1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 oz red dot recipe

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nrasmus, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nrasmus

nrasmus Member

Looking for some help guys, thank you in advance for all of it!!

I recently started shooting skeet and would like to try some 1 oz loads. I now reload 1 1/8 oz hevy handicaps (1275fps) and they shoot well at skeet but would like to try a 1 oz load of #9's. I have a few pounds of red dot I would like to use up and I normally shot Win 209 primers. I also have about 1,000 once fired fiocchi hulls I want to put this in if possible otherwise I can put it in my standard STS hulls. My current wad is a rem fig 8, but I would like to ry something made by downrange like the 1 oz windjammer maybe. Does anybody have a good 1 oz load of red dot that would work well with skeet go into a fiocchi hull and get over 1200 fps? All my fiocchi data says use a FIO 616 can I use that recipe and just substitute a win 209? Wanted to ask the experts before I blow something up.

Thanks for the help
    Nick

2. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Nick, You may have a problem useing Winchester primers after Fiocchi primers. The Fiocchi is a tad larger in diameter and could result in loose primers. Also, A good rule of thumb when reloading Is, "If you aren't sure of pressure related factors, back the powder off a grain or two"..........Roger

3. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

Nick:

The best advice that I can give you is to contact the various powder manufactors or visit their webb sites to obtain published data concerning reloads and components. This may sound very basic, but by all means use a good scale to check your powder drops.

While others on this site have a vast amount of experience in reloading, there is in my opinion no substitute for reliable data from the manufactors.

Regarding one ounce loads, I have found that they are economical, they have less recoil, and if I do my part, they will break targets.

Good luck!

Dave

4. bilm67

bilm67 TS Member

I have had a similar problem. I bought some red dot and wanted to put together some 1 oz loads with WAA hulls, waa12sl wads and win209 primers (was using clays and wanted to load this with Red DOt). I found some data on alliant's site about this load and put it together with the waa12sl wads and had dished crimps. The problem appears to be that the red dot will compress much more and did not fill the hull. I went back to the drawing board and started with some fresh STS hulls (most of my AA's were old and will be reserved for 1 1/8 loads) sts primers and 7/8 wads. I put together a few of these with the following combinations. Remington STS hull, 17.8 grn of Red Dot, CB 0178 wads and 1 oz of 7.5 shot. It looks like you need to use the 7/7 oz wad until you get to about 19.5 grain of red dot, but this is a hotter load than I want to shoot. With the 7/8 oz wad and 1 oz of shot, the loads crimp pretty nicely. I haven't shot any yet, but I will find out this weekend.

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Nick, my long time favorite 10z load was STS hull, STS209 or W209 primer (doesn't make any difference), 16.8gr Red Dot, TGT-12 wad, 1oz hard shot. It was good for 1150fps. That's plenty for Skeet. You can bump the powder to 18gr and get 1200fps @8700psi (Alliant data). Alliant gives you data for this load all the way up to 21gr for 1290fps @10700psi.

You can substitute the DRM TGT-12 clone for the Remington wad. I've never used more than 18gr for this load, but everything fit fine.

Or, you could go to Alliant's web site and look in the reloading section to find loads using Fiocchi hulls, F161 primers and Red Dot with DRM wads.

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

Green Dusters or XL-1, 1 oz shot, 17.5 gr of Red Dot or Promo, AA or STS hulls, Win 209

Perfect crimps. Nice light load for 16's practice.

Don Verna

7. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

I shoot 17 grains grains of red dot, 1 oz. #7.5, new style AA hull, fiocchi primer, and an orange wt12 wad. book says its 1150, but chronographs between 1150 and 1200. from 16 back to 27 yards this shell will break the target.

another good shell is 18.8 of solo 1000, 1 1/6 #7.5, federal top gun hull, fiocchi primer, and a downrange XL-1. chronographs at 1225. I shoot alot of protections or buddy shoots and this is what I use on the first shoot from the 27 yard line. hope i could help.

8. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

"Wanted to ask the experts before I blow something up."
    Thanks for the help Nick

If you really mean that then you should be contacting the powder companies instead of soliciting information from posters on a message board whose level of expertise you have no way of knowing.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you want to use Fiocchi hulls you will have better success with Federal type wads, you need the larger diameter.

Watch the base wad height with Fiocchi hulls I had some differences in the supply I had. Been there done that.

Pick up the Estates or Top Guns everyone tosses, it's easier.

I have a garbage bag full of Top guns I will give away if you come get them.

HM

10. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

+1 on the Gun Club Hulls; they're usually free, and work very well with typical tapered wads like AA, Green dusters and esp your Fig 8's.

I do not care for the Fio hulls; they're straight wall and thinner than the Federal Top Guns and Estates. All 3 of these use more powder for lower velocity and usually cite a Fed 209A (hot) primer and a larger wad like 12S0, 12S3 or equal. But if you insist on them, look up those hulls and compare the loads with red dot. The Fiocchi primer is excellent but so are your W 209s. I am shooting some 1 oz shot with Fed hulls with 12S3 wads, 19 gr Red dot and Fio 616 or W209 primers. Note that these are not max loads. Look them up and see.

regards

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

nrasmus

For the Fiocchi hull, I've used the Federal 12S0 wad, 18 grains of Red Dot or Promo, Winchester W209 primer or Fiocchi 616, and 1 oz of shot. It chrono'd a little over 1200 fps and my 1100 functioned quite well with them. You can substitute the TGT12, WAA12SL, or Windjammer II 1 oz wads. You would get similar velocities, but I tend to go with the Federal type wads, since they are a better fit for the straight tube hulls. The jammers were a little slower. You can go up to 19.0 grains for a little over 1250. Pressure should be reasonable and under 10,000 PSI. 20.0 grains of Green Dot will get you just over 1200 and 21.0 grains just over 1250 with the 12S0 wad and 1 oz of shot, either primer. The pressures would be lower than with Red Dot. I would double check the Alliant site or call and ask their opinion.

You should have no trouble using the Winchester primer after the Fiocchi 616 had been loaded. They are very close in diameter. The forward end of the Fiocchi is larger than the forward end of the Winchester, but the Winchester is a stepped diameter profile and should be a good fit, since the maximum diameters are close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1 oz load red dot or clay

best red dot recipe

cb0178 1 oz load red dot

red dot 1 oz load

red dot 1 oz load with aa fed 209

red dot powder recipes

red dot recipes

red dot trap loads