1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

10-22 bolt buffer....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Thread about my suppressed 10-22T

Alternate link for the non-registered lurkers here

Bolt buffers for 10-22s are designed to reduce the metal on metal slamming of the bolt hitting the buffer stop.

For those of us using suppressors, it also makes the gun a bit quieter, by reducing the "bolt clack" noise.

Santa left a bolt buffer in my stocking. Installed and tested it. It does make a noticeable difference in a suppressed 10-22. (It does not make much difference for noise when unsuppressed, because the muzzle report masks it anyway.) Even so, it does not render the 10-22 action silent. This is because the bolt still strikes the hammer, and there is some noise when it closes. The only way to completely eliminate this is with a bolt lock. Unfortunately, no one is making a bolt lock at this time.

For those who don't know what a bolt buffer is for a 10-22, it is a flexible plastic rod that replaces the steel cross pin bolt stop. The link shows a typical 10-22 bolt buffer.

2. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Brian: I put a Recoil Buffer in my Mini 14 and it took alot of the bite out of it. However for that gun the biggest change came when I installed the adjustable gas block. It took that gun from being a shotgun to a 1.5 MOA rifle, with Wolf ammo!

I got it from Accuracy Systems direct. I only got the gas piston ($35) that has the adjustment screw, and had to drill my gas block for clearance for the screw. Closed it all the way and then opened it one turn. Only adjustment I had to make, got it right the first time! LOL

Using Wolf .223 ammo which used to fly 40 feet! it toned it down to pooping the spent cases out 3 feet to the right the gun, and accuracy improved dramatically since the action is not being repositioned in the stock on every shot due to the uncontrolled recoil of the action cycling and the op rod hitting the front of the receiver. Now it cycles much more smoothly and the Buffer doesn't allow the metal to metal contact.

I really don't see why Ruger doesn't offer this as an upgrade to their guns as the Mini 14's have an abismal reputation for poor accuracy, which would not be deserved if not for the exuberant gas system. Plus it's such an easy fix which would cost them about $2 to incorporate into the production.

Night and day difference. I just wish I could put a muffler on it like your .22. It would be a much cooler "CAN" gun then.

Randy
    wrbuchanan_2009_19122.jpg

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    cool. I'd like to see closeups of your adjustable gas block.

4. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

There once was a bolt blocksystem for the 10/22 asan accuracy assist don't remember who made it

5. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

It looks like the normal piston (the round part in the gas block) with a 6-48 hole drilled and tapped in the end opposite the discharge. You can't just drill and tap yours as the thing is harder than the hubs of hell. I tried to drill mine and immediately burned the tip off a new center drill.

For $35 Accuracy Systems will send you one with the screw and a keeper spring already installed that has been heat treated after the machining was done. Then you take your existing gas block off the gun and drill about a .144 hole thru in the center of the hole the piston goes into. you would need to hold it in a mill vise to do this, and then accurately find the center of the hole before you drill.

I also milled my front swivel boss so it would take a normal QD sling swivel at the same time.

You reassemble with the adjustment screw and spring fed in from the outside with the gas piston and and existing orifice in place just like originally assembled. That's it.

This pic is the best I can do without taking the gun apart. You know what the fixed gas piston looks like, imagine one with a hole drilled and tapped in the butt end.

Not much to this conversion, but it makes all the difference in the world on how this gun shoots.

Randy
    wrbuchanan_2009_19123.jpg

6. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

A lot of 10/22 mods are discussed here...

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.