1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

#1 reason for release triggers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by $$$SHTR, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

I think a Winchester Model 101 has to be the worlds worst kicker. That thing kicked with 7/8 oz 1150 shells.

Tomas

2. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Ruger Red Labels rank high on that list too...

3. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I heard release triggers were a new excuse when you ran out of pull trigger excuses.

Jerry

4. biff

biff Active Member

A KS5 put me in a release trigger!

5. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I also vote for the 101 face slappin SOB even a clyde slyde and gooey comb in conjunction with a release wouldn't keep me from flinching.Jerry

6. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Silver Bullets!!!!!!!!!!!

7. 410 JIM

410 JIM TS Member

Anybody else flinch with a release, what now?

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Kolar Bear ... why not get that Nod 12 properly fitted

I happen to own 14 of them at the present time ... and none kick me ... maybe it is because I make them fit properly?

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The first three guns listed were enough for me. I owned at least one of each before I learned my lesson. I also owned a KS-5 and it slapped me a bit (enough for me to peddle that one too), but nothing like the 101 or the Red Label.

I don't know what it is about factory Winchester stocks, but I've never found one that fit me very well.

ss

10. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Ahab I was thinking you have never shot them ? LOL

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

That's funny Alf'!

ss

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Have you ever considered why the same gun will kick one shooter a lot and not kick another shooter? Could the way a gun fits a shooter be more important than the gun when considering felt recoil?

Pat Ireland

13. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Pat, specifics such as you addressed are non essential when gun club technology is employed....

14. duckeye

duckeye TS Member

I think Pat hit the nail on the head It is the way a gun fits a shooter as to the amount of recoil the shooter will get . Personally I do not think that there is that much difference in 2 3/4 dram and 3 dram load in the same manufacture ammo except with the federal paper which I think will kick the snot out of you.

Duckeye

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Alf99 ... those Mod 12s won a lot of money and prizes for me ... back in the days when I was still a good shot!

16. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Ahab I agree the Model-12 was/is a good old gun and yes I still have one .

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

I do not flinch because of recoil. Recoil has little or no affect. The gun recoils the same with or without a release.

I doubt many people go to a release trigger because of recoil.

I can flinch with a release too - but not nearly as much.

So, the reason is, BRAIN PHARTS!! A disconnect between seeing the bird (or not seeing it when/where "expected") and the act of pulling the trigger.

Don Verna

18. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Pat:

Your observation about gun fit and felt recoil (slyly presented as a question) is a statement of conventional wisdom: the poorer a gun fits, the more likely it is that perceived recoil will be ugly.

Every gun is a great fit for someone and a terrible fit for someone else.
    Years ago I read somewhere that standard shotgun dimensions were designed for a male about 5' 9" and weighing about 160 pounds. Whether those numbers are accurate or not, mass produced guns are built to specs. which are presumably based on the dimensions of a typical shooter.

Red Labels and 101's are notorious as hard kickers. I'd be curious to hear the dimensions of owners of either model that can comfortably shoot 200 sporty clay, skeet, or trap targets without getting a nose bleed or otherwise feeling beat up.

sissy

19. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Model 12s? Well maybe Model 12 trapguns kicked, but all the Model 12 skeet guns I shot came with a Cutts, and those were surprising mild kickers.

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Additionally, you could have a perfectly fitted stock cut to your best numbers and still get the snot kicked outa you! Put it on a VERY lightweight 12 ga.fixed breech gun and welcome your new mule to the stable.

The shotguns weight mixed with a factory type stock guarantees it will kick most shooters. Any 12 ga with a fitted to you stock shooting a 1200 FPS 1-1/8th ounce load has the same amount of recoil as another brand if weight is the same.

Read Pat & the backwoodsman's (bird executioner) posts again. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.