1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

#1 reloading powder ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jbmi, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I know Remington likes to boast about their STS's being the favorite at the Grand.
    Is there any information as to the best selling powder used for trap reloading or maybe just the best selling powder sold for clay targets ?

2. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I would say promo ranks up there pretty high.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Unique was first, but Red Dot has to be the all time best seller.

Just my opinion.

HM

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

700X for target shooting.

4756 for hunting loads.

Curt

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

For a long time the market leader was Red Dot. Clays really ate into Red Dot's market share.

Then came Promo. If you consider Promo just a type of Red Dot, then Red Dot/Promo is probably the current market leader.

6. frank t

frank t TS Member

A few years back on this website an unofficial survey was taken. As I remember Hogdon Clays was the most used with 700x being second. However that was before Promo and Alliant Clays

7. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I own a reloading supplies store. I sell all brands of powder. Here is my list of top sales. Poupular listed first.

1: Green Dot

2: Promo

3: Red Dot

4: International Clays

5: Clays

I use Promo and Red Dot myself. I find that Promo is an awesome powder. It is the equivalent to Red Dot, only a little more dense. Alot of Red Dot users have been skeptikal about switching to Promo. The ones that do come back for Promo and the $12.00 savings.

Matt

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Good info Matt. Thank you.

How does Red Dot/Promo combined compare to Green Dot? Green Dot has always had a cult following.

There's is no 700-X on your list. I'm not surprised. I heard Clays had really hurt 700-X, basically because Clays displaced 700-X as the unRed Dot.

International Clays beating Clays was a bit of a surprise. Do you have any idea why that is so?

9. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I too have a shooting supply business, I sell mostly to trapshooters.
    Promo out sells all others put together and then Red Dot.
    Don

10. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

To answer all the questions, I sell locally and also vend @ trapshoots across the country. If you combined Red Dot and Promo, sales would be higher than Green Dot. International Clays sells better than Clays because of burn rate. Same aspect as Green Dot vs. Red Dot. A shooter can take International Clays and Green Dot and only use 1 powder. Start with 1 ounce loads on up to soft-shooting handicap loads. Red Dot and Clays have some recoil when loading 1250fps 1 1/8 ounce handicap loads. More shooters are trying to find economical ways to save money. Therefore Green Dot and International Clays gives that option. They can use powder for all 12 gauge, and also load 20 gauge with it. 700X is not on my list because...I don't sell much of it. No one locally uses it. When I go to a shoot on the road, I do sell some. I mean @ a 4 day trapshoot I might sell two 8 pounders. Promo, Red Dot, Green Dot, Clays, Intl. Clays sells 4 times that amount, if more. 700X has a cult-type following alot like Red Dot. People use it and will never switch. That is fine, that is why there alot of options. I will say this....I love Promo. For the money, burn rate, cleanliness it is hard to beat. I experiment with loads myself. I have been using Promo exclusively for the past year. The other day, I finished out a keg of Promo. I had alot of Red Dot in stock. I wanted to make myself test it. I pulled a Red Dot keg out of inventory (this is a plus to owning a component shop, LOL!) and set up my Hornady 366. Loaded 100 rounds with it. Took it to the range Thursday night and tried it out. I can't tell you any difference in Promo vs. Red Dot except Red Dot costs $12.00 per keg more. I will also say that Alliant Clay Dot is getting close to edging out Clays on my list. Clay Dot is a great powder.

Matt

11. 3357

3357 Member

RED DOT by a substantial margin.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

So many shooters have a powder they believe is best. But few know how or will take the time to carefully compare their favorite powder to other powders. Also, a shooters favorite powder can significantly change and the shooter never recognizes the change. For example, 700X was improved a year or so ago but nobody recognized the change even though the change was significant.

Pat Ireland

13. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

That's kinda' like asking "blonde, brunette or red-head"? You are obviously going to get a myriad of opinions.

As long as whatever you prefer results in a "controlled explosion", I guess you have found what works best for you, personally. *smiles*

14. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I believe the popularity of certain hulls may enter into the powder selection equation. Many shooters are staying away from AA's for whatever reason(s), and are switching to STS hulls exclusively. I've reported on the reasons why I don't like Clays/Clay Dot for handicap loads, in Remington hulls, and have switched to Green Dot, suspecting others may have done the same, or knew all along, the merits of using Green Dot for this application.

Some, will, however, extol the virtuousness of choosing this or that powder, citing a few cents savings per 1,000 shells, then throw their $10,000+ shotgun in their $50,000+ SUV and drive hundreds of miles to a shoot. {{GRIN}}

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I am on my 12th keg of PROMO, I use 18.5 to 19.5 Grains with 1 oz and 1 1/8th oz. loads, and very happy with the results and scores and cost, thats 3 ways to be happy.

I do use 800-X and Longshot for shootoff shells.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I've always shot Alliant powders.. Now.. about 44 years worth.. I know what they do.. understand their little quirks..and know the factory people.. It's a made in America company with a great product and great support to shooters..
    I've been loading Red Dot since I started.. and just about everything else at one time or another.. Now that I'm reloading pistol again.. but this time for myself.. I've gotten away from Winchester 231 and found Bullseye,Promo,Unique,Herco,and Blue Dot great powders to use for them.. But.. in this field.. Unique and Blue Dot are my most used powders..
    Anyway.. nothing else smells as good as Federal paper with 18 grains of Red Dot.. I've left instructions when I'm on my way out to light up a case of Federal paper..with Red Dot.. If the aroma does not revive me..Bury me.. All Good.. Happy Easter Mike

17. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Mike,

You got that right! Nothing smells like a Federal Paper.

Matt

18. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Matt.. It must be blessed by Red Dot... Ever smell a Federal Paper with 473AA... Make ya puke.. All Good.. Mike

19. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Rick - I haven't used 700-X for a while, so I don't know of recent changes. But I know of a change some years ago, say late 70s or early 80s. At that time it got really smokey. I remember shooting trap at night next to a guy using it. After he would shoot, the smoke, illuminated by the lights, would just hang in front of the firing line to the extent it was distractiong.

Rumor was that was about the time DuPont was stepping back from their full involvement with the powder business.

I would also be interested the change Pat Ireland mentioned.

20. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

What does the Brand Name/Factory use for their powders? Do they make their own or are they supplied by outside powders companies? Dave T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cost for 8 pounders re33 reloading powder

ncl reloading powder