1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 oz Reload Recipe?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin77, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

I'm just starting back reloading, after 1 1/2 years. Rem. Gun Club hulls, with 1 oz #8, Claybuster WAA12F1 wads....what about primers and powder? Thanks WC

2. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

For my 1 oz loads I use Promo. 16.7 gr in a Gun Club hull. Cheddite primers. Cheap and get's the job done. Should work well with your Claybuster wads with 8's.

Matt Krizinski

3. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

Are the Hodgdon and Alliant powders....Clays, Int. Clays, Univ. Clays, Clay dot....all about the same? Are they interchanable as far as bushings? Thanks WC

4. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Dolphin77: NOTHING is interchangeable as far as bushing. Use your scale.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I think you have the wrong wads for a 1 oz load. Check the data at www.alliantpowder.com and www.hodgdon.com. Use the data EXACTLY as written and do NOT substitute copmponents, unless you have data to support it. Be sure to weigh your powder and shot drops with a reloading scale. Don't trust the charts. Try to select loads with pressures below 9000-9500 PSI and above 7000 PSI. That will help keep you out of trouble by adding a little headroom for error.

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Each powder is different; some burn slow, some burn fast, some can lift 1 1/4 oz of shot without blowing up the gun, others are happier lifting 1 oz. Each has its own data. DO NOT USE ANY POWDER OTHER THAN WHAT IS CALLED FOR IN THE FORMULA AND DO NOT MIX POWDERS TOGETHER. Hodgdon, in particular, didn't do us any favors by marketing so many powders with the name "CLAY(S)" in them and more than one reloader has been tripped up by not paying close attention to which Clay they were using.

There are a few exceptions: Alliant Claydot can be used weight for weight in formulas that call for Hodgdon Clays (that's intentional) and Aliant Promo can be used weight for weight in data calling for Alliant Red Dot (that's intentional too).

You must use a scale or balance to verify the weight that a bushing drops; DO NOT TRUST BUSHING CHARTS TO BE ACCURATE. The density of a powder will vary from batch to batch and it may be necessary to change powder bushings to get the proper weight.

MK

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

WC,

I don't know if you were trolling with that last statement or just that careless about reloading. Either way, could you please post what clubs you shoot at so I can avoid them like the plague.

ss

8. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

Heah Short Shucker.....I ain't stupid, just trying to find out about the different powders that are out there that weren't out there a couple of years ago....to all, thanks for the replies, I got my answer...WC

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

WC,

A quick look at the bushing charts and reloading data will give you the answer that you desire. If you don't have a book, all the data is available online.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1 ounce reload recipies