1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 oz load

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nailer123, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

I'm going to load some 1 oz loads in gun club hulls .17.5 win 209 clays what do you think is the best wad.

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I use Remington TGT-12S wads for 1 oz in STS and Gun Club hulls. I don't have enough experience with the DRM replacements to recommend one way or the other. However, at only $10 less per 5,000 than the Remingtons, I seriously doubt I will change. A friend uses Green Dusters and has great success. I just bought 1,000 to try.

That being said, the interior profile of a Remington shotshell hull is much different than any other. Any wad designed for a different hull is going to be larger at the base than a Remington TGT-12 or Fig-8. That will increase pressure. There also issues with proper fit (without adjusting the press). So I heartily recommend going with the TGT-12 wad for 1 oz, or the DRM replacement Phil recommends above. The TGT-12 was designed for the hull you are using, patterns very well, and fits perfectly.

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The Remington TGT12S and FIG8S are THE wads for the STS hull. loads. Yes, they are a little more expensive but they go through my MEC Grabber with ease while the Clay Buster equivalent required a lot of downward pressure and gave a loud snap when seated. I threw out a couple of thousand of the Clay Buster wads as I was afraid of the consistency of loads using them.

Ed Ward

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

DRXL1 wad in AA or STS hulls, 1 oz of 8's or 8 1/2's work for me.

JC

Hell, Michigan

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Geez! I can buy all the TGT-12 wads I want for $84 or $90 per 5,000, depending on where I buy. CAC had the DRM replacements on special at the PA State Shoot for $78.50 (could have been $74.50) and that is the cheapest I've seen them anywhere.

6. Richshoots

Richshoots TS Member

Try Claybuster " Lightning". Loads 7/8 or 1 oz. loads with no press changes.
    I shoot 7/8 oz of 9 shot @1250 FPS and demolish the birds.
    Rich Larsen

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've had many years of success with the AA 12SL, CB pink winchester clone, the GreenDuster, and DownRange XL 1. Cost being equal, the DownRange would be my first choice and GreenDuster last, however I usually end up with the Winchester clone for lack of a close dealer for the XL 1.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

8. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Definetely the Downrange XL-1 or Jammer XL-1 wad. I sell him and load them. They are great!

Matt - Woodson Enterprises
    (270) 804-5454

9. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Try the DR XL-1. I always used the Rem. TGT 12S (great wad) but switched to the DR wad loaded in STS and Gun Clubs. I also tried the DR TGT wad, but liked the XL-1 better. Good shooting, Steve

10. Kolarmaxx

Kolarmaxx TS Member

I use the exact same recipe. Only use the rem wad. It's the perfect height and is as good as factory, only softer. Chris

11. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Windjammer makes a really good wad. There yellow. WJ-II? Dave T.

12. REDD04

REDD04 TS Member

BDodd,

You rate the wads as DR, Claybuster, and Duster as 1, 2, 3 respectively. What do you base this on? Just curious as I'm still trying to settle on a good 7/8 or 1 oz practice load.

Thanks,
    REDD04

13. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I've had excellent results from 1oz of 8 1/2's, 18.2gr. Clays, Fiocchi 616 primers, Downrange Jammer XL1 and/or XL-1 in all of Remingtons hulls, Black, Gun Club or STS. These have been great loads for 16 yds. @ approx. 1200 fps.
    Hodgdon web-site shows these wads with your load of 17 Clays and Win. 209 primers CB-4100-12 @ 1180fps, Rem. TGT12 @ 1180 fps, WAA12sl @1180 fps and Windjammer's @ 1125 fps. Downranges Jammer XL-1 is the same as Windjammer and their XL-1 is the same as WAA12SL, I prefer Downrange.

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Another vote for the Downrange XL-1

You can get the same muzzle velocity (according to the data tables) with a little less powder using the Downrange XL-1 than the TGT-12 or its clone.

I do use the TGT-12 or its Downrange clone for my 1-1/8 ounce loads with Hodgdon Titegroup.

15. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

OK, I use Remington hulls, Winchester primers, 16.5 gr of Clays or Claydot, and GreenDuster wads. I'm hopefully the friend that ZZT refers to who uses this combo with great success.

The reason for the Greendusters or their clones over Remington wads is that they just work smoother in my Dillon reloader. They are slick and problem free.

Having said that I just picked up a case of Downrange wads at the PA State shoot because, well, they caught my eye both in color (hideous chartreuse) and price. I think they were XL1's but they're not in front of me.

I loaded them some last night and was very impressed. I didn't think anything would be slicker than Dusters but these were. I think the reason is that the pedals tend to spread instead on constrict so there is no chance of tucking a pedal under.

I'll shoot some this afternoon and hopefully they'll perform on par with Dusters.

Jerry

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Jerry,

I used to use the Green Dusters, and there's not a thing wrong with them, but I like how the Downrange XL-1's load in my 366.

Honestly, as far as how they work once they leave the barrel, I can't tell the difference.

I think you'll like them.

17. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

REDDO4, my choices in order are so close as not to be critical to me. I'm perfectly happy with the WW 12SL and the CB clone when the price is right and considering availability. However, it's clear the DR XL 1 just slips into the hull so nicely that it would be my first choice. I had some issues with the last time I played with the green dusters - long enough ago that I can't say I remember what it was. They too are not easy for me to get as the 12SL and CB clone. Currently using DRs and would be delighted to stick with them if I didn't have to drive 6 hours round trip to get them or pay to deliver. Since you mentioned the 7/8 loads, I've been married to them, 512 #9s, for many years with the WW 12L or the CB clone - very effective for skeet, close sporties, trap doubles, and singles....Bob Dodd

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I like the REM factory TGT12s wads available locally, they also stay on the tube of my mec 650 makes for easy loading. Downrange TGT12 are very good but not available locally. Dr's are also not stitched so need to manipulate the wad on the guide more.

19. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clay buster loads for cb-4100-12 1 oz loads