1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 oz For HCP?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RHAT, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RHAT

RHAT Member

Is there any dis-advantage to using a 1250 fps 1 oz load for long yardage (25-27) as compared to a 1 1/8 oz???..... also will 7.5 or 8 work better

Your thoughts,???

2. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

How could less shot or smaller shot be an advantage?

jim brown

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Jim, he didn't ask for "advantages" he wondered if there are disadvantages.

RHAT, folks meaning well like Jim will tell you there are disadvantages; that smaller and fewer shot is automatically a disadvantage. My thinking is that there are folks that have flinching problems from heavy loads, 1 1/8 oz at 1235 fps and others and they should give a try at lighter loads along with gun fit and any other method of gaining comfort while shooting. There are marginally more #8 pellets in an ounce of shot than there are in 1 1/8 oz of #7 1/2s. Before physical problems put an end to my competitive trapshooting, I shot caps with 1 oz of 8s for at least 20 years, all were reloads, and I kept the velocity down to 1180 to 1220 at different times, and they got me to the 26 yard line. I shot with various regulars in squads and I believe we were all 1 oz believers. The key in my mind is what are you confident in with your loads; if you worry they aren't enough, they probably aren't. The opposite is just as true......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

No disadvantage at all. You shoot them and I'll continue to shoot ounce and an eighth.

5. RHAT

RHAT Member

Well Barry,...... it was an honest question,..... considering that Intl trap uses 7/8 oz,... and their targets are faster and hit futher out than trap,... one could wonder why they dont use 1oz or 1 1/8oz,..... and if 1 1/8 is better,.. would your scores go up if you used 1 1/4,???,..... I think not,.... but if fill your days sitting on TS com,.... waiting to offer your smartass remarks,..... your scores probally arent an issue,.......

If you have a reason that 1 oz is a disadvantage,.... please share it,.. or keep your thought to yourself

6. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

In 2008 i made my way to the 27 with 1 0z, broke many 97 and 98's from the 27 with 1oz since, for pratice i shoot 7/8, it seems to help get centered up on the target, in competion i shoot 1oz or 1 1/8,Chuck

7. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I shoot 1 oz of 7.5's @ 1200, and they smoke targets at hdy cap.

tony

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

One eighth of an ounce. More lead more breaks. Mine was an honest answer. Taking offense is your problem.

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The following graph compares the probability of a single-pellet hit with Remington shells shot through a good full-choked gun. The only thing wrong with fewer pellets is the increased probability you will miss a bird you would have hit with more shot. How often does it happen? Seldom, probably, but how often are handicaps won by a bird or two in a hundred?

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Neil

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Yep, 1 oz. shells are just fine.....but please play all the options.

Thanks in advance.

Curt

11. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

No disadvantage at all. You shoot them and I'll continue to shoot ounce and an eighth.

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

"how often are handicaps won by a bird or 2 in a hundred?" Neil, your either kidding, or you've been hanging around too many big shoots. Get out of that ivory tower and come down here with us little guys.

13. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Barry,im gonna get right on this wagon also-
    THERES NO DISADVANTAGE SHOOTING ONE OUNCE LOADS,BUT i WILL CONTINUE SHOOTING 1. 1/8 OZ. LOADS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sandy Holehouse.

14. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

My mind is at a disadvantage and thus believes that it has an advantage with 1.125 over 1.

15. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

As much as shot has in factoring a hit, my feeling is finding a gun that throws a really tight pattern to begin with. I've seen marginal shooters that one day show up with a gun that shoots a great tight pattern. For a couple of rounds you're a little confused as to how the guy all of a sudden got so much better. Then you notice he's got a new gun. Maybe it just fits him better, who knows. But by the way a gun smokes targets you generally can tell one that throws a great pattern. JKP

16. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

over the years there have been numerous shooters on this site stating how 8 shot is better then 7 1/2's for long yardage handicap. give me a break. there is a reason why there is a rule that we can not use any shot larger than 7 1/2's. regarding one ounce loads for handicap, get serious, sure you can break a target from long yard even using a 7/8 oz load, but the name of the game is breaking targets. when the big dogs are shooting for the $100,000.00 this year, do you honestly think they will be using 1oz loads of 8's?
    steve balistreri

17. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Steve,

You said it all!!!!.When that $100,000.00 deal has been shot off,Id bet it wont be with 1oz loads,if it is it's a fluke .
    Sandy Holehouse in Handicap 3drm. 1 1/8 7.5s

18. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I'll buy into the 1 1/8 load of 7 1/2's for handicap, but not the 3 dram powder & resulting excess recoil........I'll keep my loads at 1150 & not beat myself up.

19. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Sandy:
    if they were shooting a calcutta for $100,000.00 in winter, and it was cold, and were allowed to use reloads, some would use 9's, "4's and 5's".
    steve

20. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

There is more than one school of thought here. For those of us that also shoot sporting clays, where the shots are substantially more complex and lead allowance is a major part of the equation, then the old adage that "speed kills" is an important truism. I think that Mr. Winston has demonstarted in the past that when all is said and done that the 1 1/8th load will put more shot in the pattern, particularly in the outer third of the pattern...a distinctly desireable advantage. However, some would argue that a heavy load, eg. 1/8th oz., upon ignition many of the pellets in the bottom of the hull may become so deformed by compression that they do not fly truely and can be ineffective at breaking clays. To me, this is probably not accurate for 16 yd. shots, but may be a factor at the 27 yard line, particularly with lower-antimony shot. But, the strong trend in the sporting community where 40+ yard shots are not at all uncommon, is going to 1 and 7/8th oz loads at 1300+ fps. And these are very serious shooters, as well, looking for any advantage they can get. Perhaps, for them, speed is significantly more important than a larger, more dense pattern. And then again, maybe its all a search for that majic bullet that will somehow compensate for lesser ability. One thing that is also significant and true, the lighter shot loads generate significantly less actual recoil. For some, that is a significant issue.

WNCRob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.