1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 oz loads....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MDMike, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Well, last week I got my nerve up and put a 1 oz charge bar in my 9000. I then sat down and loaded some STS hulls and claybuster wads to about 1235 fps with one ounce of shot. I went to the trap field thinking this was one of those "fly by night" ideas. This I gotta see. So to the 16 yard line I go, still very much the doubting Thomas. I called for the first bird and it disappeared in a clould of smoke. I couldn't believe it. They smashed birds with authority. And with noticeably less recoil. I'm now a believer. Tonight I've loaded two flats of them. How much shot have I wasted over the years. Wow, I had to experence this to believe it. Let's see now, 45 more shells in a bag of shot, 80 bags to a pallet, that's 3600 more shells. Unless something changes, at 16 yards it's 1 oz for me....

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

What took you so long, _GRIN_ now when you get the bug try 7\8 then you'll even more pleasantly surprised. Save the extra shot for hdcp & games. Those 7\8 work fine from 16 yds. with about30 thou. choke. Ross Puls

3. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Yes, 1 oz. loads are great. Also, you may want to try 7/8 loads which work just fine at 16 yards. Downrange XL-1 wads have data and can be used to load either 1 oz. or 7/8...I use STS or Rem Nitro hulls. Best Regard, Ed

4. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Back years ago before plastic wads, I loaded 17 grains of reddot with a airwedge wad, a filler wad, a plastic wrapper and 7/8 0z of shot. That load put a fantasic pattern on paper at 40 yards. I broke some really good scores with that load in a model 12 trap.

Dave

5. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

7/8 oz of 8s from the 16 is all you need, especially for practice rounds. Use 1oz for registered back to the 22 or so.

Save your shoulder and your wallet.

SW

6. dhip

dhip Active Member

Don't know if it's true or not,but one of the better shooters at my club swears 1oz. loads pattern better than 1 1/8 oz. loads.Haven't asked him what choke he used to determine that though.

Doug H.

7. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

What powder did you use. I want to roll some up and have redot and green dot on hand, trying to decide whivh one to use. Alot of pressure difference between to 2 powders. What would your choice of the 2.

8. doublegundarnet

doublegundarnet TS Member

Deffinatly red dot or promo. Red dot makes a higher pressure and is much cleaner. I broke my first 100 with 1 oz and will never change. The only reason I can see 1 1/8 is for caps.
    Good luck and keep shooting.
    Robbie

9. BIG B

BIG B Member

Red Dot for 1oz and 7/8. Green Dot is a much better handicap powder. Just my humble Irish opinion..........B

10. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

2500HD, I used Hodgden Clays. Burns clean and I have a lot of it...

11. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have been using 7/8 oz of 8.5 shot for 16 yards and like it just fine. I am using about 16.2 gr. Red Dot and recoil is lighter and they break the targets just fine.

Allen

12. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Well, thanks for all the tips about 7/8 oz loads, but I'm just getting over these here 1 oz'ers. They work great. I still can't get over it. I believe that in those practice rounds Sunday I picked up a couple of birds above my average. Maybe a fluke, but I'm definately gonna shoot 'em again.

13. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

17.5gr. Clay Dot powder, pink Claybuster wad (CB1100), Nobel or Winchester 209 primer, Remington STS/Premier/Gun Club hull. Runs about 1235fps and crushes targets out of a Carlson extended Modified tube in my BT-99. Recoil is light and I shoot this for single, caps, and in games. Love this load!

14. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have done a lot of practice with 3/4 oz. loads and they will smoke them with the best of them. Same with 7/8 oz. The only reason I don't like to shoot those lighter loads is they do not create as much pressure and some of the powders do not burn clean. Other than that I will put 3/4 or 7/8 oz. load against anybodies 1 oz. any day from the 16 yrd line.

15. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I use 17.8 grs. of Red Dot, TGT-12 wads, WW 209 primers, 1 oz. 8 1/2's, in a STS hulls. Tried 20 grs. of Green Dot with the same load, and found it to be dirty, with unburnt powder residue.

16. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Try Extra-Lite Powder (very clean and good pressures)this powder is set-up for 7/8 and 1 oz. loads! 7/8 oz of 8.5 shot, load them for 1200 to 1250 fps. I use a light full or full choke! Not a lot of recoil with the above.

17. dhip

dhip Active Member

18.5 green dot,tgt wads, cheddite primers works for me.

Doug H.

18. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

I use 1oz for everything now. Even the long crossers in Sportng.

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If a shooter smoked 2000 targets, I'd have to guess he did so within 6 inches or so of the pattern center? How many "gimmies" might one expect using the outer fringes of the pattern beyond the magical 30 inch pattern? I'd say the odds were borderline astronomical to depend on getting breaks beyond that circle! Possibly one out of how many?

Regardless of shot amount used, mis-read a target by 6" inches, mis-point it by 6" inches and you've missed that target by feet instead of inches! That, while thinking you should have smoked it??

Hap

20. Smokechaser

Smokechaser TS Member

I always have to smile when I see those Red Dot/Green Dot comparisons with lighter loads and how dirty the Green Dot was with alot of unburied power when the reloaders went from 1 1/8 oz to 1oz. I never bought it and never will.....cya

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.