1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1% tip on a $133.00 Meal With A Note.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Just saw on the news that a waitress who did her job got a $1.33 tip from a 133.00 meal. There was a note added to the receipt that said "GET A REAL JOB". This went on the internet but because of people going off on the person who gave the tip and note it was removed.

The person who left the tip and note was a wealthy banker in the area. He is also known to the restaurant. The person who posted the info on the internet was someone who was dinning with the wealthy banker. He took a pic of the receipt and then posted it. He made it clear that he didn't approve of the persons actions.

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I hope the picture taker at least had the decency to leave her a proper tip...I think the butthead who did it wont be eating there any more cuz I'm sure somebody will spitting in his chow or worse every time he shows up

3. over/under

over/under Member

Probably a Senator, Congressman or maybe POTUS.

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

People who work for tip's are paid well less then Min Wage. Tips are suppose to make that up.

By the person who took the pic did it because he felt it was wrong of the banker who was paying the tab. So I feel she did her job.

I worked for tips for years when I was younger. There are people who I saw bring in people and have a $300.00 + tab and not leave one penny. He felt he didn't have to.

I tip 20% on meals or more on delivery of meals. I get good service once they know I tip.

5. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I agree with Rick Barker's tip percentages. I tip for any excellent out-of-the-way service. This inc people like the auto mechanic,trade people,etc. Maybe it is only small,like money for a dozen donuts for the shop,to 50%-60% of the bill for a ridiculously low auto repair bill at at a private shop. What I have found,when I return,these people go out of their way to take care of you.

6. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I took my boyfriend out for his birthday for a fancy high price dinner. The waitress took our wine order and our hor dourve order. The hor dourve arrived, without the wine. I told her I would like to have our wine at the table, opened and then the hor dourve. She told me someone was going to open the wine.....The hor dourve arrived again and then the waitress....with the wine, unopened. She attempted to open the wine. She told us she doesn't know how to open the wine and would get someone to do it. After 30 minutes we sent the hor dourve back...no one opened the wine. Finally someone opened the wine. The hor dourve came. We ordered. My BF'ds meal came as was ordered...my order was wrong. I told waitress ...she reordered and never took BF's meal away. 1/2 later my meal came.....BF's meal was not touched and they did NOT replace his meal, just left the cold meal there. I asked the waitress WHAT do we do about his meal? She said "Well, he got his, why didn't he eat it? When I told her to just pack them for take-out, she piled one plate on top of the other and proceded to leave he table. When I asked her what she was doing, she replied "packing them for take-out!) I went outside for a gulp of fresh air (actually going out for a smoke) I bumped into a person (unbeknownst to me) THE OWNER! She asked me how my dinner was....Oh My! Did I have alot to tell her! Turns out the little "cutsie" waitress was a friends daughter, that couldn't get a job anywhere else. When I told her what happened, AFTER I paid the $150 tab....did she offer a refund or offer for another dinner....NO. I will never go back there again and have told opthers what happened.

7. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Oh by the way....Where there was the line for a tip.................I told here the best tip of the day was: To get another job or an education. I didn't leave her a penny!

8. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Having had a daughter who worked as a waitress to pay her way through college, I get really pissed at some people who blame the waitress for bad service IF THEY DO NOT KNOW WHERE THE PROBLEM CAME FROM! Not all meals arrive late, wrong or cold because of the waitress. The cooks screw up, are lazy or incompetent also but since they don't get the tip, nobody cares or complains about their incompetence.

When you get bad meal service like that, CALL THE MANAGER OVER OR REQUEST HIS/HER TO COME TO THE TABLE. Let the manager determine where the problem was. If it was indeed the waiter/waitress's fault then by all means tip accordingly BUT if the waitress was NOT at fault, do not take you anger out on him/her. They can not manufacture the food out of thin air. They are often the victim of a "don't give a s***" kitchen staff. Most waiters and waitresses do try to do the best job possible but if THEY complain about the kitchen staff, what do you think happens to that waiter/waitress's orders? Now if the MANAGER questions the kitchen staff because of a CUSTOMER complaint, well the response is considerably different!

9. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

A server makes about $2.35 per hour, the majority of their income is derived from the tips they receive. If there is a problem with he server, ask for a manager as pyrdek has stated. My wife and I both agree, if we felt we got GREAT service, we do not mind tipping higher than usual. We took friends to a nice restaurant that they had never been to, the server was a very nice young man named Wayne, he did a tremndous job and the food was fantastic. But his attitude went a long way and made us all feel like family. The bill came to just under $220 and I left him an $80 tip. I even talked to the manager to tell her what a good job he did and she thanked me for saying something to her. She said very few customers that have a really good experience take the time to let her know, but if there is a bad experience she hears all about it (as she should)

I have a neice that works as a hostess at a very fancy restaurant and I hear all kinds of stories about poor tippers when the server busts their butt for them. But, tipping is a gratutity, not a mandate.

