1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 oz. with Hornady Versalite wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by leftex, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leftex

leftex Active Member

Does anybody know of a published 1 oz. load using Hornady Versalite wads in either AA or STS hulls? I have 4,000 of these that I need either to use or sell.
    Thanks,
    Wayne

2. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Wayne, I have access to some testing equipment both for velocity and pressures. This morning I weighed and loaded some STS hulls, WW primers, 18.0 Red Dot, DR Vesalite wads, with a 1 oz. (438 g) of #8s payload. I didn't adjust my reloader at all. The shells looked good, a little concave but not bad at all. I'll get you the info sometime this next week.
    I use Versalite wads all the time for my handicap loads. In my opinion, they are the best handicap wads on the market other than the Spolar wads which are the greatest.

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Wayne.... I load Versalites exclusively for long yardage handicap. In my opinion, they are not a good fit as a 1oz. wad. Check with Downrange for verification. Even with a bulky powder like Rex I or Promo, the crimp will have a substantial dish to it which will increase pressures somewhat.. If recoil is your reason for 1oz. loads, try loading the Versalites with 11/8oz of shot in a light 1145-115-fps load. Much nicer combination.... Just my experience..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. leftex

leftex Active Member

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I didn't think there was a good way to use them for 1 oz.

Wayne

5. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

6. leftex

leftex Active Member

To put an end to all speculation about whether or not these wads are good for 1 oz. loads check out the pics below. This little piece of paper is in each bag of wads.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

handicap with versalite wad

hornady versalite wad

hprnady versilite wads