1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 oz load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sport303, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sport303

sport303 Member

i am trying to work up a clean burning one oz. load at 1325 to 1350. amusing it in sporting clays. have loaded up 21.5 super hdp. powder will ckeck this load shortly. thanks for any info. jack concannon

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Jack, You can use most of the regular 12 ga. powders for what your looking for. Just look up data yourself. I like Hodgdon Clays, but Red Dot, Promo, 700X, Clay Dot will all work just fine. Just use a one oz. Try Hodgdon.com for Hodgdon's powders and 700X, and Alliantpowder.com for Alliants powder. Good Luck and break em all Jeff

3. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

The load I use for sporting clays is Rem. Nitro hulls, Down Range TGT 12 wads, Cheddite 209 primers, and 19gr Alliant E3. This is a very clean burning load, and produces around 1310 fps. Not quite up to the speed you asked for, but this is the most efficient load comparing speed to grains of powder I could find. Have looked into the Super Handicap powder, but it took a considerable bit more powder than E3 did to attain the same speed. Hope this helps. Garrett

4. sport303

sport303 Member

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Most of the "typical" one ounce powders, Clays, Titewad, Red Dot, won't get you to the speed you are looking for.

Have a look at Hodgdon Titegroup or Hodgdon International Clays. Either will get you to the speed you are looking for.

6. quartering

quartering Active Member

interesting perspective: why do sporting loads have to be faster than trap or skeet loads? thanks

7. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Because the targets move faster. On a more serious note, I really don't know. I shot sporting clays for quite a while until I found out that fast 7 1/2's was where it was at with sporting clays.

8. TjayE

TjayE Member

Jack, I remember when you won the Doubles Championship at Vadalia with a one ounce load. Many, many years ago. Tom

9. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

Because there's no speed limit on your shells

10. sport303

sport303 Member

thanks for the feedback in the loads. to answer the question as to why you want a fast load. some targets are very far 40 to 80 yrds. sometimes 15 20 ft. lead.faster pellet has more energy to break bird. thanks jack concannon

11. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

The most consistent 1 ounce load I've tested in that region uses 18.5 grains Alliant E3 with a R209 & TGT wad in an STS hull for an average of 1330 fps. I loaded the same recipe with the factory Rem TGT wad and the Claybuster version and tested both at 15 degrees F and 70 degrees F. Bottom line, the loads were virtually identical at 70 deg with only 25 fps extreme spread and SD=9. Chilling thenm to 15 deg F for 24 hours resulted in a velocity loss of only 20 fps. This was the data I used to justify using Claybuster wads forever more.

[​IMG]

12. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

Interesting velocity findings, Mike. Looks like your loads were producing higher velocities than Alliant shows in their load data. I'm loading 19gr E3 with TGT 12 wads, Alliant rates this load around 1310...really makes me wonder exactly how much faster this load may be than that. Garrett

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

1oz at 1350 will be punishing. Hard to believe you really need that much speed.

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Sure wonder how I break many sporting birds with 7/8 oz of 9s at just 1220. Great scores? No but not cuz of the shells. Of course I tend to shy away from quarter mile crossers and rabbits.....breakemall

15. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Garrett,

I find that's not uncommon with just about any powder I load, but seems to always be the case with E3. I don't worry so much about the bias in my data. I'm much more interested in the consistency and that's why I chronograph. FWIW, my velocities always agrre well with Tom Armbrusts's when I have him pressure test my loads. I'll bet you're 1350+ at 4 feet from the muzzle. Note my Remington 3DE factory control though.

My current use for E3 is for a wimpy 7/8 bread & butter load for practice clays. I load off-the-chart-low with 14.5 grains E3 and get 1175fps. I started that before Alliant came out with Extralite. I'll probably switch eventually.

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I think you'll be very happy if you try some 1250 fps loads. I've used them shooting Annie's from the 30 yard line even if I'm the 3 shooter and hiting the targets just before they hit the ground at the 50 yard stick. I use Rio's shells (green ones) factory 1250 fps with 7 l/2 shot size. Remember that Euro shells have a smaller shot size in the same number than the American sized shot. So I was using a slightly over sized #8 and less than American #7 l/2. These pellets had plenty of energy at 80 yards. Stop worrying about shells and chokes and just shoot the target. break em all Jeff

17. surfcitydude

surfcitydude Member

I have a 1oz. load that is great to shoot. Rem STS hull, CB8100 wad(rem fig 8 clone) Winn209 primer, 19.2 gr. Titewad powder. #8 lead shot. Produces 1290fps. Shoots great pattern and very crisp feel, with reduced recoil. I used it today for wobble and shot the best scores I have ever done. Very good range when I need the second shot (4 time in each round). (46 out of 50).

18. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

Mike C,

I switched to Extra-Lite a few months ago for my 7/8 oz. 5-stand and sporting practice loads, and couldn't be happier. I'm loading a little under 16 grains in a Rem. case with Cheddite primer and CB clone for the Win. 12SL. Pressures are in the 7500 LUP range, it burns very clean, and it goes out at 1250 fps with very mild recoil. I just opened my second 8 pound caddy, so I'm pretty well sold on the powder.

I've also been playing with 14.5 grains of XL and CB's new 1034-12 3/4 oz. wad and 8.5's at 16 yd. trap with good results through an IM choke.

See you at The Deuce.

19. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Dosen't anyone use Red Dot anymore----I use 17.6 RD with # 8 shot, Fed 209 and comparable wad to the hull----Seems to be all you need @ 16 yds---SJB

20. sport303

sport303 Member

many thanks for all the input guys.been busting clays for over 40yrs but never used too many one oz. . thanks to all jack concannon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1 ounce trap loads using red dot powder

1oz skeet loads with e3

alliant e3 12 ga loads

best e3 1oz loads for 12ga

cb8100-12 load data

load data 1 oz 1350 fps

super handicap or titewad for 1 oz trap loads

to move 1 oz lead shat at 1350 ft sec