1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 oz. Trap Load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I'm looking at this for a load but will have to subsitute my wad. The book calls for a WAA12SL wad and I will be using a DR XL1 wad.

Rem. STS 12ga hull
    DR XL1 wad
    16.5g of e3 powder
    a medium strength primer, probably Fiocchis.

The reason I'm asking is if you look at the wads you can substitute the XL1 for you can find load that require as little as 15g of powder and some as high as 17g that both claim to shoot at 1150 FPS. I don't have a chrono so I want a load that will give me a FPS of around the 1150 mark.

2. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Rich, I use DR XL1 all the time for 1 ounce loads from the 27 yd line. these are great wads but hard to find data for them =( i load them like a windjammer and get the same speed and performance out of them. BYG

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I'd suggest that you contact Alliant and/or Downrange Mfg and ask for their suggestions. Not only are you substituting the wad, but you are also substituting the primer. There is no listing for any primer other than the Remington on Alliant's site in the current data. You can also assemble some and send them out for pressure and velocity testing. That way you'd have a better idea what your load is doing. It would likely cost you less than a chronograph.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Go to just about any established rifle range when there are folks shooting and someone should have a chronograph.

I'm sure they would oblige you.

HM

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I was going to say the samething as Halfmile. I have done some testing of loads and the wads as far as I could tell only affected FPS. I was testing PC wads and Claybusters. Both 1oz wads. PC was slower while the Claybusters were up to what I expected.

6. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Do what Quack Shot suggests: call Alliant and talk to them. Opinions are dangerous.

Using a borrowed chrono will tell you ROUGHLY how fast the load is but will tell you NOTHING about the pressures it generates.

Lister

7. oz

oz Active Member

Once you use fiocchi primers you are stuck using them. If you try rem, win, cheddite they will fall out. oz

8. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I thought I had heard that the new Fiocchis were the same size as the Rems, win, cheddites, etc?

9. hduc2005

hduc2005 TS Member

they are the same size I switch from FIO616 to WIN209 all the time no problems here

10. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

The DR-Neon wad is a ballistic clone to the WAA12SL, the Fiocchi 616 is a known-good medium-strength primer and 16.5gn of e3 is pure vanilla.

Fill & empty in the usual fashion.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1 ounce trap loads

1 oz trap loads

1oz trap load

best 1 ounce trap loads

best 1oz trap load

best ounce trap load

trap shooting 1 oz load