1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 oz vs 1 1/8oz loads for recoil reduction

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, Jun 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I have noticed from past threads many shooters have dropped back from shooting 1 1/8oz loads to 1oz loads for recoil reduction. I have also noticed many are shooting 1oz loads at near 1200fps or more. My question is this: What is the calculated recoil difference of 1 1/8oz loads at 1150fps vs 1oz loads at 1200 fps? It would seem to me that switching to 1oz loads and increasing velocity would have a minimal decrease, if any, in absorbed recoil.

Are there factory or other ammo charts available for comparison? Not looking for seat of the pants (shoulder) responses but factual hard data.

Let the fun begin. Marc

2. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I shoot 1 oz. loads @ 1125-1150 for singles. I really cannot tell any difference except for lack of recoil.......I believe I saw a difference of approx. 2 1/2 ft/# somewhere but your shoulder will be the final judge.

Why would you compare one load @ 1150 with another @ 1200?

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

With dissimilar shot weights , 1200 may indeed give less recoil with greater velocity. That old laws of physics again!

4. luvtrapguns

hunter44

I have noticed the faster 1oz loads are what many shooters are using for singles. Seems to me recoil will not be reduced vs 1 1/8oz 1150's. Just an inquiring mind I guess. Marc

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The 1200fps loads vs 1 ounce at 1290fps has little effect added recoil for speed of shot also has little effect.

But you take a 1145 1 1/8th Vs 1250fps 1 1/8th you can feel the difference
    and the velocity on a centered target you can see the results.

I just loaded some 1 ounce loads this morning @1290fps w/promo powder 7.5s
    shot, I save a little lead every 8 shells I get a free one.

Plus my Silver Seitz Gun w/ Tom Wilkinson Bbl work and pattern ability goes together very well.Plus it also has a Soft Touch Stock, very soft shooting.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

Recoil energy in a 9 1/4 pound gun 1 1/8oz @1145 = 12 foot pounds 1 oz @1200 = 10 foot pounds If I am doing the math right that is still a 17.7% reduction in recoil energy. Based on the above website a 1oz @ 1290 has the same recoil energy and recoil velocity as the 1 1/8 @ 1145 IE: 12 foot pounds @ 9 fps

--- Chip King ---

7. goony

goony Active Member

I have been using 7/8 oz. at 1250 fps and it has really made a big difference in the felt recoil. I can't tell the difference in the target breaks compared to the 1 oz. loads. I had to stop using the 1 1/8 loads due to recent eye surgery.

8. luvtrapguns

Chip, Thanks for doing the math. I had looked at this earlier but was not in the mood for the brain strain (LOL). Numbers indeed make the lighter/slower loads look desireable for singles. Marc

9. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

1 oz. lods "defeniently" reduced recoil! I shoot only 1 oz. loads now,however, bear in mind the laws of physcics cannot be broken! If you reduce your shot charge you will have less recoil, But, reducing one thing does NOT mean you can add another. 1 oz. loads approcing 1300 PFS will still set you back. I try to hold my 1 oz. payloads of # 8s to 1200 FPS or less in order to reduce recoil.

10. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

Buy a benelli supersport

11. BigM-Perazzi

...and beat yourself to death...

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Load lighter and slower coupled with a heavier gun... I scanned this from the Hodgdon Reloading Manual...

spitter_2008_030368.jpg

Best regards all,

Jay

13. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

So 1 1/8 @ 1150 = 13 ft lbs, 1 oz at 1150 =10 ft lbs.
    That's about 24%. But after 100 rounds it's 300 ft lbs less.
    If you compare different velocities then you aren't comparing
    apples to apples. The figures are for a 9 lb gun.
    A 1 1/8 load at 1250 = 15 ft lbs. That's a 34% increase in
    recoil, or 500 ft lbs per 100 rounds.

Mike C.

14. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I have gotten away from 11/8 loads for recoil purposes. I like 7/8 oz at 1175 fps, using #8's, and 1 oz loads at 1150fps with 7 1/2's. Recoil I have not calculated, but it is less. Please note I am not an AA/27/AA shooter, I am sure they will have a differant opinion.

15. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

The above link is a recoil calculator that will do all the math for you. Weigh your gun, shot, wad, powder, then enter your velocity and voila, foot pounds of recoil energy.

Regards,

Chip Porter

16. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I just finished loading a box of STS with 17.8gr Red Dot and 1oz. #8s with a CB-1100 wad just to see how they perform. I will report on my non-technical on the line study. I.E. If I break them ok and the recoil is less then I will report that as a success. In the long run I should get 46.4 more shells reloaded per bag of shot.

If that works ok then I am going to try 7/8 oz. Loads for further savings.

Chuck

17. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Chuck....some readers with expertise can help with why 11/8 are best! More pellet count or......"i need all the help I can get". BUT, I like less recoil, and the savings are always great. So I like 7.5's or 8's in a 7/8 oz load, at about 1175 - 1200 fps. All the energy your need with either shot size to dust'em, plenty of speed also, and less recoil over the day.

18. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Bkt514,

I'm an engineer and understand all the technical stuff about recoil (action, reaction, force, etc.). I was trying to think in practical terms of cost savings of the lighter loads, and if they work as good as heavier shot weight loads.

However, for all the technocrats here, the formula by Hodgen is not entirely correct. The formula given doesn't take into account the angle between the centerline of the bore and the centerline of the buttstock.

If after you are finished with the calculations in the given formula you take your answer and multiply the answer by the cosine of the angle between those two components, the resultant will be the recoil force at your shoulder. The difference between the two answers, will be the resultant force that is absorbed in the roll of your weapon I.e. Muzzle jump. Not much of a difference but still a difference.

Chuck

19. BigM-Perazzi

Chuck, I like 7/8 and 1 oz 1200 fps for practice, but, I invariably go back to the 1 1/8 1150 loads for registered singles... I guess I don't want to give anyone an additional handicap.

20. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

BigM-----I do the same thing. It doesn't make any sense to not shoot the heavier load during competition.

Chuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how much less recoil with 1 oz trap loads