1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 oz. loads ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RDM, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RDM

RDM TS Member

I bought some 3 1/4 dram - 1 oz. loads on a good deal.

I have not shot 1 oz. loads before.

I normally shoot a mod. choke, should I switch to a full choke, or just leave it alone?

For the folks on here that shoot 1 oz. loads, what choke do you use?

Thanks,
    RDM

2. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

...full...

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

Depends on your gun and shooting style. Try a round or two with your current setup and if you are not happy with your breaks or it feels like a bird or two squeaked through then tighten up a notch and try again until you are happy with the results.

--- Chip King ---

4. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I went to shooting 1 oz this year and my avg. went up frrom a 94 to 97. I think with less recoil I concentrate on the basics better. And I only shoot a full choke

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Full-nothing but full. If you doubt me-ask Leo!!

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You should tighten the choke up regardless of the shell you are going to use.

The ammo you got sounds like a dove load, it will break targets just fine but is higher velocity than you need. Recoil will probably be about like the 1 1/8 Oz target loads that you are use to.

7. dhip

dhip Active Member

Used a Carlson Full for a while.Then went with a Midas Full(tighter restriction)still breaking them.

Doug H.

8. Birddogfella

Birddogfella Member

As I only shoot from the 16 yd line, I find 1 oz and 7/8 oz loads through a MOD barrel to suit my needs fine.
    But... I'm a once-a-week shooter who is happy with big chips... have not caught the grind-them-to-dust bug yet.
    Happy shooting.
    ML Johnson

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

RDM, I'd keep your choke for 16 yard and see how you like it. I found no difference when I switched. Now I hope you like recoil, because those loads of yours will recoil like a l l/8 oz. load fired at 1,250 fps. One oz. at 1,290 fps is not a light load. Try a few at annie's or the like when practiceing and see how you like them there??? You might be surprised!!! Breake-m all. Jeff

10. RAScott

RAScott Member

I recently tried 1 oz with a mod choke and it crushes the target. i still shoot 1 1/8 oz for com. but i believe i will switch that too in time.

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

RDM, go with the people telling you to try what you normally use first, then change if you are not satisfied. The designation on the choke tube means nothing.

My bunker barrels are choked .019" and .032". With 24g (lighter than 7/8oz) bunker loads, singles targets are vaporized and 27 yard targets are broken into a dozen or more pieces. Most people would call the bottom barrel a Mod choke, but it sure performs better than that.

12. RDM

RDM TS Member

The 3 1/4 dram loads have a little punch to them but not enough to bother anything. And only having 1 oz. of shot they seem to be pretty dang fast. I have switched to a full choke and hope to see some difference the next time I go shoot.

Thanks for the replies and your insight.

13. Greg LV

Greg LV Member

16 yards try light mod with 1 ounce. Smokes em.

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I shoot 1 oz #8 @ 1180 fps thru' a .020" MOD choke from 16 yds.

FWIW......if you were expecting less recoil from shooting 1 oz those 3 1/4 dr shells will kick as hard as 1 1/8 3 dr's. Go to 1 oz 2 3/4 dr instead.

John C. Saubak

15. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I agree. I shoot 1145 FPS one once 8 1/2's. A guy gave me some fast one ounce 7 1/2's cause he said they kicked too much and he was right!

16. Loyac

Loyac Member

1 oz. 3.25 dram @ 1290 fps is a traditional dove load. If you really want to enjoy the benefits of the lighter load, try to keep it around 1200 fps. I shoot the Estate 1 oz. at around 1180 fps through an IM choke up to the 25 yard line. JOHN

17. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The cheap 1 oz. 1290 fps loads are called "Promo" loads and are intended primarily for doves and other small game. They contain soft shot.

My understanding is that these loads were developed to have sufficient recoil energy to function properly in the old Browning A-5's or "Humpback." They do kick.

The trap 1 oz. loads, either steel cased budget loads or brass cased premium loads have better shot and less recoil.

Ed Ward

18. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I think, most people over choke. I use a IM at singles and a light full on the back line with 1 oz loads. They seem to crush targets if I do my job. Besides, I'm not Leo. I like a few more pellets in the outside ring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1 ounce trap loads
1 oz trap loads

1oz trap loads

1ozloadsfor trap
best 1 ounce trap load
do you like 1 oz at 1180
estate 1 ounce 3 dram load
fast one oz shells for trap