1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 piece shotgun rod recommendations

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HSLDS, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

VFG makes a really nice one piece rod (also make a massive two piece one as well).

Worth looking at.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I've often wondered if a half inch hardwood dowel wouldn't work fine if you could crimp a threaded end onto it.

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I use a pair of the Dewey brass SG rods, one with a jag, the other with a brush, in my home cleaning setup.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Go to Midway or Sinclair. They have a variety of rods. I bought a real heavy one piece alum. rod for about @8.00. I bought two, and chuck one up in a drill.

5. open choke

open choke TS Member

Barrel wizard by shooters choice

watch the video on their website.

I use the shotgun & choke tube cleaner spray and then the rod with the paper towel 3 forward passes and it done.

TIP: they don't ship the barrel wizard and the spray together due to the way the package the wizard; so buy it from midway and you will save like 10 bucks or so

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Dewey has a nice one piece 5/16" brass rod that is 34" long. You should not need a coated rod for a shotgun as it is quite easy to keep the rod centered in the bore.

Brownells has the Dewey rod for $28.

Jim Skeel

7. bob easton

bob easton TS Member

Keep it simple. A 3/8 or 1/2 inch wooden dowel costs mere pennies at the home center. Whack the screw fitting off the end of the rod that's "worn" and glue it into a pocket in the end of the wooden dowel. Costs 3$ tops if you need to buy crazy glue, otherwise less than a buck. No waiting for UPS, etc. .... and it will never harm a barrel.

8. open choke

open choke TS Member

The dowel is a good idea come to think of it; but why is it that every time solvents, lubes, and othe cleaning products come up there is always someone who says to make something that is rigged up or "this one or that one is too expensive" when we all shot 2000.00+ plus guns?

9. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

Tmb99, I did make a rod from a half inch oak dowel.

I cut off the end of a cleaning rod and epoxied it
    in the end of a hole drilled in the wooden dowel. I can screw my attachments in the rod.

I attached a wooden ball on the other end in a hole drilled in the ball.

This is the best rod I have ever used!!!

Arnie

10. bob easton

bob easton TS Member

:eek:pen choke:
    Why the suggestion to be cheap with simple things? To have more money for shells and targets!!!

11. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi Member

Wooden dowels are great. One set up for each gauge. I drill a hole a bit smaller than the brush threads. I take a bore brush and coat the threads lightly with Johnson's paste wax, put a small amount of epoxy in the hole, then thread in the brush. Stays very tight, but can be removed to replace. Cheap and better than purchased rod.

After brushing the bore, stuff a rolled piece of paper towell in the breach, turn the dowel around and push the paper towel through. Bore come out squeeky clean.

12. open choke

open choke TS Member

thats the way the barrel wizard works. I guess i spend to much :(

13. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I use a 5/8" wooden dowel (lowes or home depot) then I order the plastic ball that goes on A hornady reloader handle and screw it right on to the dowel. Then I use paper towels for cleaning the bore. Works great, last forever and cheap!

14. Reinz

Reinz Member

I like steel, heavy beefy stainless steel.

I use the Pro Shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

one piece shotgun rods