1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

$100,000 Shoot At Sparta< What a Joke!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mollyone, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

Thats another handfull out of the way

jpark

2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Drew donate 100k and we will split it up as you please.

3. Hauser

Hauser Member

1st it's the Martin's money and they decide how it's given away. There is no "we" making that decision its belongs to the Martins.

2nd if you want to complain complain to your delegate and tell him you don't like the ATA taking advantage of the Martin's requirement that new shells be used in the handicaps and extending that requirement to all events. There is no valid reason for the ATA to require new shells for singles and doubles.

Jerry Hauser

4. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Has the price of shells at the Grand been announced??
    I'd be curious to know if they will be charging full retail, less than retail, or more than retail...........

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

Let the ammo companies bid for the shell contract.

Low bid supplies all the shells - no exceptions.

NO PROFIT for the ATA on Shells. Roll the ATA profit into the target cost.

Shooters can buy as many flats at "Grand Price" as they wish if they shoot a minimum of 4 events.

Provide some incentive to the bums like me who will not win the 100 grand.

Don Verna

6. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

Low Bid... no thank you

7. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Drew, the Grand is a competition, and in fact, a championship. Why shouldn't the WINNERS take home the money?

EE

8. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

The GOLDEN RULE - - "He with the gold makes the rules"

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Was it announced that only new factory shells may be used at the Grand? Must have missed that...is this only for handicap events? or all events? or just another rumor? Accurate info appreciated.... Regards, Ed

10. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

$100,000 Shoot At Sparta<< What a Joke!!!

there is nothing wrong with this picture. What has been wrong with this picture is that no-one knows how to market ATA Grand American. So there is no TV, no Sponsors, and no money. Here is a chance to start some kind of turn-around and find some sponsors/paid TV time. Using that money, the following year they could change the format of the Champion of Champions so ONLY the HAA winners could compete and they would shoot all the disciplines. some could start at doubles, some at hdcp and others at singles. they could mix up the squads so any all americans would be spread out across the squads. But you need a vision and not a short sighted attitude.

11. R_Shrode

R_Shrode TS Member

""I don't want to be or nor am I known to be a complainer""

That's a joke, right? Right?

Does anyone complain ..err, ...whine .. uh, .. think it's the good shooters that are "ruining" this sport more then yourself? Does anyone think it might be the people who have "dumbed down" the sport over the years that might be the problem?

Just my thoughts Rich

12. Alamo

Alamo Member

EE is quite right, this is a CHAMPIONSHIP. The Winner should get the money or should we prefer it to be run to please our more liberal friends in that EVERYONE who attends the Grand gets $5.00 out of the $100,000. That way no one has their feelings hurt! Kind of like the kid's baseball games where no one keeps score so that everyone is equal, there are no winners and more importantly there are no losers.

I respect the top shooters who have dedicated themselves to being the best there is. They earned those averages and championship wins. If one of them wins it, I for one will not begrudge them their win. It should be memorable shoot off. What if though, with a $100,000 on the line, one of us regular guys has the best day of his life. Probably won't happen but, it could happen.

As far as ATA deciding that all events (Singles and doubles) should be shot with factory shells, in this economy and declining attendance, I can only say, "What are they thinking?"

Lastly, I wonder what the Martins are thinking tonight? Wonder if they will ever offer to donate again? If you were them, would you?

Larry Hancock

13. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

You are right OldGoat. Until the literature is published there is absolutely no telling what the rules will be.

It could be a no strings attached donation by a very generous family.

It could end up having so many strings attached, it would take a 10 big notebook to print all the rules.

It could even be an under the table business deal between the ATA, the donors and shell companies.

The fact is we don't know what the rules are yet but here is the thing. The eventual winner could care less what the rules were, and the rest will probably go on bitching.

Mark Rounds

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

And....why wouldn't you shoot new loads on the big Handicaps? Spend all that money to get there, plus entry fees, and be frugal on shells?

15. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

Setterman you make a good point but it's for all the events.

16. crusha

crusha TS Member

I agree. Nice gesture. But most will not be swayed by it.

When the smoke settles, there will be fewer people there - not more.

17. orange crusher

orange crusher Member

HaHaHaHaHaHa!!! Shrode that is the funniest thing, but yet the most truthful thing I have read on here in ages! This is totally amazing that someone graciously donates $100,000 of their own money to the ATA and people who claim to be "shooters" complain because they are expected to WIN to get the money!!! What the hell people, this is not T-ball anymore. Someone will be the winner and guess what - everyone else will walk away with nothing - yes they will lose. Most of the people like Drew who are whining just as well not bother worrying about the $100,000 because aren't willing (or have ever been willing) to put in the actual hard work and focus that is required to win in this sport today.

Go out and watch the "BIG DOGS" shoot a handicap. They are focused and have the mental intensity to concentrate and break every target. They are not super athletes, but they have the desire to win. Watch a bunch of the other guys who never win, yet complain about the "broken handicap system" - they are gawking around, whining about the targets, whining about someone elses call, whining about everything...but always whining and never winning. Guess what folks - winning is not easy - it takes hard work to focus on those 100 targets and break them one at a time.

Shrode you made my night with your hillarious comments, yet truthful statements. Good luck and hope to see you shooting this year!

Just My Thoughts - John

18. Barry

Barry Member

Maybe they should do it Obama style. Shoot the winning score and the shooter to the champions left gets the money!

Barry

19. GatorFan

GatorFan TS Member

Our sport like all others is based on high score/best performance. If you want random money, play the lottery. Or, you could work on your game between now and the Grand and maybe get some of the Martin's money. I will never understand why people want to win without actually winning!
    I cannot believe that anyone has the nerve to complain about a donation like this to the shooters! This family has improved more than a few clubs around the country and are trying to reinvigorate our sport.
    I for one, am looking forward to the Grand, and hope that I peak at the right time.

Jennifer Wilburn

20. over/under

over/under Member

This attitude is just what is wrong with America. Lil Johny tried just as hard. He deserves just as nice of a trophy as the winner. Our society (libs & progressives) breeds mediocracy. Never met them. But a big thank you to the Martins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.