top of the stairs and kicked both boxes down the stairs. She claimed it was an accident and knowing my sweet wife it could have been. 200 plus in seconds...tough to beat. :)
    CA

20. bas

bas Member

How about the gentleman at the CA State Shoot this year...joined ATA for the first time and proceeded to break 200 in the CH Singles plus many more in overtime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.