1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 oz. Wad Selection

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigclown, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

I am using Rem. STS hulls with a 1 oz. load out of the Hodgdon Manual: 17 gr. Clays and Win. 209 primer. With a pink Claybuster clone of the WSL pink wad, the crimps are shallow and the load seems to fill up the hull a little too much. I tried a white Claybuster clone of the Win. white WAA12 (generally used for 1 1/8) and the fit and crimp seemed much better. Since the load is still 1 oz. and the pressure is low, is it wrong to use the white wads for 1 oz. loads? Thanks, Ed

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

No problem what so ever if you are getting good crimps. The Hodgdon website says you can go all the way up to 18.4 grains with the WAA12 wad and W209 primer, so 17.0 grains and being light on the shot load is fine.

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have used the WAA12 wad for 1 ounce loads and they turn out fine. I also used Remington TGT 12 and they were fine. Even used the Remington Figure 8 with 1 ounce loads. No problem. Sometimes you have to adjust the final crimp when changing from one wad to another. If I use a AA hull in my P/W; that's another issue. I cannot produce an acceptable crimp, no matter how I adjust. I will only reload STS and sometimes Gun Clubs. I load 17 grains of Clays or Red Dot makes no difference. Also, I refuse to pay Remington or Winchester their outrageous primer price; therefore I use Fiocchi primers. Ed

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I have loaded the same 1oz. components, just with a few tenths more powder without any trouble with crimp depth, etc, on several different presses. I would check the press adjustments and see if something is off a bit. Are you sure you are dropping 1oz of shot? It wouldn't be the first time someone has used the wrong bushing or bar while having a senior moment. I don't see much of a problem with the 1 1/8 oz wad, but I'd check with the powder manufacturer first, and then chronograph some to see where they are at in comparison, velocity wise. You can always send some out and have them tested for pressure and velocity, if you aren't sure.

5. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

Before you give up on 12AASL clones, I recommend you give the new Downrange Manufacturing ones a try. I am switching over from using WT-12's to pink 1 Oz wads and was having similiar problems with crimps using Claybusters. I happended to have the sample wads that Kevin sent out a couple of weeks ago and gave them a try. The pink wad from Downrange is slightly shorter than the Claybusters (there was recently a thread here on TS.com with details) and they work perfectly without any adjustments. Plus, they feed through my loader much better to boot. Gamaliels just began to stock them in case quantities and I just got done ordering some from them. Might want to give them a try.

6. Bob Merkov

Bob Merkov Member

Try the Green Duster's once and you'll never use anything else. Send me your address and I'll send you some to try.

Bob M.

7. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Thanks a bunch for all who replied - your thoughts are appreciated. Bob M. will drop you a message. Since I live a short distance from Hodgdons here in KC, may drop by their office. Best Regards, Ed

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

We had abunch of JUNK green dusters in my area , Nothing but REM. TGT-12 from now on. Jeff

9. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

Big tuna

Maybe you are setting your wad to deep. I load STS-Nitro 27-Gun club hulls with Win 209 primer 16.5 700x with Claybuster CB 1118-12 (white) for 1 1/8 oz #8 or change shot bushing and load 1 oz #8 with Claybuster CB 1100-12 (pink) wads Perfect factory looking crimp every time without any adjustments. When I compared the Downrange DRA-12 wads sent out as sample They looked to be inbetween the White and Pink Claybuster wads. The DRA wad crimp was deep but did hold the shot in. Maybe the way your reloader is set up the DRA-12 wad would be your solution.

10. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I heard the dusters produced noticeably more recoil. Any truth to that?

Forrest

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Forrest, I shot a gigzillion of the dusters before they raised prices to near Winchester and they DID chronograph a bit faster and may have had a bit more felt recoil. They did, when I was dabbling with them, weigh more than WAA 12SL or CB wads by a few 10ths of a grain. I attributed both possibilities to the deeper over-powder skirt and a better seal at the time of ignition. Was any of that a factor to quit them for me? NO!...breakemall....Bob Dodd

12. dfm

dfm Member

Use the load you've listed with the WJII and no wad pressure. It works like a champ and fits into the hull without any undue effort.

My normal setup is STS hull, Cheddite primer, 17.6grns. Rex I (MEC 32 bushing), WJII wad and 1oz. of West Coast 8's. Tough to beat for an all around load regardless of the game.

13. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I stsrted using Downrange after receiving some samples and haven't looked back since.

14. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I load 18 gr. of Red Dot in a AA hull with thw Waa12 wad and 1o/z shot.This is a published load in Reloading for Shotgunners 4th Ed.1200 fps recoils little and patterns well.Loads well in the new style hulls.In the Rem. hull it is 18.5 Red Dot,waa12,1o/z shot and a 209p primer.This is also 1200 fps.Both of these loads can be loaded up to 19.5 gr. if you wish.

Darr

15. gasman03

gasman03 Member

I agree the Downrange XL-1 is a great wad. Plus I just talked to Kevin today at the Nebraska High School Shoot and he was very eager to help and answer my questions. I like the personal service you get with them.

Corey

16. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

esoxhunter, don't give up on reloading Win AA HS hulls. The Downrange DRA-12 Pink 1 oz and the DR-XL-1 Neon Green wads both reload great in Win AA hulls. I was using 1-1/8 oz wads to reload 1 oz loads in the Win AA hulls until I bought a bunch of the DR-XL-1 wads. They have a deeper shotcup than the 1 oz Win wads. Now Downrange has the new DRA-12 Pink 1 oz wad that is about 1/8" shorter than the Win AA 1 oz wad, the shotcup is still the same size as the Win AA 1 oz wad. Today was the first time I have reloaded with the new DRA-12 Pink wad and it worked perfect in the Win AA hulls with 17.5 grains of Clays and 1 oz of shot.

17. JonP

JonP Member

Just my 2 cents,

I got away from the Claybusters because (for me) they just seemed to leave way to much plastic fouling - especially at the choke tube juncture. Went to TGT-12s and the the drop in plastic fouling is significant - but they do cost more (about 7 to 8 cents a box of 25 if you buy by the case). But, the ability to load 1oz. and 7/8oz. without touching the machine is a plus (the 7/8oz. dish in slightly but nothing significant).

Tried the the Downrange wads after reading about them here. The plastic fouling seems to be on par with the TGTs but, 1 oz only in the JXL-1(Purple Jammer 8 petal type) and DRXL- 1 (Neon Green. You'll have to get their new 7/8oz wads - I think the taper hull wads are pink and straight hull wads are red the way I read it in Shotgun Sports.

I tried both the 1 oz. wads above and WILL NOT be buying the JXL-1 (Purple wads) anymore. Here's why: I almost doubled to tripled my reloading time because I had to really work and concentrate to get the wad over the shot tube (Mec Loader) without getting one of the small flimsy 8 petals up the shot tube. The petals are bent out of shape and position from shipping. Then even when you get it correct, shot can still get in between the hull and the wad because some are so mis-shaped. Then, to deal with that you get your train knocked off the track and the next thing you know powder and shot are dropping on the bench. However, that said they worked great when you finally got them loaded.

The Neon Green Down Range wads are the way to go for 1 oz. IMHO for the price, less plastic fouling, and ease of loading. However, I think I'm going to stick with the TGT's so I can load both of my standard loads of 1 oz. & 7/8oz. without having different components.

Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

jxl1 wad

jxl1 wad who makes it
using waa12 wads for 1 oz loads
waa12 1 ounce load
waa12 for 1 ounce loads
wad selection