1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

10 ga Pattern

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Larry 64, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry 64

Larry 64 TS Member

I picked up a Browning Gold 10 with a 26" barrel. I was patterning it at 40 yards with Remingtom nitro steel #2's and the browning mod lead/full steel tube. If was a sh*& pattern. Any ideas? After market tube, different loads? I'm using it for goose and long range lake ducks. Thanks

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Throw the gun and shells in the trash and buy something with quality!!

Curt

3. 10gaugeman

10gaugeman Member

Had the same problem with my Gold Hunters. I am now useing a Patternmaster extended range for geese (just don't shoot em too close) and a Lohman decoying extended tube for ducks over decoys. Much improved patterns. I have not found any flush factory tubes that pattern well with steel shot and am using extended tubes on all my waterfowl guns. I have found the Briley extended tubes to work well. Hope this helps.

Mark

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

'Big Steel' can be an issue in ANY gun. The pattern you get is related to the total dynamics, rather than just one factor.

Your gun/choke may like Win DryLok better, or Black Cloud, or Hevi-Steel, or it may be sweet with BBB and not #1.

When I had Steel guns and was shooting Steel, I found a lighter choke almost always worked better for Big Steel, regardless of flavor. An IC choke may solve all your problems?

You're just going to have to play, but when you find the sweet combo ... STOP THERE, and give everything else away so you won't be confused at 4am.

Bob

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

First off there is NOTHING you can do with steel 2's and a 10ga that you can not do with a 12ga. They are only good for 40 yards at most and your 12ga with 2's has enough pattern. The only reason you shoot a 10ga is to get more big pellets on pattern. Big starts at BB and goes up from there. I have owned many 10ga guns from brownongs to remington sp-10's. ithica mag 10's and Richland o/u 10ga mags. If you want a 60 yard duck and goose wacker you shoot T's or TT's through and IM choke. I use brileys IM in my remington SP-10 and I suspect it will work fine in your browning. The only load that patterned worth a shit in my Browning pump 10 was a factory load of Winchester BB's. I don't care much for BB's so I sold the gun.

Like the man above said.... Steel is a law un to itself and each individual gun. I find that small steel and by small i mean steel #2's and smaller that a light full choke still works best. Bigger shit usually means a reduction in choke. If you really plan on shooting steel 2's just sell the gun. There are plenty of steel 2's in a 1 1/8 oz load of steel in a 12ga to kill all the way to #2 steels effective range.

Shooting a cloud of small shot will not put more birds in your bag. One must learn how to shoot and there is no substitute for it. I have seen guys who hunt with us try it all and it doesn't work. In the lead days they though 2 1/4 OZ of copper 4's would be magic. Well..... It6 didn't kill any farther then 1 1/4 of #4 in a 2 3/4 inch 12ga load. When a pellet runs out of energy it makes no difference how many there are in the load. If the pellet won't drive through and hit vitals it is of no use. The only reason small shot works at all is that it will break wings and hit the head and neck where it need not go very deep to do damage.

This is why you see all those flopping cripples in your decoys. Broken wings and hit in the head unless they are very close and by close I mean less then 30 yards.

if you think I am wrong shoot a steel #4 into a fence post ( or a pattern board) at 40 yards.
    They won't even stick. Steel #4 and #6 shot has maimed more ducks then lead shot ever killed by ingestion.

Next time you look at a pile of ducks see how many were body killed VS had there neck wrung because they were hit in the head and neck or a had a broken wing. You will soon learn that the secret to steel shot is shooting much bigger pellets. all those birds hit two and three times that flew off are hit in the body! not the wings or head/neck. The bigger pellets drive through and bring those birds down. Good luck! Jeff

6. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

The best luck I have had with non toxic shot that I can afford is the newer HEVI Metal. Its a combo of hevi shot and steel. It is cheap enough for me. I use 3 1/2 BB out of a 12 ga 1187 supermag. Best pattering I have gotten, your results may very. I don't know if they make 10ga.

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Jeff nailed it ... re-nailed it?

If you want a TRUE magic wand, the 10 can be it ... but ... not steel, not even BBB or T.

If you want to shoot Bismuth in it, it will put any 12ga to shame, plus will be a very mild-shooting gun. 3½" 12ga are a LOAD!!!

1½oz or 1-5/8oz of [buffered] #2 or #BB Bismuth (or Hevi-shot) moving at 1500fps is a for-sure 60-65yd goose-taker ... IF you can stand to HAND-load the stuff and know how to shoot.

Most of my hunting buddies shoot 10ga Steel, and I vacuum their cripples with 12ga 2¾ 1-1/8oz of high-speed Bismuth #2.

Bob

8. Larry 64

Larry 64 TS Member

I was using the #2 because that was what the local hardware had. I haven't got into town yet to get some BB or BBB. Just wanted to see how it shoots. I just thought at 40 it would be a little tighter. I shoot BB and a 3" 12 but the geese around the farms here are getting smarter and a problem. I was going to try Federal Black Cloud with this thing. And I can shoot, trust me. Just never had a 10.

9. War Wagon

War Wagon Member

Larry dont give up on your new goose stick yet. Reload your own 10bore shells. go to BPI and learn how to make a better shell. I have found a Fed hull and there bpdt-10 wad and Steel powder with a payload of 1 3/8 oz "T" is awsom. Lots of geese never made the flight from Saskatchewan last year when they got in front of this load.

10. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Mark (10gaman) and War Wagon, said it. You're prolly going to end up with Briley extended chokes, regardless, AND the very worst home-roll ammo you can make will be superior to ANY factory shell.

f'instance, I surely liked this one (and I like it in an 8ga, too, w/1-5/8oz of Bismuth):

Fed Hull & F209A primer

40gn SR4756

1-3/8oz BBB, T or TT or Duplex ½oz of #B and ¾oz of T

couple of egg-carton disks to fill crimp

1520fps & 10500psi

It is a genuine 60yd sure-killer.

Bob

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I looked at the Browning Gold but just didn't like it. I also looked at the Mag 10 but was told that there were some problems with that gun also. I did buy a nice marsh camo SP 10 that is great. Get rid of the Browning and buy a SP 10. Or go find someone in your club that has one and try it out before looking for one. I'm please with the gun and the recoil is not bad with the SP 10.

12. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

There is no inherent reason why steel BB or #2 does not pattern well in your gun. Those loads (1 3/4 ounce 3 1/2" ten) produce scary patterns in my AYA Lightweight. My gun has about .040 to .045 of choke. Don't listen to the old wive's tale that you don't need much constriction for steel. You need constriction for tight patterns. Put in a tighter choke and pattern again. For those who are wondering, no, those tight chokes are not damaged by the use of steel shot. My AYA chokes are just fine, thank you.

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Jeff is correct. Use "t's" in a Browning Gold 10ga. Great gun. I bought one when thy first came out and I've never had a problem, ever.

14. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Send it to Wilkins. Have him overbore it out to an 8 gage and Lengthen the forcing cone and polish the barrel. Open the chokes in fixed choke barrel or install new longer chokes. while you are at it have the trigger pull adjusted and hand polish the action. You may need to tighten the worn barrel to action fit. And consider adjusting the stock dimensions or bending the stock for cast on or off. Some shooting lessions might help also, but try not to spend too much. (LOL) AJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.