1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 oz Down Range Jammer loads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by renfrow25, Aug 22, 2013.

1. renfrow25

renfrow25 Member

Any data for 1 oz apps with the 1 1/8 oz Jammer using Alliant powders? I have Gr Dot, E3, Am Select, Extra Lite, Unique, and 20/28 to work with. Mostly Win 209 primers and Rem and AA hulls to work with. I'm guessing the AAHS hulls would be a better fit. Any info?

Thanks
    rnfro

2. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Using Green Dot, you have a wide selection of powder loads for 1 1/8 oz. I prefer 19.5 of Green Dot = about 1,230 fps. You can use 20 grains or 21 grains or down to 19.0 Consult your reloading guides, measure your powder drops with a scale, and then calibrate your loads with a chronograph. Fred

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Re-read your message. Use the right wad for the right amount of shot. Red Dot for 1 ounce is better than Green Dot, but you can still use Green Dot. Consult your Reloading Guide for the correct wad for the amount of shot. I recommend the Spolar Gold wads in either 1 oz. or 1 1/8 oz. Fred

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I couldn't find any data using the 1 1/8 oz Jammer wad to load 1 oz loads. I'm sure there are safe amounts of powder to use. I would contact Alliant. see link above, or start with a light 1 1/8 oz load, and drop 1 oz instead, and see what your crimp looks like. The pressure won't go up, using less shot than called for. Mark

5. RLC323

RLC323 Member

When the original Windjammer Wads came out there was 1 ounce and 1 1/8 ounce Data provided with a sheet inserted into each bag. Here are the original four pages of data from about 1980 or so.

I have found that using the WJ 1 1/8 wad for 1 ounce loads will give you a slightly dished in crimp. The dished in crimp seems to have no affect on performance. Your results may vary with your particular powder choice.
    rlc323_2008_03031.jpg

rlc323_2008_030375.jpg

rlc323_2008_030376.jpg

rlc323_2008_030377.jpg

6. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Here is page 1 of the '86 WJTW insert. It is a bit different than the previous images. WJ says to use a card wad or another insert to make the crimps come out right. I know a fellow that uses a 'wad punch' to cut slices from thin styrene packing material at the bottom of his shot cup to make a 1 ounce load come out. He shoots in the high 90's so it works for him.

Don T

7. brownk80

brownk80 Member

It has always amazed me when I read threads like this. There are dozens of wads, powder, primers, shot weights and hulls and hundreds if not thousands for recipes in numerous reloading books and it seems that almost everyone who reloads tries to invent their "own special" load. They do this without benefit of test equipment, pressure chambers, etc., etc., etc. SOMETIMES, AND I REPEAT SOMETIMES, this MIGHT repeat MIGHT result in as good a load as you can find in reference material but probably very rarely. But, I would be willing to bet money that more often than not it results in loads that border on dangerous. JMHO

8. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

The heading and question seem incongruous. If you're talking about DR's purple 1oz wad, then use STS or Nitro hulls with Win primers, and go from there. Keven lists dozens of lab tested loads for that combination, all great performers to suit any application. For what it's worth, I've migrated to International Clays and DR wads (both 1&1 1/8oz) for all 12ga loads.

best ..mike

9. renfrow25

renfrow25 Member

Mike....I wish I had the 1 oz purple wads, but it is the orange 1 1/8 oz wads that I have. I was just wondering if anybody has tried dropping an ounce in them with any success with crimps or patterns.

Thanks for all the replies

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

gasket punch and meat trays from the store, make your own fillers. Or get a box of 20 gauge cards. Or use a bulky powder like PB. You have a lot of options. One is to trade wads with a pal and avoid all the mental masturbation.

FWIW slightly over pressure loads due to interpolation of data are not that dangerous but will beat the crap out of your gun, which is why I don't do it.

From another forum:

"modern 12 ga. guns are actually proof tested at 18-20,000 PSI and will almost all withstand around 45-50,000 PSI before they fail. I am not suggesting ever going over the 12,000 psi recommendation as a maximum for the 12 ga. guns. I am just saying that there is a considerable safety margin built in out of an abundance of precaution by the gun makers."

HM

11. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Ren: there is a multitude of "depends"in this equation. For instance, using a fiber wad on top of the shot, and I've done it with 7/8oz loads, following the notes in the manual, but that depends upon what machine you have. When I had a MEC, it was easy; but not so, with a P/W machine. So far as extrapolating or guessing, not that it's so dangerous; but you want to end up with a quality product, and I wouldn't do it. Another of those "depends" is how many wads are we talking about? Surely, you're gonna be using 1 1/8oz loads sometime, and if it were me, I'd just save 'em for whenever, and go buy some Purple Jammer XL's from Keven and be done with it.

best....mike

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I found Clay Dot to be more bulky than other powders to a degree. Titewad 18 grains from a 31 bushing, Clay Dot took a 33 to achieve 18.

HM

Search tags for this page

titewad18 grains