1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

$10,000 Gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by C Prince, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C Prince

C Prince TS Member

What make a $10,000 gun worth $10,000.

Chad

2. C Prince

C Prince TS Member

What makes a $10,000 gun worth $10,000.

Chad

3. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

There is no reason to buy a 10,000 dollar gun.None are worth it.It is the indian not the arrow.Why buy a 100,000 dollar car?Cause some people have the money.No other reason.

4. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I think the question would more correctly be "What makes a $10,000 gunCOST $10,000?" because, frankly, there isn't a shotgun made that's worth $10,000 to me.

Mike

5. C Prince

C Prince TS Member

OK, I agree with you Mac. That is what I was tryong to say.

Chad

6. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

MX-8B,

"feel better when it's yours"..... the gun or the lovely babe on the receiver??

Guy

7. spritc

spritc Active Member

You might know why someone would buy a $10,000 shotgun when you're older and can afford one. Until then enjoy what you can afford and learn to shoot it well.

Steve

8. mastergunner

mastergunner TS Member

Preceived value. What makes a car worth what a car is worth?

9. Singleshot

Singleshot Member

Gee, what makes a Mercedes or Cadillac cost more than a Kia? A two-carat, D flawless diamond cost more than a zircon? A Rolex cost more than a Timex? Snap-On more than WalMart wrenches?

Well made, really nice things - houses, cars, guns, watches, clothes, tools, etc. - always have and always will cost more than the commodity varieties of the same goods.

And there will always be some people who can afford the best, and some who can't. Those that can, might buy the best. Those that can't, won't.

The only problem is when those that can afford the best denigrate the quality of commodity items, and when those that buy commodity-quality bad-mouth the better made equipment.

Buy what you want and can afford, as long as it works for you, don't bad-mouth the other guy's equipment, and don't pay any attention when someone bad-mouths yours.

10. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Affording one has nothing to do with owning one as most that buy them finance them.I could write a check today for one but it will do nothing to help my scores.In fact the opposite is probably true as the scores will likely go down.There is no reason to own one unless you are trying to impress someone.The guys that make a living shooting(very few) only shoot one if it is given to them.Simply a waste of good money in my opinion.What will it do that a 4000.00 gun won't?

11. Trucido

Trucido TS Member

I think the question being asked here is why the gun is PRICED at $10,000, not why people will pay $10,000. I do not know and wonder myself.

When someone (who knows less about cars than I do) asks me why a Lamborghini Gallardo costs $200,000, while a Corvette Z06 only costs $60,000, when both cars have similar (not the same obviously) performance, I have a explain: the Lamborghini is partially handbuilt (I don't remember exactly how much is handbuilt, but I think most all of the engine), it uses more exotic materials, it does have better performance, better technology and design, and more than anything else, it is EXCLUSIVE...there are far fewer Gallardo's on the road as compared to Z06's.
    Ask me which car I would rather have...I'll say a Z06 every time, until I am making a half-million a year...in which case the Lambo seems a little more reasonably priced...

Same thing here...obviously most people cannot reasonably afford a $10k shotgun, but I am sure that there is reason to have one as compared to a $3k browning, and at some level of income/shooting involvement, a $10k shotgun can be a reasonable purchase.

So...the question is, why are $10,000 priced at $10,000? How do the companies (K- & P-guns I believe) justify this price?

Thanks -- Kyle

12. sasquach

sasquach Member

13. spritc

spritc Active Member

There isn't one guy I know who owns a high grade gun that financed it. I certainly wouldn't own a gun I had to finance, even a $500 gun. If you can't afford it don't buy it at any cost. If you think high grade guns are too costly that certainly is your opinion but cost is a relative thing. I've been fortunate to own many high grade guns and I don't care what anybody says, you can tell the difference the minute you pick one up. Again, shoot what you can afford and shoot it well, nobody cares what you shoot but you.

Steve

14. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I would rather have several moderately priced guns (4K)than one expensive gun, unless it would be a Cole or Lujitc. IMHO RG

15. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I guess if you own one you will defend the purchase which is understandable but please explain how a 10,000 dollar gun is better made than a 4000.00?In cars and homes the luxuries and size get larger but in a gun the parts are the same.The barrels are the same the blocks are made from the same metal the wood can be a better figure and you can add some engraving but the quality does not get better.Can anyone on here tell me there is a better barrel and action made than the ASE 90 or gold gun a few years ago?The Perazzi mx series is the same from top to bottom and a krieghoff is no better today than when it was made 20 years ago.Is a 10,000.00 Kolar made with better components than a 4000.00 ase?I am not questioning the purchse of the high dollar guns as much as what do you get for the extra money?

