1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

10 gauge for grins ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Was looking at a Spanish-made 10 gauge Zephyr sidelock with 32-inch full/full barrels yesterday.

Have found some 2-ounce #7½ and #8 shells and some reduced-recoil 1-1/4 ounce #7½ and #8 shells.

Not as a serious trap gun...

Wonder how it would do on the trap line ?

Maybe shoot doubles with it ?

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I had a Zephyr Honker when I was a kid. It was a single barrel 10ga with a vent rib. It looked like a giant BT-99. Wish I had never sold it. It was a duck wacker. Jeff

3. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

I took mine, 32" F & F, to our FFA Turkey Shoot since I had some bullets that the crimps were opening and the buffer was coming out. 3 1/2", 4 1/2 drams, 2 1/4 ounces of 6's. They absolutely destroy the targets.

Rod

4. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

It makes a great Sandhill Crane gun. AJ

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I've got an Ithaca Mag 10 the automatic action takes up quite a bit of the kick, but 100 rounds might do a good man in

6. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I have been to side by side shoots where there were guys shooting 1 1/8 oz. Loads with 10 ga parkers ect. I thought it was pretty cool. If you really want to have fun buy a 10 ga. hammer gun. Bill

7. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

oohhh Coots my half breed Beagle would not even eat one of those and he loved dead washed up carp along the river!!!! Mud ain't even the word for them. I often wondered why there is even a season on them. Nastier than a merganser! Not to hijack the thread but that darned dog got out of the fence once and came home bloody head to tail and his tummy bulging and dragging a deer liver for a late night snack. Seems he got wind of a road kill deer gut pile some half mile down the road and just had to go have some dinner!

8. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

ken1okie_2009_181211.jpg

SuperXJeff..

Here is my 10 ga Honker. This gun came out of Champlin Arms in the seventies.
    It is 98% wiht all original finish, varnish and recoil pad. I have 10 ga Gauge Mates that I use to shoot 12 ga ammo.And have shot a few 3 1/2"- Lead 6's thought it !!! Ouch!!!!!!!! It has the 36" full choke vent rib barrel.

I also have a 40" Marlin 120 Pump that I drag out once in a while to give the guys at the club a little fun. It is a full choke plain barrel.

9. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Interestingly, I have a 60's Stoeger catalogue that show these guns as a three month special order. They are a true sidelock action.

10. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I would be interested in purchasing either the double barrel Zephyr Thunderbird or the Zephyr Honker. Let me know the prices by email.

11. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

More Honker

12. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

I use to shoot this 32" Ithaca NID Grade 2E..alas It found a new home.

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I was tempted years ago to get a Rem SP-10, but it can't be used at my club, so that prety much dictated a 12 ga if I wanted to practice there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.