1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 oz. load in an Activ hull

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by leftex, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leftex

leftex Active Member

I recently came across a couple of thousand once fired 12 Ga. Activ hulls. I would like to load a 1 ounce load at 1200/1250 fps. I would also like to use Clays or Universal powder. What wad do I use? Does anybody have a published load that they have used?
    Thanks,
    Wayne

2. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

I have loaded lots of the Activ hulls with 1oz. The claybuster 12S0 wad works great but the Win pink wads will also work. I use Solo 1000 but I am sure Clays or International Clays would work also. I usually load them once or twice then let them go since much beyond that the crimp folds begin to crack. There might still be some of the Activ TG-30 red wads still around, they were first choice with 12S0 next.

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

leftex:

I'm having a heck of a time formating the loading data. The following should be clear enough and is accurate...

I found a Hodgdon Basic Reloaders Manual dated 1996 among my old reloading guides. It lists the following one ounce loads using Activ hulls and regular Clays powder.

Fed 209A Primer, 18.0 grains Clays, 12SO wad, 1180 fps/ 8400 psi

Win 209 Primer, 17.5 grains Clays, WAA12SL wad, 1180 fps/7800 psi

There are variations for 1235 and 1290 fps loads as well.

And... there are some one ounce loads using International Clays. There weren't any one ouce loads listed using Universal Clays.

Let me know if you're interested in the faster variations using regular Clays or the recipes using International Clays and I'll share them as well.

sissy

PS: For what its worth, old Alliant manuals listed ounce and an eighth Red Dot and Green Dot loads using one ounce wads including 12SO and WAA12F1. That was because the Activ hull had a large internal capacity.

sissy

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have had great luck with REX I in super roomy hulls. I was given a 30 gallon bucket of OF Activ's a while back. I did not let them go to waste!

The 12SO is a fabulous wad!

5. leftex

leftex Active Member

Thanks for all the information. I have located a 1996 version of the Hodgdon manual.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.