1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

$100,000. dollar challenge,pros & cons?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1oldtimer, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I think the Martin's donation is great. But will it generate interest for the average shooter to go to the Grand? As I understand it,it will pit champions against champions. I think I can make a list of 12 which will include the winner. Is the venue a fair way to choose the contestants? Don't get me wrong,I am not a negative person. I just want to hear some other shooter's views on choosing the contestants. Clyde Doll

2. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

If you put up $100,000, then you too can decide the rules for winning it. If you don't provide the money, I don't see how you can criticize the Martins for deciding how they want their donation distributed.

3. rw993

rw993 Active Member

I imagine if Bill had donated this with the proviso that it was for a category that he shot real well, there would be reason to question any or all. As it is IF YOU CAN SHOOT WELL YOU HAVE A SHOT. No offense to Bill's scores, but I bet anything he doesn't expect to get any of his money back. Why should we worry about who's going to take it home. Enjoy the opportunity..... This is a competition not a lottery.

The list of 12 who you think will be last standing are no doubt guys that have devoted a tremendous amount of time, money, and in many cases themselves to Trapshooting. None of them are guys that shoot a few times a year and shoot these scores without a big investment.

Ron Wilson

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

To date you can count on one finger the number of people who would make such a generous donation, that gives them the right to make any stipulations or restrictions as to how one goes about qualifying to be eligible to win it, PERIOD ... If anyone is not satisfied with their wishes, put up $100,000 of your own and split it up anyway you want, then it will take two fingers to count the number of people who would donate such a generous amount of money ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Pocatello, 1st. of all, I am not critisizing. I said it was great. If you read, I asked only for other shooters opinions. I am not bashing a good thing!Clyde Doll

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Ron Wilson, if you knew Bill M., you'd also know IF he won an event qualifying himself, he'd remove himself and draw another shooter for his spot!! Like his runner-up?? Most down to earth guy you'll ever want to meet too! The entire family for that matter and all of them love the game of trapshooting!!

Hap

7. dezcon

dezcon Member

Trapshooting is the greatest competitive sport. You pay your money, bring your shotgun and shells and compete against ALL competitors. I can not compete in the World Series, or Superbowl or World Cup or any other competitve sport, but in the Grand American World Trapshooting Championship, any one can. It is my opportunity to shoot against the BEST. Yes, there are shooters that are better than others and stand a better chance, but on any given Saturday, the shooters in my class have become very competitive and even won the Grand American. The best name that comes to mind is Nick Colletta (sp?)who won the Grand American about three years ago. He was not a "seasoned" shooter, but ran 100 straight to win. If you don't think that you can win, save your money, YOU WON'T. Being given an opportunity by Mr. & Mrs. Martin is epic and any trapshooter who does not take advantage of that opportunity needs to re-evaluate their competative nature. Shoot for the fun of it? I guess some people do, and that is ok. I shoot to try to push myself and be as competative as I possibly can on any given day. I would not miss the opportunity to try to win the $100,000. Winning would be rewarding, obviously financially, but it would also be "PRICELESS".

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

1oldtimer

"Is the venue a fair way to choose the contestants? Don't get me wrong,I am not a negative person. I just want to hear some other shooter's views on choosing the contestants."

You say you aren't bashing you just asking other shooters opinion. So what make you feel that those you are asking have paid for the right to give an opinion? What point will these opinions serve you still haven't donated the money so as a lot of us see it, its a moot point it has already been decided and all the opinions in the world won't change it. As well they shouldn't.

Bob Lawless

9. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Check you 2010 Grand program. Actually it's been won 9 times by 27 yard shooters and 7 of those wins were 100 straights from the fence.

So 41 times in the last 50 years it's been won by folks other than the 27 yarders.

Nuff' said.

10. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Right, but the other side of it is 27 yarders won it 5 of the last 10 years, and 3 of the last 4.

11. ivanhoe

What I find even more interesting is from 1900-2009 the GAH has only been won from the 27 with a score of 100 7 times. I might also add that out of the 7 time in the entire history of the GAH 4 of them have been shot since the rule was changed to 2 hole, Nuff' said.

Bob Lawless

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Its it fair YES. Will it generate more average shooters in hopes to win the pot? Maybe! I believe it was done to offset the fact that everyone has to use grand bought shells now. That will keep as many shooters away as the 100,000 dollars will bring in. I'm very interested in seeing the turnout numbers this year after all is say and done. I would not be surprised to see numbers at there lowest ever this year. Mostly due to the economy!!! But, Why must I buy my shells at the Grand??? My 2 cents. Break-em all. Jeff

13. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Jeff, the program says (pretty clearly) that you have to shoot factory-rolls for all nine CAPS, but they can be sourced from anywhere - not 'Grand' shells.

Spec reloads are fine for singles and doubles.

Bob

14. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Jeff

I might be wrong but I think you can buy your shells anywhere...they just have to be new shells, no reloads.

Mark

15. ivanhoe

Pull & Mark I believe if memory serves me correctly the reason is because the people that are paying the $100,000 want it that way. If you want to play I guess you have to pay!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Lawless

16. Grousehunterkel

Grousehunterkel TS Member

Some interesting facts to consider about who has a chance to win. In the last 4 years, there have been 37 handicap events at the Grand between prelim week and championship week. The champion of 27 of these events was a 27 yd shooter. The rest-1 at 26.5, 1 at 24.5 and 8 shot 19-20 yds. Of those 27 27yd shooters, 17 were what I call household names-many All Americans. Based on those percentages, you will most likely see at least 5 or 6 27 yarders in the shootout, and 3-4 big dogs. Phil Kiner has won 3 Caps the last 4 years and is the only multiple winner of the 37 events. If Phil or Leo gets in, the rest will have a lot of work to do!! GK

17. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Well the odds are stacked in favor of the 27 yard line if you consider all the major shoots in a year...every year. 27 yard line wins or ties for high handicap score more than all the other yardages put together.

Mark

18. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

As we all grasp at straws when buying a lottery ticket, remember that one shootoff slot will be a random draw. stats are cool but also remember that last year there were 8 handicap events and non-27 yarders either tied or won in five of them. Of course a real 27 yard shooter can beat shorter yardage shooters. Who put the d in duh? But does a regular shooter have a chance?? Of course. And luck can beat skill every time.

19. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

The only con that I can think of is that I won't be there to have a chance to win it.

20. Lyle

Lyle Member

All PRO's.......no cons at all.
    I wish I could attend and give it a try!

Odds on favorites will be the guys or gals who put alot into this game, but it would be fun to see someone who does not have the means to shoot all year long and came to the Grand for this chance and had a dream come true.................................ahhhhhh heck, I guess I'm dreaming!

Good luck to all.

Lyle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.