1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 oz practice & 1 1/8 oz Match - Any Experience?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lboh, Jan 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lboh

lboh Member

Anyone use 1 oz practice loads and 1 1/8 match loads?

Would load the same fps on each to keep that variable consistent.

If the fps is the same between the two, I am trying to determine if I would be "off" during matches.

On the one hand, I was thinking it might help by practicing with less shot

Thoughts?

2. yendor12

yendor12 Member

I have shot 1oz loads the last 2 years ,(2009 and 2010) with great results with my ability. Last year I went to 1 1/8 oz to see if I improved.
    I did. Went from B to A and gain 2.5 yards.
    Now was this do to me getting better or was it because of more shot?

I have patterened both. Both have given me good patterns with my gun but with 1 1/8oz loads the pellets were a little closer in my 30" circle. My thinking is a clay could slip through on 1 oz.

Rod

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

You may find that the 1 ounce loads work just as good from 16 yards as the 1-1/8 ounce loads, with less recoil.

But, to answer your question, there should be no issue with doing what you are proposing.

4. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I practice with 7/8 and 1 0unce for competition. I really don't see any difference in scores. I shoot an older fixed full choke BT-99

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Go to one once 8 1/2's, at 16 yds.

6. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

I feel that you should practice with what you intend to compete with. My reasoning behind this is that you will build up the endurance (more recoil in the 1 1/8) by using it as your everyday go to load. Your loading and shell selections will be narrowed down. Becomming used to 1 oz loads on an every day basis may leave you a little laging at the end of a 300 target day when you are using 1 1/8 for competition. Best bet, try it for a while and see what happens. Try 2 weeks (3 or 4) days a week and then switch to 1 1/8 for 300 rounds and see how you feel.
    Good luck with it

Bob

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I used to switch loads for "practice" and "comp" and I often wondered why I bothered considering that the breaks I got with the 1 oz loads were invariably better (no chunks, lots of little bits rather than a few large ones) than the ones I got with 1 1/8 oz loads. I don't do that any more and now I get 2 more boxes of reloads from a bag of shot.

Keller

8. Browning Boy

Browning Boy Member

I use to do that also thinking it would help me zero in on the target in practice but have some forgiveness in a match. Later on I realized it was a myth and just started shooting 1 oz in matches for 16 yd targets and 1 1/8 oz for handicap. The only problem I have seen is that some bio targets just won't break with a 1oz shell. My match loads are 1oz 1200fps for 16 yds and 1 1\8 oz 1200 fps for handicap.

Just my 2 cents

George Ware

9. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

Iboh
    Interesting thing I learned...there is more shot in a 1oz load of 8's than there is in a 11/8oz load of 71/2's. I shoot one ounce exclusively.
    Kurt

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I did exactly what you are describing for many years. My reasoning was that the 1 Oz shells cost less to load and they kick less. Both of those things are true. But what I wasn't considering was the way the brain tends to retain these ideas and use it against you where ever possible. What I mean by that is if you shoot alot of 1 Oz shell because of the low recoil advantage you will balance that with the idea that 1 1/8 Oz shell are high recoil. Then subconsciously or consciously you take that bit of junk thought to the line on game day - not helpful. Alternatively, if you believe the 1 1/8 Oz shells perform better than the 1 Oz shells then you will take that bit of junk thought into your practice routine and the tendency will be to use that as an excuse for why your practice scores aren't that good as opposed to working on the real problem.

So which ever loading you choose it would be best if you stick to that and build confidence in it. If you are buying factory loaded ammo, there really is no cost benefit to using the lighter shot charges.

11. buckshot57

buckshot57 TS Member

I shoot 7/8 for practice & 1 oz in ata 16yard competition. Always 1-1/8 for handicap however. I think everyone someday will develop a flinch. Shooting 7/8 should extend my time before the flinch appears. At least this is my theory.

12. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Tripod, I like your thinking. Finding out for myself just lately that I don't need 1 1/8th to hit good from 27yds. I switched over and in a couple trips out to the range found myself breaking targets with one ounce just as well as with 1 1/8. Now, after this thread, I'll now have to go out and buy 7/8 wads and a new shot bushing from Hornaday. Tripod, if it works out I'll buy ya dinner some time. Of course that's after I deduct the wads and new bushing from the meal. LOL Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.