1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*** 1 OZ vs. 1 1/8 OZ. ***

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ismah, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ismah

ismah Member

I've tried to convince myself that one ounce loads were as good as one and a eighth. Last Saturday I took eight boxes of shells to the range, four one ouncers and four one and an eighth. I mixed them up and, not looking at the boxes, shot all eight boxes up. I kept the boxes in order so I'd know which was which. The one and an eighth were consistently better. In every case I hit more targets with the larger amount of shot. I think it was a pretty good test for me. I'll shoot one and an eighth from now on. Comments??

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The load in which you have the most faith will always work best for you. I second-guessed myself very often when I first went to one-ounce loads years ago but after I ran my first 100-straight with them, I believed they worked as well as 1-1/8-ounce loads IF I did my part.

Think about International trap, where 28-gram (about 7/8-ounce) loads are required. Even on their faster targets, scores went up after the lighter load was mandated. One-ouncers don't necessarily pattern better but they remove some of the recoil intimidation, allowing the shooter to stay in the gun better.

Ed

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Where's TRON????

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You must count the pellets in each shell inorder to be sure. HMB

5. KF9VH

KF9VH TS Member

Shot my first 25 straight with 1 oz loads and shot my first 50 straight with the same.

Surly when you shot them randomly you could tell buy the recoil, which was which.

It is not the arrow it’s the Indian.

6. ismah

ismah Member

I really couldn't tell the difference when shooting. I shoot an 870 Wingmaster and it kicks pretty hard with all rounds. I've been shooting one ounce loads for about six months, mediocre scores in the low 20s per round. I'm curious to see what change my average will be with the one and an eighth rounds.

7. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

ishma: I kinda did the same thing yesterday (Sunday) I ran out of 1oz wads and I couldn't find my 7/8 wads so I decided to load some 1 1/8 loads. Now I haven't loaded or shot 1 1/8oz in years. I shot three rounds, one with 1oz loads (23/25), next 1 1/8 (25 straight) last round 7/8oz (22/25). 1 1/8 had harder hits, Solid 25, no big chips. I'm shooting a new gun so I think I should stick with the 1 1/8 load, get the kinks ironed out, then fiddle with the loads. My receipe is AA shells, Clays powder(17.6gr, hoping for 1150 to 1180fps), Downrange XL (blue wads), Win W209 Primers. Eagle 8.5 shot. I'm shooting a K-80 so I have to watch my pressures. HEHEHEHE Dave T.

8. drh08

drh08 TS Member

Hey can't argue your findings. It you think 11/8 rocks, it's all you need to know. Don't even read the rest of the posts that are sure to come, talking about 7.5 shot and 8 shot and so on. Just keep the thought in you head you can't miss because you have 11/8.

Break them all, even if you have to shoot some twice :))

9. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

Ed, isn't 1 oz. 28 gms, 15/16 oz. 26 gms and 3/4 24gms of shoot. I think you made a mistake like this in Shootgun sports years ago? Bruce

10. ismah

ismah Member

DAVE T. Question; My recipe is 18.2 grains of Clays, Rem TGT 12 wad, STS shell and WIN 209 primers. Rem TGT 12 wad's are supposed to allow both one ounce and one and an eighth loads but my re-loads bulge on top with them. Should I adjust my reloader (MEC 650) or just get a different wad?

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

[It is not the arrow it’s the Indian.]

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

*SIGH*

12. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

ismah: According to Remington, the TGT12S are made for 1oz only. So this wad is too tall to handle the extra 1/8oz of shot. I would switch to the Rem Fig8S or the RXP12 for the 1 1/8oz. Clays has data on the Fig8's:
    Lead Shot 12 1 1/8 oz. Clays Win. 209 Rem. Fig. 8 16.4 8,400 PSI 1090
    Lead Shot 12 1 1/8 oz. Clays Win. 209 Rem. Fig. 8 17.5 9,700 PSI 1145
    Lead Shot 12 1 1/8 oz. Clays Win. 209 Rem. Fig. 8 18.6 11,000 PSI
    Have fun. Dave T.

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Obviously, Bruce, I may not know. Isn't 28 grams the limit for International? I know their limit equates to right around 7/8 of an ounce and thought that was 28 grams. Maybe it is 26. Oh, well. I just glad someone worries about my mistakes.

Regarding using the TGT-12S wad for 1-1/8-ounce loads, that is the wad Remington loads in 1-1/8-ounce Nitro 27 shells since they went to a Titegroup equivalent powder. If you compare FIG-8 and TGT-12S shot cups, I think you'll find they are identical in height. The shape of the figure-8 cushion section and the color were the only differences in the two wads the last time I checked.

Ed

14. vegas blaster

vegas blaster TS Member

1 oz = 28.3 grams. 7/8 oz ~ 24 grams.

15. ismah

ismah Member

DAVE T. Thank you for the heads-up. The bag my TGT 12s comes in states they are good for both sizes. I just checked Remingtons web site and it says the TGT 12s are only good for one ounce loads. Now my queston is I've loaded about ten boxes of shells using the TGT 12s and one and an eighth ounces of shot. Are they OK to shoot???

16. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Ismah, PLEASE don't dare shoot them. If you'd like, I will see that they are disposed of properly. NO charge either. Have fun,Bob

17. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Not sure. Your pressures will be off (lower) because the crimp isn't fully closed (unless that's a old wives tale). I've shot shells with partially opened crimps with no problem at all. We need some expert advice on this one. Have you measured your shot weights? Doulbe check that you're dropping 1 1/8oz.
    Dave T.

18. skarloey

skarloey TS Member

I asked Ben Amonette at Alliant just the other day about substituting the TGT12 for the FIG 8 in a particular 1 1/8 oz. Red Dot recipe. He predicted that the crimp would bulge but that the load would be safe to shoot. I have not tried it.

19. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Was the velocity of the two loads different? Could the gun/barrel/choke just happen to like one load over the other? Different size shot? Different wads and/or powder? If the answer to some of those questions suggest the loads were different in addition to the shot weight, the test should have done little to convince you which is best. Is the preferred load the one you should stick with? Heck yes! For whatever reason it was best for your circumstances and clearly provides you with confidence. But then there are some folks that would poo poo the heavy load just because they have trouble with recoil, staying in the gun, or other issues; even just prefer to save a few dollars with 100 shots. I've broken a decent number of 100s up close with 1 oz and 7/8 oz (even close to 100s at skeet) with the weenies and not a single one with 1 1/8 oz loads - guess where my confidence lies. Perfect for everyone - heck no!....breakemall....Bob Dodd

20. ismah

ismah Member

I just checked with Remington. They said the web site is in error and the TGT 12s are OK for one and an eighth ounce loads and my recipe. They, in fact, use TGT 12s in their factory Nitro shells.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1 oz shot for dove

one ounce verses ounce and eighth shot