16. 1oz

1oz Member

Bragin Rights

17. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

BAD303 -

A couple of things you say are not correct . . .

"it will do nothing to help my scores". Many who buy "high-end" guns get custom-fitted stocks to go with them. I believe those will help your scores, as many are shooting guns that don't fit them as well as a custom-fitted stock will. You can use adjustable butt pads and the other adjustable devices out there, but in my opinion a custom-made stock is worth whatever you pay for it.

You should take a trip to Kolar and get a tour of their plant and see the work that goes into building their "high-end" guns. I can guarantee you that what goes on there is not the same as what goes on at the Browning factory. If you think both places build guns with the same materials and the same attention to detail, you are wrong.

I didn't buy mine to impress anyone, I bought it because I wanted it. As someone mentioned, some people reach a point in their life where they are able to afford things that others would consider wasteful or extravagant.

How about giving us a rundown of everything you spend your money on, and we'll let you know if you are wasting any of your money?

Scott Calhoun

18. Trucido

Trucido TS Member

Maybe the question is still not making sense to people here...I'll elaborate once again, hopefully with better examples:

Knife:
    I bought a Hinderer XM-18 a few months ago. It is a 3.5" pocket knife that I paid $475 for. My friend asked (incredulously) why it costs that much, as compared to my Benchmade 943. I explained that the XM-18 is handmade by a mastersmith, has better steel (20CV, which is expensive), the training to heat-treat that stuff is expensive/extensive, it is more exclusive, has a much better design and the tolerances are INSANE as compared to the benchmade. The time involved to design this knife and then make it is very extensive and Rick Hinderer ends up working for something like $20/hour, and more importantly, the equipment (VERY expensive CNC machines) is very expensive and needs to be paid off by the sale of the knives. The reason it was worth the price difference ($100 vs $475) to me was because the performance is MUCH better than the benchmade (smoothness of opening, lockup, design, blade sharpness & edge retention, overall quality).

Camera:
    I bought a Canon 1D mk2 to replace my 20D. My friend asked (again incredulously) why it costs as much as it did ($2500, used...$3500 new at the time, as compared to my 20D ($800 used, $1200 new at the time). I explained that the CMOS sensor is bigger (which means lower yields/higher cost), body is better made (gasket seals everywhere), the processor is more expensive, there is more memory, shutter is better designed (more expensive components, lasts longer), production numbers are lower. It was worth (to me) what I paid for it, because it has the performance that I wanted/needed (8.5fps, larger sensor, weather sealing, vertical grip).

Shotgun:
    I just bought (waiting on it to arrive) a SKB 85TSS Trap (on this forum actually). My friend asked (exasperated at this point) why it costs $1550, which is what I paid for it used, as compared to my Remington SPR310, which I paid $500 for new. I explained that the tolerances are much tighter in a couple of ways: the wood is better fit to the stock, the barrels have better chokes, the barrel alignment of the two barrels is much better, the lockup/seal is better and the gun just fits better overall. Also, the wood is nicer and finished better and it is simply a nicer gun. It was worth it to me because the performance difference should be significant, end of story.

Now, we (those of us who do not own a $10,000 gun), why those guns are sold for that much money? Is it just exclusiveness? Materials? Custom fit? Production numbers? Tolerances?

We realize that some people do not think those guns are worth it...and the reason that it is not worth it to them is that in a cost-benefit analysis, when you do not shoot a lot or do not have the necc money, the gun will NOT be worth the difference in performance, quality and exclusiveness. What we want to know is what exactly makes the gun cost so much: performance, quality, exclusiveness or something else?

Thanks again...and I apologize for the long posts (and if this has already been answered in the time it took me to write this post).

-Kyle

19. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

The Spolar reloader is a lot better made than other loaders and surely you can see that.The guns are not better made as price increases.

20. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Scott

Where did i mention Browning or any other mass produced gun?I am asking you to tell me what makes the 10,000 dollar gun better made than the 4,000 dollar gun?Not one person has addressed the question.You talk about custom made stocks and a tour of the factory and that does not make the Kolar better made than the K-32 or ASE guns.Now if the tour and a custom stock are worth 6,000 to you just say that.But the question is still not answered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

10000 dollar shotgun

10000 dollar trap shooting gun

100000 dollar shotgun
60000 dollar shotgun
content
revolvers for 10000
trap guns over 10000