1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 VS 1 1/8 wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by toad67, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toad67

toad67 Member

Finishing up the last of my claybuster 1oz winchester replacement wads. My local component carrier has switched from claybuster to downrange wads. Can a person use the same 1 oz downrange wad with both a 1 and a 1 1/8 oz load? He says you can and it would make wad storage easier. Thanks in advance.

Todd Klein

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Call Kevin at Down Range for a squared away answer for your needs: Down Range Wads, Kevin Lewis, Nebraska, 402.463.3415.......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

3. Craig12

Craig12 TS Member

There is a PDF on their website that tells this. I think the DRXL1 replaces the pink win.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've used, and liked, the DRXL-1, neon green wad for 1 oz loads. I see on their web page there is a DRXL-1, blue wad for 1 1/8 oz loads. They are NOT the same wad used for either load......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Todd, if you use any powder which, for the 1 1/18 oz. loads you plan for, needs anything bigger than about a MEC #28 or equivalent, you are probably going to have trouble with any 1-oz. wad. Sure, with enough wad pressure, you can keep the them closed for a while, but you are setting yourself up for opening a flat of reloads in July and finding shot everywhere except in the shells.

The reason there are two kind is that they are needed to get the "stack" right to secure an attractive and effective crimp.

As far as storage goes, the volume taken up by a bag of 1 1/8 oz. loads, should be less that that required for the same number for 1 oz. loads, so having them makes storage easier, doesn't it?

Neil

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Try the Downrange DRRT-12, which is a replacement for the Remington TGT-12s wad.

Use Hodgdon Clays for your 1 ounce loads, and Hodgdon Titegroup for your 1-1/8 ounce loads.

Clays is a very bulky powder, whereas Titegroup is a very dense powder.

By doing this, you could potentially use the same wad for both 1 ounce and 1-1/8 ounce loads.

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

timb99,

I can use those DRRT-12's for 7/8, 1, and 1 1/8 oz loads just by using the powders you mentioned. It's nice to only have to stock a couple of differnt wads for my 12ga loads.

ss

8. Neil Winston

Tim and ss, that's about as good a reason for choosing one powder over another as I've heard.

Neil

9. fishguts

fishguts Member

Get another supplier and stay with the Claybusters...

Wayne

10. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

Neil, I've found that I need about 20% more storage space to keep shot for 1oz loads. Just get too damn many more out of a 25# bag!!!

11. Neil Winston

That's a consideration I hadn't thought through, nsguy, and you are of course correct. On the other hand, since wads float their SG must be less than 1 and with lead at 11.34, volume-of-storage calculations must still favor 1 1/8 ounce, since the "cushioning" section of the wad difference is likely to more than even things out.

I'll do the calculations if you wish. Thank you for the (possible) correction.

Neil

12. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

Don't waste your time on the calculations. I have it all figured out! Just have a designated reloading room of a specific area, and it will fill automaticaly with everything needed! And a lot of stuff you don't need! Then you face the problem of not enough space! Solution, make more space! Problem, filled up that space real fast. Now need MORE space! Solution, buy some used lumber and a backhoe! Make it big enough THIS time and hire out your services to others! I'd love to tear into someones house with a backhoe all in the name of helping them out!!!

13. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

I guess the short answer would be yes if you are using Tightgroup powder, did it for years.

14. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

toad67,

Would you put 87 octane gas in a car that requires 93 octane?

15. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Wayne, ever try Downrange wads? Harv.

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

longshooter

WTF?

Maybe Remington is confused.

They use the TGT-12s wad in both 1 ounce and 1-1/8 ounce factory loads.

You should call them about it.

17. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

timb99,

No need to curse.

The point I am trying to make is; how much shot is residing outside of the shot cup?

And secondarily, what is more important, effect on target, or effect on home storage space?

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Answer; not much, if any.

I figure if Remington is OK using a TGT-12s in their 1-1/8 ounce Nitro 27 factory shells, I'm OK using the Downrange clone of it in my 1-1/8 ounce reloads.

Nitro 27's are pretty effective on target, wouldn't you agree? Some guy named Harlan Campbell uses them.

19. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I have been using 1 1/8 wads (Downrange XL Blue or claybuster WAA12 clone white) for both 1 oz. loads as well as 1 1/8 using remington hulls and Clays powder. The 1 oz. seem to load and work just fine...no dished in crimps. Wonder if others have done the same. Regards, Ed

20. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

Oldgoat, I tried to load 1 oz load in a gun club hulls using claybuster WAA12 clone white but I had to raise the wad guide all the way up so as not to have the crimp pushed down. Did you have to do same thing ? Peter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.