Oscar

10. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

Great story, but alas, a hoax.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/photoshop/restaurant-receipt-photoshop-hoax-869032

11. TigerMyrtle

TigerMyrtle Member

Does anyone know for certain the origin of the "TIP" when one is purchasing a service? I was told the origin of "tipping" was to provide "xtra" money in ADVANCE of service "To Insure Promptness". Before being seated and before receiving a service money is paid money in advance to guarantee the best most punctual service possible. How did our society ever get to the place where the provider of the service dictates a percentage of the ticket as an afterthought. Is there a reason why a percentage is used as opposed to a fixed amount? Seems to me the effort necessary to provide good service would not be 5X more for getting a steak at Outback as it would be to bring a steak from Morton's kitchen to me table?? My water will need to be filled the same amount of times. My coffee will need to be topped off just as many times. Just because the steak costs more does that mean the service I am paying for should be more? After all I'm paying for 'service' and not for the item itself. Just my $.02.
    Eric
    PS - I always tip 15%-20% depending on the experience. Not always sure I should however.

12. knobcreek

knobcreek Member

Are we sure the tipper wasn't Moochelle Obama?

13. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Heck, if it was fat ass, the bill would have been $433.00 Nothing like a fat ass first lady trying to tell your kids they have to eat vegetables while she goes out and gorges on ribs and fries. What a hippo crit

Oscar

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Quote: <i>"People who work for tip's are paid well less then Min Wage. Tips are suppose to make that up."</i>

Quote: <i>"A server makes about $2.35 per hour, the majority of their income is derived from the tips they receive."</i>

Baloney. Violation of Federal minimum wage law and most state minimum wage laws.

15. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Active Member

The Federal minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.13 per hour. If you don't like the food, or if it's slow, it is not the waitpersons fault. Tip the waitstaff for what they did or did not do. If you don't like the food, don't go back.

16. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Active Member

Frank C,

"Ahhhh Europe, where no tipping is the norm!"

It's built into the price of the meal, the servers are paid more.

Europe is broke, don't pretend they do anything better.

5 Stand Dan

17. gcessna

gcessna Member

I am just getting back to Trap shooting after 45 yrs. I notice cans are out at some clubs for tips for the trap boys/girls. That was something new, but so is the ear and eye protection. Some clubs in the area discourage tipping. I asked one club mgr. where the tip can is and he said I don't allow that here because I pay well enough and have other "Percs" and I don't want some one complaining they were beat by one bird and saw another shooter handing a tip to the scorer. My gun ejects out the bottom and no shell catcher. A club I shoot at the trap boy after each round jumped to help me pick up hulls, they also often times see you packing up to leave and will yell "thank you for coming, hope to see you next week"

What does other club do?

Gary

18. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

I do a few shifts as a bartender, and the $2.35 / hour base is correct.

Day after Xmas, the restaraunt was absolutely slammed, and to top if off, two of the cooks called out sick. Entire place was completely "in the weeds" (think of a Trap Tournament with 25% of the traps not working correctly). I had one family leave $1 on a $60 check, with a note: "You could have tried harder."

LOL

We were all busting ass, but there was no possible way that it could go smoothly, given the conditons (e.g., part of the problem was the food - managers cooking is not as good as cooks cooking). NOBODY could have tried harder! And they got at least part of their meal comped due to the problems.

Have consideration for your server and bartender....they're the face of the place, but often are at the mercy of things beyond their control.

19. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I do not have trouble taking care of the wait staff. I get pretty offended when they are unpleasant and act like whatever they do for you is a big favor, and then add a healthy tip into the bill. I know life is difficult for anyone on that level of the food chain, but a totoal of six minutes bringing two glasses of water and two plates of food should not demand that you pay them what would be an hours wage for a senior biochemical engineer. I really do not understand tipping at a buffett. Why sould you pay someone to say "here's your table, drinks are over there, silver ware is on the end". Their main job is to make sure everyone has a paid ticket before they get food, security for the house is his bill, not mine.

20. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Agree on the buffet. Also don't understand the tip jar at some chain burger joints (Five Guys, etc.). They think you should tip them for handing an over priced burger across a counter?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.