1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

10 gauge clay target and quail load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Sep 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

FYI

RST has a factory 10 gauge clay target and quail load with 1-1/8 ounce of # 7½ shot.

Also available with #6 shot.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/RST-10ga-2-7_8-1-1_8oz-lead-10_bx/productinfo/RST1018/

2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Funny. At $1.35 per shell... It's 10/box.

3. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

The price might reduce the folks who shoot 200 Singles at a time.

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Jeez, I thought a 20 gauge was plenty for quail.

Wayne

5. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Quail are tougher than they used to be.

6. Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle Member

Hammer 1;
    A couple years ago, I had an L.C. Smith hammer 10 gauge with super-tight damascus barrels: I ordered 100 shells from RST; 50 in 8's, and 50 in 10's.

I shot 2 rounds of skeet with the 8's. Those old barrels were choked 55/1000 apiece; so when I hit one, it just disappeared in smoke!

Yes, it cost Fifty bucks, so call me crazy. But, damn, it was FUN!!

Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

7. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

The price of components for reloading has driven the cost up to nearly the cost of buying new shells if you don't mind shooting the budget shells available through outlets like Walmart and others. I can shoot the new 1 oz. Federals for very close the price I would pay for 1 oz. reloads. Probably within $5.00 to $10.00 per flat.

8. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

I doubt that you will find many 10ga. target shells at wal-mart.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Well I did watch a show with Larry Pottterfield (Midway USA) doing some target shooting with one of his old 10 gauge guns. I think he was shooting black in all brass shells. Looked like fun and yes he was hitting the targets with authority.

10. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Loaded some years ago- 2oz # 7-1/2'S, don't know what for still have them.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Actually they might serve to allow practice with a 10 ga gun.

I was considering a 10 ga, but the fact that none of the local trap clubs allowed them for practice persuaded me to stick with 12 ga for hunting.

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Brian? What on earth are you talking about? You can shoot any gauge you want at any club in Oregon. somebody gave you some bum info.

Granted if you were running up against a shot size restriction and only had factory ammo that might have been a problem. I have shot my 10ga guns as well as my 8ga gun at many clubs in Oregon.

You wanna see something wicked? Try 3 1/2 OZ of copper 5's at 100 YARDS. My pattern looks like a screen door. If that bastard wasn't so heavy I would use it for game shooting but I would need ann extra guy to come with me and hand me the right gun for each situation!

Somehow, I think after a few nights of the 8ga the guys would ban me from shooting games. That thing has a pattern with 5's at 100 yards you could shoot quail with. Those 6th man shots would sure be fun would be like a call bird shot. If I could put the barrel in the right place. Jeff

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have a 10ga Browning Gold, and it doesn't recoil nearly as bad as my 3 1/2" 12 ga. Loaded with #6's it would be a hell-of-a-games gun.

14. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

BLESS YOU MY SON!!! It is great when someone dusts off and old gun and uses it to do what it was intended for! The 10 was the #1 gun on the frontier and served well for EVERYTHING! You don't have to shoot magnum loads and remember that a greatly overbored 12 is very nearly a 10 and your neigh sayers on the 10 praise the big bore 12. Load er' up with 1 1/8oz and about 100 grains of ffg (shot volume and black powder volume in equal amounts) or equavilent subistute and have some fun! Clean with Simple Green. Not a big a mess as a muzzle loader.
    As far a loads, try Rocky Mountain Cartridge, Cody Wy. rmc@vcn.com They have 12, 10 and 8 loading kits and brass. Expensive but not stupid. Get your wads from Circle Fly. (Google it and get the address) Slow to load OMG YES! But lots of fun.
    Shoot that old gal and think what she has seen in past lives!
    Jim Porter

15. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

10 GA works great for quail...dont even have to hit'em...the noise alone kills them. :)

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Jeff, I checked at PGC and was told they do not allow 10ga nor do any of the other clubs in the urban area. They're not trap guns was the reason. In the case of PGC they were concerned with the noise and shot fallout. At the time there were no commercial trap equivalent loads for them, though. The club restricts even 12ga to max sanctioned trap loads, because Annie loads risk falling on neighboring property.

17. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Now that is just stupid. Now we have people who think a 10ga shoots farther then a 12ga. Same guys who think a 410 will kill as far as a 12ga. Just got to hold on them a little tighter! The PGC is not a representative sample of anything anyway Brian. That has got to be the club closest to people in this whole state.

You can shoot a 10ga at any club I know of besides portland. That would be more accurate.

Noise level? As if anybody gives a crap about noise level. Those people (neighbors) want that club closed down and it wouldn't matter if the guys had silencers on the shotguns. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

10 ga target loads

10 gauge lead target reloads
10 gauge skeet load
10 gauge target load

10 gauge target loads

10 gauge trap and skeet loads
10 gauge trap loads
trap loads for 10 gauge