Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1 oz/71/2 @ 1290?

5K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  goatskin 
#1 ·
Ok, I some how got 5 flats of 1 oz of 71/2 @ 1290.
Anybody out there use this load? What do you use it for?

Phil Berkowitz

#15 ·
No where do I see that these are said to be promo loads. W-W AA and Rem N-27 both make a one ounce load at 1290 which is in fact a 3 dram load in this weight. I have used both of these loads for handi caps, turkey shoots and sporting clays and they both tend to pattern very well and while they are snappy the recoil is nothing like a 1 1/8 super handy cap load.

#18 ·
I shoot that shell and others just like it, the AA's, Nitros and even the Federal game load are a very good load for anything you want to shoot. I shoot all the disciplines and would not hesitate at any target presentation with this load. They pattern great, low recoil and they get there right now.
Try'em and I think you'll be impressed.

Darrell

#19 ·
Phil,
Those are nice shells. I have shot them and as described they are a quality shell. Sort of a oddball for Winchester and you don't see them all the time. I have used those shells for the sport of FITASC where 1 oz. is mandated and the targets are ridiculous. The shells should be a grey hull. If that is the case then enjoy them! They will work fine for you at handicap distances.
They are a bit sporty on the recoil side but probably similar to a 1 1/8 load at around a bit over 1200 fps.

Joe Hardage

#20 ·
They really obliterate short caps targets with an IM choke. It was hot for April @ a shoot I was at today the temp snuck up to 96 & I scratched after 50 targets in caps. It will be a learning experience for me in the Fl heat. But this load is terrific.

Phil Berkowitz

#21 ·
iWondering what would the recoil of these 1 oz loads @1290, compare to 118 oz @ 1200 FPS</i>

From the classic recoil/momentum formula:

- 1oz @ 1290 in an 8# gun is ~16½ ft-pounds

- 1-1/8oz @ 1200, 8# gun is ~17½ ft-pounds

There's not a lot of difference, but noticeable.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.