1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

$10.00 / 100 & WE PICK UP HULLS!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by whiz white, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Now that's a refreshing consideration, running a shoot to cater to shooters.

One thing I have wondered that no one has brought up: If a shooter were to trip and fall on hulls, what then? No answer needed, as he/she probably should not have a gun in the first place.

I've been shooting for 30 years and we tend to forget who pays the bills. My next fear is that I'll be required to shoot in a suit and tie.

2. IBustem

IBustem TS Member

Am I jealous or what!? I just shot 100 after work today and it was $18 and that's with a punch card! One club I shoot at is a lot closer to your price but they are only open 3 days a week and are farther away. With prices going up all over I hope they can hold the line. I wish I could come by and shoot a few hundred of your targets but the plane fare from Seattle might just eat up all the savings. :)

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Trip and fall on hulls? Cripes, some of you just don't give on on this crybaby crap. I guess we must have a smarter, more coordinated group of shooters at my club. They don't trip on the hulls.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Let's see, average target cost is about .06 each. Therefore, gross profit per shooter is around $4.00 per 100 or $20.00 per squad. Now I don't know how many squads you anticipate getting but if you run 20 per day over a two trap layout I'd say you did very well. That would yield a total gross profit of $400.00.

I hope you don't break a trap spring or pay any help as that would make a significant effect on your net profit.

Remember! volunteers have a short life expectancy.

5. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Wish some club here in Eastern Oregon would do like wise. I can't hardly believe $10 for 100 registered targets. Our "Big 50" program is 16 dollars a hundred, with no prizes etc.. I and another fellow run the program (labor), but don't set prices or policy, just grunts.

Hey BFO they don't trip over hulls here either, because I pick them up and use them. Richard

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Hey, Brian: IT was SATIRE... read my threads.

Whiz

7. smartass

smartass TS Member

Earth to Brian, Helloooooooooo !!!!!

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Whiz, I didn't even look at your name on the post - just read the contents. Yep, satire. Sorry.

9. oleolliedawg

1100nut, I know of no shooters who don't enjoy a virtual target giveaway. Unfortunately when it's time to build that really nice clubhouse the money to buy it probably won't be there!!

10. Doctor_Chicago

Doctor_Chicago Member

Our Club In Northwest Indiana does it for $14.00 per hundred with paid trap help

11. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

"We once had a club in Western Washington (Paine Field Gun Club)" sounds like the opening line in the song "Camelot". Carl Aos, Harbor Master and one-time P.I.T.A. President didn't screw around when he ran the Paine Field Gun Club. Every Weekend he had six traps running. The next squad was on line before the last squad finished. On Saturday you got a free round if you broke 25 singles - two free rounds with 25 handi's. Some people shot almost free under this program, including current All American Veteran, Marvin Sims. Practice was $1 a round and we shot Caldwell targets. Carl saved the target cartons and Bob Caldwell gave the club a credit when they were returned. The year before the club closed Carl reported we had thrown over 2,300,000 targets.

Paine Field is the site of the Boeing plant where the 747,777 and soon the 787 will be built. The ground rent for the club was minimal and Carl probably had the power hot-wired from a cheap source. Boeing and progress forced the club to close and Carl's successors spent the club's treasury on lawyers trying to get reparations. Today it's all a memory - kind of like Camelot.

The moral to the story is that, even today, a frugal management could make a club successful and it usually comes down to one person willing to take the guff and get-er-done.

12. freddy01

freddy01 Member

Hey Russell,

I saw Tim at Bethesda last Saturday, he was telling me all about your shoots. I really want to make it down this summer. I told Tim to keep me posted.

See ya soon, Fred Dague

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Russell; No matter what you do someone will want to rain on your parade. Don't let them, just keep the umbrella handy.

oleollie: Get off their case. It sounds like they enjoy doing what they are doing and you sound like a cranky ole pain in the a__.

Don

14. oleolliedawg

Yo BIG DON, Cranky and old-your damn right-but also guilty of running a successful Trap club for over thirty years.

We still have a few clubs here in PA that are stuck in the 50's and can't seem to understand the word PROFIT. If their idea of success is running a Speakeasy and giving away targets why should I argue. Of course, replacing those old traphouses, getting rid of the Winchester handsets and providing voice releases and clubhouse improvements never seems to be on their agenda.

And 1100nut, please report back to us in 5 years and review the success of your current business plan. I'll bet that at least 75% of your go-getter help will no longer be seen and some serious change to your price structure will occur.

And then again-maybe I'll learn something!!

15. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Good for you.Keep prices where an average dad can take his kids to shoot or introduce a a friend to the sport without having to choose between shooting or groceries.A big plush clubhouse is nice but certainly not needed.You keep throwing good targets at a fair price especially in that area of the country and the volume of targets you throw will pay the bills.When you get enough members other amenities will come through other avenues than just selling targets.We also have a small 1 trap club and throw cheap targets and slowly but surely the income is coming in.Almost everybody that shoots at our trap helps out happily because they love shooting.That is the way a club differs from a business.I am all for making profits in business,the club should be as affordable as possible and still be able to improve facilities slowly.Good luck to you and your club.

Darr Wilson

16. jjlucky

jjlucky TS Member

Wait till next year and that $10.00 will buy you 25 practice targets at Sarasota. They will provide a bucket to put your hulls in.
    Jack

17. k newman

k newman TS Member

I was in Fairmont Saturday -- it's all true and more. $10 a round, great people and a great club. Heck, even the pop machine was selling 20 oz bottles for a buck.

I usually just watch my boy shoot. I left a member of the ATA with 200 registered targets under my belt. The boy picked up 500. Somebody there will shoot with you as long as you can take it. I even got told -- "let us know in advance you're coming, and we'll make sure we have a thousand rounds on hand to shoot with you as long as you want"

worth it??? I drove 2 hours to get there, and I have my calendar marked for next month - I'm going back. I passed a lot of clubs on the way.

To top it all off, there are some great shooters down there.

18. k newman

k newman TS Member

almost forgot - I didn't have a shell bag, just starting -- no problem with the hulls on the ground!!!!!!!

19. k newman

k newman TS Member

Is my calendar right - Are the guys in Fairmont picking up hulls for free again on Saturday?

20. Dick from Pa

Dick from Pa TS Member

This is good. If the club can throw targets at that cost super. I shoot at a club
    that charges $2/round for practice. They have two new GMV traps and 800 members
    who pay dues. Thier bank account is full. Maybe this club in WVa is in that condition. Good management.
    As for Oleolliedawg running a successful club. Well everyone is entitled to
    thier opinion. Who sets your targets oleo? LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.