1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

$10,000.00 For 100 Straight In Caps!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KenC, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenC

KenC Member

Come to our 50th Annual Labor Day Shoot at Delta, Colo., & shoot for some real money!

See our program here on ts.com for the details.

Ken Church
    Delta Trap Club
    Delta, Colo

2. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

would it be possible for you to post a link to the program? i can't find it. thx.

3. KenC

KenC Member

Here's the link: http://www.trapshooters.com/shootscores/

Then click on SHOOT PROGRAM

4. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

maybe that will work better?

5. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

Got it. ...

I have a question on the "olympic shooters exclusion".

Is that directed at Ray Stafford and maybe USAMU athletes like Mike & Shane Hermann, or would any member of USA Shooting who has shot a sanctioned Olympic Trap match be excluded?

I've shot sanctioned bunker trap matches in Colo Springs, as recently as last week, but I'm not exactly an "Olympic Shooter".... :)

Am I excluded?

Can you explain a little?

Thx.

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

What it means is that they have most certainly contracted with an insurance company to purchase an insurance policy to indemnify the outcome. There are a variety of requirements including, but not limited to the exclusion of "professional" shooters and requiring documented handicap yardage, etc...

The likelihood of a true amateur breaking 100 straight at their handicap can be quantified to a high degree, hence the ability to charge a fair premium for an event.

Regards all,

Jay

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Jay, I think you are absolutely right. How the underwriter has written the policy matters.

The Spring Grand in Tuscon had similar 'non-Olympian' language in the program, but I never could get a definition of the exclusions and conditions.

In another life, I did some insurance adjusting, and I kinda suspect the exclusions will be for <i>supported</i> athletes (USA Team + Residents + development team + USAMU, etc.) and I would imagine the 'semi-pro' would sift endorsed/supported folks: Kay, Leo, Harlan, Tank, Schaeffer, but probably not Bob Schultz, the Allem boys and maybe PhilK ...

Insurance law being what it is, it will HAVE to be mighty clear, as ANY ambiguity is 100% resolved in favor of the claimant.

I doubt Delta is involved in coverage in any fashion, however they ought to have a copy of the exclusions available to all who ask.

Bob

8. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Not to worry any ATA member is not a semi or pro.

Or it could mean anyone that ever won a calcutta.

Sort of like the 300 game in bowling. I had one in my life during a league tournament. Was all set I thought for the $2,000.00 prize. But wait the lane was not right too much wax sorry we bad.

Semi Pro like Jumbo Shrimp.

Rock

Jim

9. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

the way I read this shiznitt, I am excluded from the prize. I'm not being a heckler, I actually am going to shoot in Delta on Labor Day.... Not that I am going to shoot 100 straight, but if it's bugging me while shooting I am likely to shoot a 68... :(

10. williamkelly

williamkelly Member

what ins co handles this profile for 10,000 any body know

11. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

I'd be surprised if it wasn't self-funded, self insured.... particularly with these odd disclaimers that eliminate several of the Colo. State Team Captains, if not many others.....

Come on, it's only 10K.

Not that it isn't a nice prize, but it's not like they are betting the deed to the ranch on a poker hand. I don't know about your State but out here it is not uncommon to have Calcutta's reach the $15k level, yes, that is cash funded, but still.... not many 100 straights get fired to win. I don't think it's happened at Delta ....

12. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

<i>what ins co handles this profile for 10,000 any body know </i>

They hired an event broker/promoter, it looked like, but almost every insurer has this kind of coverage. I've seen it from the St. Paul and from AIG, for two.

Bob

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

hmmmm... semi-professional shooters.... I can already smell the stink bait rising on that one....

14. motowheelguy

motowheelguy TS Member

Define "Semi-Pro". And I would bet 2 say not many Olympic Team members have shot a 100 in caps that I know....I think you could count them on one hand.

Aaron "never been paid to shoot" Holguin

15. KenC

KenC Member

Yes, we took out an insurance policy.

No, none of us on the BoD here at Delta are going to act as spokesmen for the insurance company. Their rules are their rules, not ours.

Yes, 100 straights are usually the winning score at the state handicap championship (also hosted by Delta Trap Club).

Yes, I've seen several 100 straights in the preliminary 'caps events at our past Labor Day Shoots but I can't remember a 100 straight in last hundred of Monday's 200 bird handicap championship but I'm sure it's been done. Something tells me Mike Stears may have been the last to do it; I'm not sure.

All this speculation about who's a pro or Olympian...first you gotta break the 100 straight. Then it's between you & the insurance company.

So, give yourself a shot & come on out. You can't win if you don't shoot it.

16. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

I had planned to come Labor day

Then I saw the 10k and thought that it would be a nice bonus if I or someone/anyone got hot- believe it or not I like seeing "guys" rewarded for exceptional performance

Then I saw the exclusion clause and am not coming-don't like the bait/switch

Has nothing to do with me winning it is the principle and it IS NOT the Gunclubs fault-- they try to do a good thing and the insurance company plays chicken $hit

17. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

"first you gotta break the 100 straight. Then it's between you & the insurance company."

> KEN - that is just about the WORST sentence you could have possibly written to promote this handicap event........

Terrible.... I agree with Phil, this offer sounds like a sucker-punch right in the face. BAD DEAL!

18. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

I agree with Sportshot.

This is supposed to be a promotion that increases attendance to the shoot. I certainly wouldn't attend for this unless I knew whether or not I qualified. The definitions should be more clearly laid out in the program.

Typically the way these things work is that it's a contract between the sponsor of the event and the insurance company. Failing to meet the terms of the contract doesn't relieve the obligation of the sponsor to pay the prize, it just takes the INS Co out of the equation. Obviously, the Delta Trap Club wants to ensure that they don't get caught having to pay this so they are passing along the terms of their policy to the participants. Which is fine.

However, the definition of "semi professional" really needs to be clarified before this shoot begins.

Good luck.

19. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I don't think Delta is trying to bait/switch, nor had any kind of idea this reaction was going to happen.

However, it is instructive, and COULD be very 'educational' to Delta, too, and not in a fun way.

Ken, it would be a REAL GOOD REAL good idea for you to post the T&C of the policy (and be prepared to answer questions).

"Semi-Pro" (or even "Pro") is a pretty ambiguous term, and I'm 117% positive it is WELL-defined in the policy.

If Delta refuses to pay somebody who has won $1000 in a calcutta somewhere, you'll have a lawsuit on your hands, and even thought the insurance co., will defend you: it is STILL a major P.I.T.A., very time-consuming, AND Delta's reputation WILL be dragged through the muck.

I appreciate what y'all are trying to do - everybody here does too. Don't let the ins co. make you their huckleberry.

Bob

20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I agree with PK

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.