1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 oz wad for new Fiocchi hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yakimaman, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Have ended up witn 500 new,primed Fiocchi 12 ga hulls - I'm fairly new to reloading and now find these hulls are straight wall and I'll need a bit wider wad to seal the powder. Anyone using these? Ballistic Products will sell me load data and a VP05 wad - any other recommendations?

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Check Alliant and Hodgdon. They both have loads for these hulls. I usually use the Federal 12S0 and 12S3, but data has been limited. There are many other combinations listed. VP05 wads are decent, from what I've seen.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

What powder are you gonna use? No need to buy load data. If you use Alliant powders you can simply go to their site and get data for free. I use Green Dot and there are several 1 oz wads that will work with it. Just as an example these wads below are all 1 oz to be used with your hull and Alliants Green Dot.

WAA12SL

Jammer XL-1

TGT12

12S0

Purple PC

4. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

grntitan: I saw those recommendations, as I also use Green Dot. But the Purple PC has been out of production and a 1.125oz load from the same Alliant Guide shows using a WAA12 wad - that's what I'm using in AA hulls and it sure doesn't work in the Fiocchi. Wad is under diameter - powder migration up the sides and and crater in the crimp deep enough to drink coffee from. Feel I'm going to end up with 500 wads here, 500 there, until I find one that works. Buying these hulls seemed like a good idea but maybe I should have just switched my AA loads instead of going to a new hull.

5. grntitan

To be honest the Fiocchi hulls i loaded were 1 1/8oz and i wasn't impressed either with the way they turned out. I used the Remington RXP12 wad and 20 grains Green Dot. It was more or less an experiment and a short lived one at that. I can't get away from using Remington STS hulls as they do everything i need and i don't end up with the headaches some of the other hulls give me. Just tried to help with the Alliant info but i haven't personally loaded 'em as 1 oz. Sorry.

6. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

Consider the DRXXL Orange wad. The overpowder cup has extra rings molded on to stop the powder migration problem. Would probably work well for 7/8 or 1 ounce in the Fiocchi hull. I have used it with 17 gr. of Promo for a light shooting O/U load or with 18 gr. of Promo for use in 1100s and 11-87s. Also consider the CB6100-12 which looks like just another WAA12SL clone but has a slightly wider overpowder cup to work better in straight-wall hulls. Use the data in the Alliant booklet for the Fiocchi hull, 12S0 wad. Or just use the 12S0 wad! Have fun!

Terry

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Pretty easy problem, actually, and you have a lot of choices that will work well.

The VP-05 is a good wad and will give you a good seal and good fill.

Fed 12S0 (or clone) is the 'default' 1oz straight wall wad, and you'll be delighted with it. The CB is just a taste longer than the DM clone and would probably fit GD better.

The DM XXL-orange is a strange critter that works awfully good in straight-wall hulls for 1ox.

You won't waste them, anyhow, as eurotrash hulls are all over, and load with the same data.

Bob

8. grntitan

Bob--What is the VP-05 wad. I have never heard of that one. Who makes it and does it have any other uses i.e. other hulls? Thanks

Matt

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Ballistic Products sells the VP-05 Wad. Click on the link.

It looks a lot like the wads that come out of all the European 24 gram shells I'm shooting.

10. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Matt, the VP series wads are Danish, Vagner Plastics. They have a plant in Florida, and BPI is their sole distributor.

The VP-05 is a 24gm wad that loads sweetly with either 7/8 or one ounce. Some of the other wads ... the -10, -13 & -15 have had some blow-through problems, and ten gauge (on TS.com) has been heavily involved with them, but there have been no issues with the -05.

Their steel wads are good, and the cheapest out there, so everybody who re-loads steel uses them.

If you & son want to play with some light loads, you can do a lot worse than the VP-05, and keep in mind that I loathe BPI.

I just finished loading my Teal & Woodie bullets for this year: F-209A, Federal Paper, 24gn of PB, VP-05 and 24gm of #5 Bismuth. Those are some serious baby duck bullets.

Bob

11. grntitan

Bob--Forgot i had asked about these wads. Thank you for the education on 'em. I think i'll stick with what i'm doing currently. Pretty happy with the results i'm get'n now with the Fig 8's and RXP12 wads.

For what its worth, i won 4 flats of 1 ounce Estate with 7 1/2 shot at a shoot last fall. I personally hated the darn shells but the boy shot them very well. He ended up shoot'n a 98 at one SCTP shoot in some nasty wind and rain. I had no problem getting him to shoot the rest of those 1 ounce Estates after that. LOL

12. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Tkhe orange DRXXL is the way to go in the cheapie straight walled hulls. I'd use a faster powder than Green Dot for the one ounce loads to give you a faster and full powder burn. Clays or Red Dot might serve you better.

13. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

The Claybuster 2100 (clone for the 12SO) is what I have used in the Fiocchi hull in the past with good results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best wades for ficohio hulls
best wads for 12 ga fiocchi hulls
best wads for fiocchi hulls

fiocchi wads

vp05 wad
wad for fiocchi hulls
wads for fiocchi hulls
what is the best brand of wads for fiocchi shells