1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 oz. or 1 1/8 oz.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by revbook, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revbook

revbook Member

I have been shooting trap for a year and am considering reloading my own shells this winter. With the price of shot being the biggest expense I am looking into reloading 1 oz. #8 Gun Club and STS shells. I currently shoot 1 1/8 oz. shells and am averageing around a 20. Will I notice much difference by dropping to 1 oz. loads?

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Who knows what you'll notice, but why handicap yourself with 12.5% less lead?

3. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

You will certainly notice less recoil, & less lead cost. Lower scores, no, you will see no difference or probably due to being better able to stay in your gun due to less recoil.......higher scores.

If you want to go to 7/8 oz. loads for 16's you will save even more & shoot just as well if you are like most who go to lighter loads.

Good Luck!

4. Mohave60

Mohave60 Member

Try the 7/8 oz, claybuster gray and 17.5 of clay dot IM or Lt Full choke. works like a champ. Nice to shoot.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

This has almost never been discussed here. What a unique subject. LOL :)

6. revbook

revbook Member

Sure didn't take long to be criticized for an honest question. Why have a site with such knowledgeable participants if you can't take advantage of it? This may indeed have been asked but I am not aware of it or I wouldn't have asked. I thank those who replied constructively and look forward to more helpful replys.

7. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

revbook,

Go scan this forum and a couple of threads up or down you will see a big discussion on this subject.Take it for what it's worth!!!!!.

Sandy Holehouse.

8. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Revbook.

Here in Australia 1oz has to be shot as a rule, can only shoot 1 1/8oz in Handicap events.

Scores only went up not down, lighter recoil, better shot patterns is where you will notice the difference. (and more money in your pocket)

Yours in sport,

Gary Kennerson......aka. Release Trigger.

9. grntitan

It was a joke Rev. You'll have to have thicker skin to make it here and i hope you do stick around. I apologize if you took it wrong. Not my intention.

10. RogerAckerman

RogerAckerman Member

Hey Revbook, I am new to Trap Shooting also, just started up last August. I began reloading about 4 months ago: and played around with 1oz and 11/8 oz loads just to see how my scores changed. I found that I shoot about the same scores using both.There are those days when I can shoot 23-25's with 1 1/8oz and then switch to 1oz and still shoot a 25. then there are other days I can't hit a 25 even with the 1 1/8 oz loads. I decided I wanted to practice with the 1oz loads, I think it does help you zero in on the clays better, and then when I shoot Competively I switch over to the 11/8oz to throw all I can at the clays.
    I did give the 7/8 loads a try, but I guess I am not good enough yet for that load , my scores dropped from a 23 averge to about a 19, I tryed the load for acouple trips to the club and then gave up and went back to using 1 or 11/8.

hope this helps alittle
    Roger

11. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

For singles--1 1/16 oz no 8 1/2 shot--1150 fps.......Perfection

Caps-- 1 1/8 no 8 shot--1200 fps

SMOKIT

12. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Rev- work up some 1 ounce loads and hit the pattern board. You might be surprised to see a higher percentage of pellets in a 30 inch circle than with 1-1/8 loads. If I can't break the target with 350 pellets, another 45 wasn't going to either.

Wayne

13. revbook

revbook Member

I have been shooting trap for a year and am considering reloading my own shells this winter. With the price of shot being the biggest expense I am looking into reloading 1 oz. #8 Gun Club and STS shells. I currently shoot 1 1/8 oz. shells and am averageing around a 20. Will I notice much difference by dropping to 1 oz. loads?

14. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Who knows what you'll notice, but why handicap yourself with 12.5% less lead?

15. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

You will certainly notice less recoil, & less lead cost. Lower scores, no, you will see no difference or probably due to being better able to stay in your gun due to less recoil.......higher scores.

If you want to go to 7/8 oz. loads for 16's you will save even more & shoot just as well if you are like most who go to lighter loads.

Good Luck!

16. Mohave60

Mohave60 Member

Try the 7/8 oz, claybuster gray and 17.5 of clay dot IM or Lt Full choke. works like a champ. Nice to shoot.

17. grntitan

This has almost never been discussed here. What a unique subject. LOL :)

18. revbook

revbook Member

Sure didn't take long to be criticized for an honest question. Why have a site with such knowledgeable participants if you can't take advantage of it? This may indeed have been asked but I am not aware of it or I wouldn't have asked. I thank those who replied constructively and look forward to more helpful replys.

19. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

revbook,

Go scan this forum and a couple of threads up or down you will see a big discussion on this subject.Take it for what it's worth!!!!!.

Sandy Holehouse.

20. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Revbook.

Here in Australia 1oz has to be shot as a rule, can only shoot 1 1/8oz in Handicap events.

Scores only went up not down, lighter recoil, better shot patterns is where you will notice the difference. (and more money in your pocket)

Yours in sport,

Gary Kennerson......aka. Release Trigger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.