1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 OZ 8s for Both Doubles ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ljutic73, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I use Win. 1oz 8's for both shots...works like a damn when I'm doin' my part.

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I use 7/8oz of #9s for my 1st shot, and either 1oz of 8s or 1 1/8oz of 7 1/2s for the second, depending on conditions.

AndyH

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I don't think the shells were the key, think back on what else you did right,then repeat as necessary.

4. Otter

Otter TS Member

I recently ran a 99 and a 97 in doubles with Estates 1 oz #8. I started shooting 1 oz on both shots early in 2008. My average is up 10 birds over a 5 month period.

Luxor

5. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I don't consider myself a high-scoring doubles shooter (88% this year on 2100 ATA doubles), but I do use 1 oz of #8 on both almost all of the time.

6. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

I have used 1 ounce of 8s' for singles and BOTH shots of Doubles for several years now. The same load, this years dbls ave was 96.39, last year at 96.60, this years singles at 98.82.

I know my aerages went up when I started using 1 ounce loads several years ago, especially on dbls, less recoil, allows you to stay in the gun more.

Dennis Whitlock

7. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

1oz #8 Estates are a great shell.

8. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

I use 1oz'ers for the first shot only, 1 1/8 for the second.

However, I think I'll be switching to 7/8oz for first shot. My mist birds, 99% of the time, are cause by the gun moving in my shoulder caused by first-shot recoil. It causes me to shoot over the second bird.

9. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

To each his own, but, I use 1oz 8 on first and 1 1/8 on second in tounaments, practice with 1 oz 8 both.

10. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I shoot one ounce for both...my average is up two birds...

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

The shells you shot were not as important as how you shot the shells.

Many years ago Frank Little told me to shoot a very light shell for the first shot and my normal 16 yard shell for the second shot. I have followed Frank's advice.

Pat Ireland

12. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I generally shoot 7/8 oz of 8 1/2's 1250fps for my first shot and a 1 oz load of 8's for my second shot, traveling about the same speed as my first shot. Works for me, but it's not for everyone.

ec90t

13. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Sam, I'm afraid you are in for a disappointment if you think there'll be anything magic about 7/8 for that first shot. I've done it plenty of times and can't tell the recoil from handloaded (a bit slow) one ounce shells. There's nothing wrong with an ounce, no benefit I can tell from lighter/faster/trendier. One ounce works fine for both shots, but since I'm dead, absolutely sure that the upper barrels of my Perazzis kick _less_ than the lower (not the oft-claimed more) I shoot 1 1/8 there and am always impressed at how much less the recoil is than the lower barrel. I'd rate 3-dram 1 1/8 from the top barrel about a tie with one or less ounce - no difference between 7/8 and one - from the lower barrel.

Neil

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Pat, Frank Little also said to use the same shells for both shots to eliminate confusion. There may have been two Frank Littles!!

15. A201

A201 TS Member

I have used one ounce at 1145 fps for the first shot and any 1 1/8 for quite some time on the second and carry a 92+ avg. on 5000 targets. For some reason (like Neil thinks) my kolar feels softer from the top Bbl. even with the bigger shell. Next season I will be going to one ounce for both to ease confusion time will tell. Roger

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

oleolliedawg- Frank must have given you different advice than he gave me. If this is true, we might speculate on the reasons he did this.

Pat Ireland

17. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

I have used 1 oz. #8s for years now. They work for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.