1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 oz from the 25yd line?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gjmen, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gjmen

gjmen Member

I am thinking of trying a softer load for handicap. I switch this year from 1 1/8 oz to 1 oz for singles and wished I did it years ago. However, what are your thoughts of swicthing to 1 oz of 7.5's @ 1200 fps for the 25yd line? Thanks, gjmen

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

As long as you shoot very accurately and use eights,I doubt you will know the difference except in recoil. You have to accept,however,that the farther you are off from the right place,the more the lighter load is going to cost you.

Neil

3. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Yes, you can break any/all trap targets from 25 yds with 1 oz. If you think patterns are too thin with 7.5s, try 8s. Might be a good idea to use lt. full or full chokes. Best Regards, Ed

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I get good breaks at the back fence if I am caught with only one ouncers at 1250 fps. This is the same speed as my regular 1 1/8 ounce caps load.

I would also suggest TIGHT or TIGHTER for a choke selection.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The 25 yard line and beyond really starts to test your ammo as well as your abilities. Yes the 1 Oz shell will do the job and because they are more comfortable you will probably shoot them better but you better be on because outside of the pattern core there are many holes big enough to let a target through. And yes, I love shooting the 1 Oz shells too.

Give it a fair try in practice and form your own opinions.

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I load some 1235fps one ounce shells that are fantastic at the 25 if you shoot pretty quick. I use them mainly in sporting turnaments, but they work well on the trap field.

I'd load a few boxes and go to the club and see how they work. You'll get good performance from a .035 (full) choke restriction.

ss

7. KRK32

KRK32 Member

The chokes the key to good performance with a 1oz i shoot a .020 choke with 11/8 for handicap and it will smash a target when i try an oz at long yardage its just chip and flake. My buddy shoot partner has a ks5 with a wilkinson .040 choke he shoots a 1oz for everything until we leave the pad even for backup shots and you would never know it. But .040 might be a little overkill for a tight choke. Kirk

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Choke up, increase the velocity, point right and you'll be fine!!

9. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Yes. Assuming.... I recently had the pleasure of shooting a "protection" squad from 27 using Estate Factory loads - 1 oz. 2 3/4 dr. #8's. Everything broke well high quality hits, but not much smoke) and even took the event in a shootoff from Position #7 at about 30 yards. (using KX5 34" using the .030 choke)

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

1 oz, #8's, 19.5 GD, about 1200fps will smash targets from anywhere. That's about all I use anymore. Very little recoil.

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

I guess I am in the minority. But then I am not very good - stuck on the 24 for a year now.

Maybe a 1 oz load would help, but my little pea brain tells me less shot means fewer hits.

All the 27 yarders I know shoot 1 1/8 oz - not just those who average below 90 and refuse reductions; but the ones who shoot good scores in competition and play the options,

Don Verna

12. otnot

otnot Active Member

1oz of 8's is all I use for practice from the 27.

13. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

gjmen.. Read Neil's post again, carefully. He is absolutely right. Your margin for error decreases dramatically as you move back in yardage, and you will need all the help you can get from your load. I believe his suggestion to use 8's rather than 71/2's is based on the theory that you are putting more shot on the target to help make up for the lighter payload. Is this correct, Neil? I took the same route you are taking for a while, however, I hit the wall at the 25 yard line and just set up camp there. I soon found out that I just couldn't hit the targets as often, or as well, as I could when I was shooting 11/8oz. 71/2's from that yardage. I switched to shooting only 3dr. 71/2's, and made the 27 yard line within 5 shoots. I, personally, prefer 3dr. 71/2's for all my shooting beyond the 25 yard line, and use the same shell for the second shot on doubles..... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I shot some new Nitro 27's that were 1 Oz. of 8's from the 27 yardline and they smoked the targets I hit, didn't have any effect on the targets I missed ... I broke a 96 and was not unhappy with that, so yes they will work ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

It's mostly a personal thing. I always felt better putting as much shrapnel in the air as possible.

BB

16. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

1oz loads for handicap from the 25 on back are great if your last name is Harrison or Campbell. LOL.
    Personally I like to put as much lead down range as possible. Ocassionally those additional pellets will get you an extra bird.

Shoot well.

17. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

1 1/8 oz. of 7 1/2s @ 1100 fps. Lots of lead in the air, low recoil at the other end. This load will have the same recoil as 1 oz. @ 1225.

18. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

1oz. 8's, 20.5 Gr. Green Dot, Downrange (Purple PC, if you can find them as they don't make them anymore) STS Hull, Win Primer. Got me to the 27, just could'nt stay there.

19. gjmen

gjmen Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I am going to play around with some different loads this winter and come to a conclusion by spring. gjmen

20. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

With all the quality information/data available, why would you want to handicap yourself with a light load?

If the recoil of a "Handicap Load" bothers you, then you may need to have your gun fitted properly with a quality recoil reduction system.

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.